The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo_run

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2019, 01:20:10 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on October 20, 2019, 12:46:53 PM
Looking ahead to the next 4 year cycle Ireland and their new coaches will need to develop Carberry into a world class #10 which I am sure he has the ability to be with sexton hitting 38 in 2023 he probably won't be much more than a bit part player if even. We also need a new #9 whether thats gonna be McGrath who is definatley able to lead the new team or someone coming from the u20 squads of previous years.

Carberry not good enough, there has to be a better player to go with.

Definitely not Carty.

There's a few positions Ireland need to improve upon.

I think there should be a change to the law about players being allowed to play for Ireland only if they play here.

I think we need that experience of playing in different leagues across the world. If Leinster are producing a conveyor belt of talent in one area and only have 1 first team player and 2 replacements anything being that needs to be allowed to develop in another league.

David McKeown

Quote from: Solo_run on October 20, 2019, 01:26:12 PM
Looking ahead to the next 4 year cycle Ireland and their new coaches will need to develop Carberry into a world class #10 which I am sure he has the ability to be with sexton hitting 38 in 2023 he probably won't be much more than a bit part player if even. We also need a new #9 whether thats gonna be McGrath who is definatley able to lead the new team or someone coming from the u20 squads of previous years.

Definitely not Carty.

I think there should be a change to the law about players being allowed to play for Ireland only if they play here.

I think we need that experience of playing in different leagues across the world. If Leinster are producing a conveyor belt of talent in one area and only have 1 first team player and 2 replacements anything being that needs to be allowed to develop in another league.

I was arguing about this yesterday. Is the pay discrepancies between here and France as much as they were a few years back when this rule was introduced?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Solo_run

Quote from: David McKeown on October 20, 2019, 01:33:15 PM

Definitely not Carty.

I was arguing about this yesterday. Is the pay discrepancies between here and France as much as they were a few years back when this rule was introduced?

I think the past discrepancies are huge and the way club rugby is run in France has destroyed the international teams. I think Toulon are owned by a billionaire.

Ireland should show players to go but they should also only allow a set amount of players to leave from each province - but not hinder their chances to play for Ireland

Nanderson

Quote from: Solo_run on October 20, 2019, 02:19:05 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on October 20, 2019, 01:33:15 PM

Definitely not Carty.

I think the past discrepancies are huge and the way club rugby is run in France has destroyed the international teams. I think Toulon are owned by a billionaire.

Ireland should show players to go but they should also only allow a set amount of players to leave from each province - but not hinder their chances to play for Ireland
Absolutely agree with allowing players to go and experience different leagues and nationalities. Look at O'Gara, he jumped at the chance of experiencing something new as a coach and it should be something that Ireland should be encouraging. On ROG it would be good to see him involved with the Irish setup in years to come. Hes won a top 14 league and a super rugby championship as a coach and is now head coach in the top 14.   

Sportacus

Hopefully a new number 9 will be more interested in quick ball than those stupid box kicks

Scoring Zone

If there is a serious push on this WC Quarter Final thing, and the WC is the be all and end all then Healy, O'Mahony, Sexton, Kearney and Earls have to be culled and serious questions over Stander, Murray, Klyne, Murphy and blood brand new players with an effective game plan - this will probably lead to some very hard to watch years but it is either continue with what has been done before and peak mid-WC Cycle or get to a semi final - I don't think this will happen but I do think that the squad is in decline after 4-5 brilliant years (excluding 2015 WC) and a few players that you only get every 3 or 4 generations, BO'D, P'OC, J Sexton, Conor Murray etc. The barrel is dry and it will be tough watching for a while but it was good while it lasted

seafoid

I think it's a process.
Things they did well :
-playing and beating Southern Hemisphere beforehand (unimaginable 10-15 years ago )
- squad management in the pool stage

What didn't work
- Team didn't peak for the tournament
- Lack of flexibility against Japan

I think they'll learn a lot from this and you never know, they might get a handy quarterfinal next time
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: seafoid on October 20, 2019, 08:21:47 PM
I think it's a process.
Things they did well :
-playing and beating Southern Hemisphere beforehand (unimaginable 10-15 years ago )

What didn't work

I think they'll learn a lot from this and you never know, they might get a handy quarterfinal next time

They had handy QF draws in 2011 and 2015 and choked. Its seems to be mental thing too. Wales who over the last 20  yrs havent been much better have a far superior record in world cups AND 6 nations

seafoid

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 20, 2019, 08:32:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 20, 2019, 08:21:47 PM
I think it's a process.
Things they did well :

What didn't work

They had handy QF draws in 2011 and 2015 and choked. Its seems to be mental thing too. Wales who over the last 20  yrs havent been much better have a far superior record in world cups AND 6 nations
Wales are in a different league. They have qualified for 3 semi finals vs our 0. They have more Grand Slams in recent history. They are like say Meath whereas we would be Kildare.
Getting Ireland to where it is now took  lot of work but more work needs to be done to get it past the quarter final stage. That also means throwing the ball around a bit.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Nanderson

I'm sure NZ weren't too sure about Barrett as a world class 10 as he was always in and out of the team in his first few years depending on other players forms and carter still bossing it. Its amazing what a run of games could do for a player. Remember that sexton had a rough enough start to his Ireland career as the people still thought that O'Gara was the man but look how Johnny changed the team for the better once he got a continued run of games

Solo_run

Quote from: Nanderson on October 20, 2019, 09:11:32 PM

I'm sure NZ weren't too sure about Barrett as a world class 10 as he was always in and out of the team in his first few years depending on other players forms and carter still bossing it. Its amazing what a run of games could do for a player. Remember that sexton had a rough enough start to his Ireland career as the people still thought that O'Gara was the man but look how Johnny changed the team for the better once he got a continued run of games

I would hope over the next 4 years the provinces develop 3/4 fly half's that are capable.

whitegoodman

There is one over in London that would suffice

fearsiuil

We'll always have Chicargo.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 20, 2019, 10:29:59 PM
There is one over in London that would suffice

Yep and a moment of professionalism would have secured his place, but getting involved in situations has cost him dearly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Kimmage getting his claws stuck into Heaslip... will be interesting how that ends up!!!