Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Hawkeye9212

Proposal A = Tommy Murphy 2.0. The GAA are showing favouritism to Division 1 and 2 teams. Proposal B is slightly better. At least the Tier 2 champions will be rewarded with a place in Tier 1, although they haven't explained which team in Tier 1 will take the place of the Tier 2 champions. The champions of Tier 2 will qualify for Tier 1 under both proposals.

FermGael

Quote from: FermGael on June 26, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
I look at the complete mess that the Gaa has made of the tiered hurling championship and that makes me have to say no.
Look at the Christy Ring final this year.  The hurling secondary tier competition.
Was not covered live on any of the national TV stations.
Vey little coverage in the media.
And all finished up by the end of June.
A secondary football competition would be given lip service for a year or two and then would slowly be let fade away into insignificance.  That's what has happened time and time again with "b" championships.

I said the above over 2 years ago.
Those "new " proposals are exactly what I feared.

Honesty both those proposals are unbelievable......
It's the Tommy Murphy cup just rehashed.
Shows really how out of touch the top brass in the Gaa are and how little they care about the counties outside the top division
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Hawkeye9212

The GAA should copy the format used by the LGFA. Put the finals of the Intermediate and Junior championships on before the Senior semi-finals or hold all three finals on the same weekend. All of the finals must be shown on RTÉ.

BennyCake

Quote from: FermGael on June 29, 2019, 09:23:08 PM
Quote from: FermGael on June 26, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
I look at the complete mess that the Gaa has made of the tiered hurling championship and that makes me have to say no.
Look at the Christy Ring final this year.  The hurling secondary tier competition.
Was not covered live on any of the national TV stations.
Vey little coverage in the media.
And all finished up by the end of June.
A secondary football competition would be given lip service for a year or two and then would slowly be let fade away into insignificance.  That's what has happened time and time again with "b" championships.

I said the above over 2 years ago.
Those "new " proposals are exactly what I feared.

Honesty both those proposals are unbelievable......
It's the Tommy Murphy cup just rehashed.
Shows really how out of touch the top brass in the Gaa are and how little they care about the counties outside the top division

100% agree.

Rossfan

Quote from: Hawkeye9212 on June 29, 2019, 04:10:08 PM
Proposal A = Tommy Murphy 2.0. The GAA are showing favouritism to Division 1 and 2 teams. Proposal B is slightly better. At least the Tier 2 champions will be rewarded with a place in Tier 1, although they haven't explained which team in Tier 1 will take the place of the Tier 2 champions.
Read it again buckeen.
Both proposals provide for Tier 2 winners to be in Tier 1 the year after.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Over the Bar

I'm sure the likes of Fermanagh, Leitrim or Armagh would be very glad of a Tommy Murphy 2.0 in the cabinet. They don't get much of a chance at silverware after all.

Ball Hopper

Will county boards spend money on tier 2 training expenses, travel, meals, and so on? 

How many extra training sessions - will players even commit to the new competition?

Who gets the gate receipts?

Will HQ assist with expenses?

Armagh18

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 29, 2019, 11:59:57 PM
I'm sure the likes of Fermanagh, Leitrim or Armagh would be very glad of a Tommy Murphy 2.0 in the cabinet. They don't get much of a chance at silverware after all.
Quit the wind up. We're after giving a Division one team a hiding and coming within a whisker of another today. Playing in some B competition would be an insult.

Rossfan

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 30, 2019, 12:14:04 AM
Will county boards spend money on tier 2 training expenses, travel, meals, and so on?  THEY DO FOR THE HURLEY STUFF LOWER TIERS.

How many extra training sessions - will players even commit to the new competition? I IMAGINE IF THERE WAS ANY EVIDENCE THEY  WOULDN'T COMMIT THE PROPOSAL WOULDNT HAVE GOT THIS FAR

Who gets the gate receipts? CENTRAL COUNCIL SAME AS QUALIFIERS AND ALL IRELAND SERIES.

Will HQ assist with expenses? HMMMMM....? PRESUMABLY THE SAKE MATCH DAY GRANT AS COUNTUES GET NOW.

Over the Bar

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 30, 2019, 12:18:35 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on June 29, 2019, 11:59:57 PM
Quit the wind up. We're after giving a Division one team a hiding and coming within a whisker of another today. Playing in some B competition would be an insult.

So do you think MO'R resigned cos he reckons Armagh are gonna sweep the boards for years or cos he realises  the Farney's limited challenge at the top is all done?

Hound

Proposal A = Tommy Murphy 2.0. The GAA are showing favouritism to Division 1 and 2 teams. Proposal B is slightly better. At least the Tier 2 champions will be rewarded with a place in Tier 1, although they haven't explained which team in Tier 1 will take the place of the Tier 2 champions.
It's the teams who finish at the bottom end of Div2, who make up the places until there are 16 in Tier 2. It'll certainly make the league more important in Divs 2 and 3.

Good idea to bring the club finals to January.

irish345

seafoid

Did any of ye moaning about it read the details?
Everybody starts in the Provincials. Instead of going into the qualifiers,  losing D3 and 4
go into the new competition which is knockout. That is proposal A. The other version would have
a back door for the second tier

Also

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0629/1059207-gaa-set-out-tier-2-championship-proposals/
« The finals under both proposals would take place at Croke Park and an additional prize for the winner of the final under both proposals would be a place reserved in the following year's All-Ireland Sam Maguire championship, irrespective of their league position.

It is also envisaged that both proposals would have dedicated broadcast coverage and a marketing and promotional campaign with a dedicated All-Star selection and tour. »

The media aspect is huge.
It won't be a caste system set in stone

The last 2 places in D2/ First 2 in d3 will become very important .

Hawkeye9212

Quote from: Hound on June 30, 2019, 06:37:57 AM
It's the teams who finish at the bottom end of Div2, who make up the places until there are 16 in Tier 2. It'll certainly make the league more important in Divs 2 and 3.

Good idea to bring the club finals to January.

The team who finishes bottom in Division 2 drops into Tier 2 if a Division 3 or 4 team reaches their provincial final.

Rossfan

The 2 relegated teams from D2 will already be in Tier 2 so it will be 6th in D2?