The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The Echo not impressed that the new Liverpool 3'rd strip is white with blue trim.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/new-third-kit-for-2011-12
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Orangemac on June 18, 2011, 01:09:32 AMWe are really aiming for top 6 as we have no hope of breaking top 4. We have a good squad and I would trust Moyes to bring in a few decent free transfers/Championship players (although N'Zogbia would be great). The U18s won the PL acedemy league and the likes of Bidwell, Barkley and Hope could be pushing for places next year.

In Moyes we trust.
How realistic are your hopes of making 5th or 6th? (Serious question)

In other words, if MU, Chelsea, Man City & Arse are discounted, which of Spurs (5th) or Liverpool (6th) do you think you can displace?

I'm not dismissing Everton's hopes etc, but last season you finished four points behind Liverpool, who had a truly terrible start, but have since "steadied the ship" under Dalglish, and spent bundles on new players etc.

And despite taking four points off Spurs in head-to-head games, you still finished 8 points behind them, which is a very big deficit to make up.

Indeed, if you look over your shoulder, you weren't that far ahead of Fulham (5 pts), Villa (6 pts) and Sunderland (7pts). Seeing as they have made sound managerial changes, and/or are spending big money this Summer, I'd say they'll each be hoping to overtake Everton next season.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

boojangles

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 07, 2011, 03:32:08 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on June 18, 2011, 01:09:32 AMWe are really aiming for top 6 as we have no hope of breaking top 4. We have a good squad and I would trust Moyes to bring in a few decent free transfers/Championship players (although N'Zogbia would be great). The U18s won the PL acedemy league and the likes of Bidwell, Barkley and Hope could be pushing for places next year.

In Moyes we trust.

In other words, if MU, Chelsea, Man City & Arse are discounted, which of Spurs (5th) or Liverpool (6th) do you think you can displace?

I'm not dismissing Everton's hopes etc, but last season you finished four points behind Liverpool, who had a truly terrible start, but have since "steadied the ship" under Dalglish, and spent bundles on new players etc.

And despite taking four points off Spurs in head-to-head games, you still finished 8 points behind them, which is a very big deficit to make up.

Indeed, if you look over your shoulder, you weren't that far ahead of Fulham (5 pts), Villa (6 pts) and Sunderland (7pts). Seeing as they have made sound managerial changes, and/or are spending big money this Summer, I'd say they'll each be hoping to overtake Everton next season.

You must have missed Evertons start to the season?
We were closer to Liverpool at the end than Fulham were to us after another shocking start. If we had avoided 2 or 3 stupid results against the like of Bolton, West Brom, Wolves last season we would have been up with Spurs.
I agree that we could easily finish 9th or 10th but we could also easily finish 5th if we start well.

Evil Genius

Quote from: boojangles on July 07, 2011, 06:00:16 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on July 07, 2011, 03:32:08 PM

In Moyes we trust.

You must have missed Evertons start to the season?
No, the point I was making was that due to the Board and managerial upheaval at Anfield, L'pool's dreadful start to the season was exceptional.
Whereas EFC's bad start (Moyes & Kenwright's 9th in tandem) was, er, normal... ;)

Quote from: boojangles on July 07, 2011, 06:00:16 PMWe were closer to Liverpool at the end than Fulham were to us after another shocking start.
Actually, I think you'll find Fulham's start to the season was at least as bad as EFC's.

Quote from: boojangles on July 07, 2011, 06:00:16 PMIf we had avoided 2 or 3 stupid results against the like of Bolton, West Brom, Wolves last season we would have been up with Spurs.
EFC gained 6 points from their six games against WBA (finished 11th), Bolton (14th) and Wolves (17th), which is two more points than Spurs gained from their six games eg against Wigan (16th), Blackpool (19th) and WHU (20th).

In other words, anyone can cherrypick individual results and claim "If only", but in the end, the Table doesn't lie. And eight points is a big deficit to make up on another team, especially when you've taken four points against them in head-to-head games.

Quote from: boojangles on July 07, 2011, 06:00:16 PMI agree that we could easily finish 9th or 10th but we could also easily finish 5th if we start well.
If you start well, finish well and play well in between.

It's possible, but it would require a big improvement over last season, when there is no sign whatever of acquiring the better players which are usually necessary for such an improvement.

Whereas both Liverpool (esp) and Spurs (possibly) are likely to improve their squad over last season.

I've nothing against EFC, they've a fine manager, an honourable Chairman and good support etc. But in the end, the top teams are the ones with the top players, and the top players go to the clubs which pay them the most money. On which point, EFC simply cannot compete.

Therefore unless some of last season's top six suffer a crisis, it seems to me that the very best EFC can hope to achieve is 7th i.e. "Best of the rest".
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Orangemac

Our form since Christmas the last 2 years is top 4 form. If we could make a good start 6th would be possible.

I agree we are probably aiming to be best of the rest again which is not bad considering the amount of money the likes of Villa and Sunderland spend.

Spurs showed serious signs of slippage last season after Christmas and don't seem to have any more money than us to spend this year and dare I say it if Arsenal lose the likes of Nasri and Fabregas are not replaced they could fall out of the top 4.

SHEEDY

its really depressing seeing us linked with the likes of owen harreaves and jay bothroyd. moyes must be looking on with envy at the likes of sunderland.
nil satis nisi optimum

boojangles

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 09, 2011, 11:33:21 AM
its really depressing seeing us linked with the likes of owen harreaves and jay bothroyd. moyes must be looking on with envy at the likes of sunderland.

Sunderland- signing John O Shea and Wes Browne. I doubt envy is the word.
I really wish Fellaini was fit because TBH I'd gladly take 10 Million o.n.o. for him. 

SHEEDY

Quote from: boojangles on July 09, 2011, 12:25:26 PM

I really wish Fellaini was fit because TBH I'd gladly take 10 Million o.n.o. for him. 
im talking about the money they have to spend not who theyv bought.
nil satis nisi optimum

Orangemac

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 09, 2011, 01:09:11 PM
Quote from: boojangles on July 09, 2011, 12:25:26 PM

im talking about the money they have to spend not who theyv bought.
Not even the fees involved but the likes of Vaughan or Larsson who went to Sunderland on free transfers would have been decent additions, could we not compete for wages for them,particularly if Yakubu & Yobo were offloaded.

Orangemac

If you were depressed before don't read this.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/everton-cash-problems-wreck-lonergan-deal-1778231

Mr. Nakata

The agony continues. 10 days to kick-off, no new signings, no prospect of any signings, no money to spend and can't get rid of Yobo & Yakubu. We've missed out on our main transfer target to Villa and reading reports this morning, we are now being linked with Crouch. Lord above, help us please....

SHEEDY

reports on sky sports news that everton have made enquiries about signing joey barton on a free transfer. while theres no doubt hes a good footballer, ( maybe not as good as he thinks he is ) do we need the baggage that goes with him?

any everton fans wanting to see how we are shaping up for the new season will be pleased to see our pre season friendly with villareal will be live on itv4 on friday night hopefully without collina reffing this time
nil satis nisi optimum

Carmen Stateside

Sly Sports reporting that Everton are close to being bought over by two horsey men................ Steptoe and son have until friday to make a decision.

SHEEDY

spurs v everton has been postponed because of the london riots. disappointing, was looking forward to the start of the season but at least we'll now stay undefeated into the 2nd week.
nil satis nisi optimum