China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

On the ethics, I think if you can help charge enough to cover your costs. If it was me I wouldn't be trying to profit in a pandemic on other peoples misery.

The companies that are paying people extra to go to work - Baxter, Tesco etc and the moronic unions that agreed it. They are a disgrace and are actually incentivising people to risk going to work who should not be going. If they put their efforts into making their work places safer they would be much better off. Baxter for a medical device company should hang their head in shame to put a global program like that in place.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Itchy on March 31, 2020, 11:09:30 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 31, 2020, 10:53:05 AM
Quote from: Itchy on March 30, 2020, 11:34:20 PM
No need, it's the same stupid assumption Boris and his "better than the WHO" experts came up with before doing a spectacular U turn. I was just wondering were you going to be stupid enough to spread the same nonsense as them. But I see your using the "it's an online forum if you are stupid enough to believe any bullshit I write you deserve what you get" defence.

But that'd mean a single-strain vaccine isn't going to work Itchy.

[If there are multiple disparate strains of COVID-19 running amok, then vaccine will need to contain solutions to each one.That'll put months onto the work behind it.]

I dont know how many strains there are. My point is that the experts are learning all the time. From the papers I have read there is no conclusive evidence yet that there is immunity when you get this virus. I dont think it is helpful to say that there is immunity when its not known - even if it is on a forum. People are doing research online and are reading stuff and I am sure people like LeoMc is running around talking rubbish away from the forum and influencing some people. I'd hate to think someone recovered from Covid19 would be out running amok because the think they cant catch it again. There is no advice anywhere saying that.

Other things not understood yet, again from what I have read.

- Why is it biased to men (75%) versus women. Originally believe to be behavioral it seems that newest information is saying that it is something else.
- Suggestion that in different climates it infects at different rates.
- Is there immunity when you get it

You can nearly be sure that is smoking.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on March 31, 2020, 11:13:07 AM
On the ethics, I think if you can help charge enough to cover your costs. If it was me I wouldn't be trying to profit in a pandemic on other peoples misery.

The companies that are paying people extra to go to work - Baxter, Tesco etc and the moronic unions that agreed it. They are a disgrace and are actually incentivising people to risk going to work who should not be going. If they put their efforts into making their work places safer they would be much better off. Baxter for a medical device company should hang their head in shame to put a global program like that in place.

Tesco need people to go to work as they are feeding the rest of us. These people are busy and working hard and an extra payment seems appropriate. Now they could do more to make their workplaces safer, to be sure, and so could most employers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: armaghniac on March 31, 2020, 11:25:21 AM

Tesco need people to go to work as they are feeding the rest of us. These people are busy and working hard and an extra payment seems appropriate. Now they could do more to make their workplaces safer, to be sure, and so could most employers.

Agreed. I would love to hear Michelle O'Neills solution to how we keep the country(north or south) going. We are at the unfortunate point of having to accept that  many businesses are needed, and will need to remain open with some controls.

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 31, 2020, 12:06:24 PM

Agreed. I would love to hear Michelle O'Neills solution to how we keep the country(north or south) going. We are at the unfortunate point of having to accept that  many businesses are needed, and will need to remain open with some controls.

In fairness, I don't think that Michelle O'Neill thinks that the likes of Tesco should be closed.

Taylor

How would you propose the feed the country Itchy?

Genuinely interested to hear this.

No doubt they could do more with regards to safety but if supermarkets etc shut down just imagine the anarchy the place would be in?

Itchy

Quote from: Taylor on March 31, 2020, 12:47:13 PM

How would you propose the feed the country Itchy?

Genuinely interested to hear this.

No doubt they could do more with regards to safety but if supermarkets etc shut down just imagine the anarchy the place would be in?

1)Make work place safe, 2)Hire new people to compensate for higher absenteeism which will now be a new reality and 3) Reward people with a bonus payment when its all over if your motivation really is to reward people (which it isnt)

Dont incentivise sick people to come to work because they are desperate for money. This is a shocking and reckless approach. Baxter for example have been atrocous at making their plant safe - very poor leadership from management at total odds with other in this sector, and then when people started giving out to them from inside  the plant they offer them more money. You have to see the consequences of this.

clarshack

is this just lazy journalism or is there something else going on? - https://twitter.com/360_stan/status/1244575113003044865

the #emptyhospitals is also interesting on twitter. is it the calm before the storm?

doesn't escape the fact that lots of people have lost their jobs and the world economy is in the shitter.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: armaghniac on March 31, 2020, 12:11:02 PM

In fairness, I don't think that Michelle O'Neill thinks that the likes of Tesco should be closed.

No agreed, but she is peddling a line which gives the impression that many other business can and shouid close. I'm sure by now conor Murphy may have realised that HRMC need the money never mind us needing the services.

armaghniac

Quote from: clarshack on March 31, 2020, 12:55:53 PM
is this just lazy journalism or is there something else going on? - https://twitter.com/360_stan/status/1244575113003044865

the #emptyhospitals is also interesting on twitter. is it the calm before the storm?

It is the same in this country, the drunks and hypochondriacs have abandoned the A&E, while there are less accidents on sites, children's playgrounds etc. As mentioned on RTÉ radio this morning, they are worried that actual ill people are also not going to the doctor.

Quotedoesn't escape the fact that lots of people have lost their jobs and the world economy is in the shitter.

Yep. Although it was reported on RTÉ that Ireland would be one of the least badly affected, while still getting a dose.

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 31, 2020, 01:01:34 PM
No agreed, but she is peddling a line which gives the impression that many other business can and shouid close. I'm sure by now conor Murphy may have realised that HRMC need the money never mind us needing the services.

She is arguing for the same approach throughout Ireland, which is right and proper. Dampen down this virus and then you can have more business.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: armaghniac on March 31, 2020, 01:04:59 PM

It is the same in this country, the drunks and hypochondriacs have abandoned the A&E, while there are less accidents on sites, children's playgrounds etc. As mentioned on RTÉ radio this morning, they are worried that actual ill people are also not going to the doctor.

Quotedoesn't escape the fact that lots of people have lost their jobs and the world economy is in the shitter.

Yep. Although it was reported on RTÉ that Ireland would be one of the least badly affected, while still getting a dose.

She is arguing for the same approach throughout Ireland, which is right and proper. Dampen down this virus and then you can have more business.

But it will not work. Sinn féin have yet to produce a list which they claim would be acceptable to them. Bring solutions not problems

trueblue1234

As are the SDLP. Rightly so in my eyes s well. But I wonder why you felt felt the need to hit M'ON

Mr Durkan said the enforced closures of non-essential workplaces must also be in place as soon as possible.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 31, 2020, 01:12:14 PM

But it will not work. Sinn féin have yet to produce a list which they claim would be acceptable to them. Bring solutions not problems

Separated by a single sentence.  ::)

marty34

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 31, 2020, 01:19:58 PM

As are the SDLP. Rightly so in my eyes s well. But I wonder why you felt felt the need to hit M'ON

Mr Durkan said the enforced closures of non-essential workplaces must also be in place as soon as possible.

Playing party politics.

In reference to another point, it will be interesting to see the attendence figures at A&E's when this is all over.

johnnycool

Quote from: Franko on March 31, 2020, 01:30:23 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 31, 2020, 01:12:14 PM

Separated by a single sentence.  ::)

Ah but you missed the point altogether. It's fine to use the management speak when it relates to someone else but not to yourself!

WRT the Shinners I think it's abundantly clear of their frustration at trying to eek some of their colleagues in the executive off the London teat when it comes to CV-19 policy and hence the mixed messaging which Michelle ended up coming out with a few weeks ago. They were roundly criticised then for it but the SDLP and Alliance kept their heads below the parapet and let Michelle take the hit.

Watch a rerun of View from Stormont last night with the died in the wool Sam McConkey saying London was asleep at the wheel on CV-19.
I personally don't think they were as their herd immunity plan requires a large percentage of the population to catch it but it's got away from them particularly in London.
Boris and their CSO, CMO are out of kilter on this and Michelle was entirely right to say so.