The Official Gaelic (Irish) Translation Thread

Started by ziggysego, February 29, 2008, 04:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Can hardstation or anyone translate a few of Kevin Smith's films for me?

Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
Jersey girl

The titles that is, not the dialogue ;)
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

mhacadoir

lads, can you translate procrastination for me?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on October 14, 2008, 03:20:06 PM
This is turning into a WTF thread but I make up a word.

Moilleadoireacht.
Dhéarfainn féin go bhfuil tú congárach
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ziggysego

Thanks hardstation.

A mallrat is a teenager who hangs around shopping centres in the US.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

FL/MAYO

Lads I need a little help with some translation. The bosses daughter wants to get a tatoo with the word "family" (in Irish), what would be the correct translation.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

FL/MAYO

Thanks lads, below is what I found on line when I researched it, so she went with muintir, anway she was getting the tatoo 2 hours ago so its to late to change it. Would there be a fada in "muintir"?

Teaghlach (pro: CHY-lukh): household/immediate family (husband, wife & kids)

Muintir (pro: MWIN-chir): extended family (all relatives, past, present & future, as well as close members of your community)

Clann: (pro: Klahn): Your children and descendants, or the descendants of a common ancestor

Almost, and in most cases yes. But teaghlach is actually "household", i.e. everyone living under one roof, whether related or not, e.g. mother, father, kids, grandparents, flatmates, lodgers and I've even heard it to include pets! ...but I suppose that'd depend on how you see your pet.

There are several definitions for family in Irish, depending on the unit.
Teaghlach: Household...i.e.,
Teaghlach =The Nuclear Family i.e.Husband /Wife, kids, or anyone in your household
Muintir:= All the people who are even vaguely related to you -- past, present and future -- as well as neighbors, friends and associates.

Gaolta: Relatives (pretty much the same as "muintir," but a little less frequently used).

Clann: Your children and descendants, or all the descendants of a common ancestor.
It would not include your spouse or parents or anyone outside that common ancestor
Does NOT include people who have married into your family (including your spouse), but can be used to refer to all the blood descendants of a particular ancestor, or as a collective for all the siblings in a family.
It's up to you, but we usually recommend "teaghlach" for the immediate family and "muintir" for the extended family.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

FL/MAYO