Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: Tim's Hero on July 10, 2018, 10:37:57 AM
Only adding to last Saturdays squad , add in Kernan's , Carragher from Cross , Andy Mallon , Finn Mo , all early 30's who still featuring with their clubs . Their experience would have made all the difference coming off bench for last 15 . Mayo team has several over 30's still playing out of their skin !!

Is that the sound of a barrel being scraped?

smelmoth

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 10, 2018, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 10, 2018, 02:54:46 PM
Be careful what you wish for Tim. If you think McGeeney isn't the man for the job then you should suggest who you think is the man. You clearly have an anti McGeeney agenda but you have to be realistic. We do not currently have the players at present to make super 8's. You have listed out players who were either fringe squad members previously or who are past their best.

That is the crux of the matter for the 'Geezer Out Brigade'. They feel there is potential there that is way beyond the reality.

With all due respect I disagree

Mayo have the players to get to the Super 8s but didn't get there. That's sport. But to say that we can't or don't produce players to compete with the like of Kildare, Monaghan or Roscommon is wrong.

We absolutely can compete at that level. We have been to the Quarter finals twice in recent years.

I wonder are Croatian management talking down the aspirations and capabilities of a small nation?

brokencrossbar1

The difference in quality between Roscommon and Tyrone shows that an appearance in the Super 8's would have been a disaster for Armagh.

Solo_run

Last week we were diasappointed to be knocked out but this we I think most of us would be happy. Whilst it would have been nice to see Roscommon do well, I think 15+ beatings are going to be the norm over the next few weeks.

smelmoth

Quote from: bennydorano on July 11, 2018, 01:10:01 PM
We're a small enough county who experienced a decade of relatively huge success, we've just just went back to our normal level. The people raised on the success of the Noughties have a lot of unrealistic expectations.

1953, 77, 02 & 03, We're due another great team in circa 2027/8.

I wouldn't argue with that. But the frequency with which we reach AI finals is if no relevance to whether we could expect to win a provincial championship match or to reach the AI last 8 via either of the 2 routes

smelmoth

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 14, 2018, 05:48:24 PM
The difference in quality between Roscommon and Tyrone shows that an appearance in the Super 8's would have been a disaster for Armagh.

I disagree. We need to play these games.

A new thing the super 8s does through up is a game the following week after a collapse. In Roscommon's case at home to a team also beat the week before. The response if any will be interesting to watch.

Whatever the truth is for Roscommon there is no point hiding from it. The same for ourselves

DuffleKing

Would we have fared any better than the Rossies?

Syferus

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 16, 2018, 03:46:06 PM

Probably. We blow very hot and cold. Who knows what Roscommon team will turn up next weekend.

APM

No!  It would have set us back and we would have had games against Donegal and Dublin to look forward to. I think you need to have a couple of years in Divsion 1 to get up to the speed of those teams.  But the reality is that there isn't a super 8.  There might be a Super 3 or 4 and then very good 2 and another couple to make up the numbers.  Armagh would have been there to make up the numbers this year.  For those games to be anyway useful for a team's development, they need to be competitive and Roscommon were anything but on Saturday and they were 6pts better than Armagh the previous week. 

yellowcard

Definitely not. Tyrone done the exact same thing to a better quality Armagh side last season. It would have been a whitewash if we had got to the Super 8s, it was a blessing in disguise that we didn't.

Solo_run

Quote from: APM on July 16, 2018, 03:54:38 PM

No!  It would have set us back and we would have had games against Donegal and Dublin to look forward to. I think you need to have a couple of years in Divsion 1 to get up to the speed of those teams.  But the reality is that there isn't a super 8.  There might be a Super 3 or 4 and then very good 2 and another couple to make up the numbers.  Armagh would have been there to make up the numbers this year.  For those games to be anyway useful for a team's development, they need to be competitive and Roscommon were anything but on Saturday and they were 6pts better than Armagh the previous week.

I get where you are coming from, they need to experience the big games to learn from them.

However, I don't think I could watch Armagh getting hammered by Tyrone two years running and can't see the benefit in it either.

smelmoth

I don't see the point of not testing yourself?

What golfer would turn down an entry to the Masters?  Certainly not any aiming to test or improve themselves.

Division 3 and many of the qualifier games provide no meaningful test

Captain Obvious

No as teams that defend poorly against Tyrone are always well beaten.

DuffleKing

There's probably a 'super 6' currently woth Roscommon and kildare making up the numbers. The rest are going to provide competitive games.

Last year at the same stage we lost to Tyrone by 18 points. It's hard to make an argument that we were better equipped this year to give an account of ourselves.

armaghniac

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 16, 2018, 08:53:24 PM

There's probably a 'super 6' currently woth Roscommon and kildare making up the numbers. The rest are going to provide competitive games.

Last year at the same stage we lost to Tyrone by 18 points. It's hard to make an argument that we were better equipped this year to give an account of ourselves.

Armagh, Roscommon, Kildare are in the top 12, but not really able to mix it with the top 5 or 6.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B