Sat Nav

Started by Lecale2, May 10, 2007, 07:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Xtra Vision are selling a SatNav for 199euro its called a NAVMAN F20
Anyone know anything about it?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Donagh

Anyone know where I can get some updated NavMan maps of Europe (for minimal price obviously)?

The Real Laoislad

What are the NAVMAN'S like? any good?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Donagh

Mine are from a few years back and are pretty bad once you are outside the cities or off the main roads. Hoping an updated set of maps will be better.

Donagh

Still a bit steep, might try to find them on bit torrent first. Thought the satnav might come in handy on the holidays this summer as I usually find it hard enough staying on the right side of the road without having to navigate to the destination.

amallon

I got the Nokia N95 with GPS built into it.  Its good for telling you exactly where you are and the maps are fairly up to date.  The directions it gives are fairly dubious though. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

The Real Laoislad

I have gave into temptation and just bought meself a SatNav i got a tomtomONE and it seems like the dogs bollix...Well it did get me home from Liffey Valley to my house in Lucan which is all of one mile!!
So i have a new toy to play with now,My van is starting to look like NASA space control with my iPod,Bluetooth phone thingy and now the SatNav all up on the dash
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Could also prevent and accident as i won't be now looking at maps of outback Meath and Westmeath and also don't have to use a phone while i drive!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Satnav is some job it even has my street where i grew up in Laois..
Wasn't bad at 220euro either
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Star Spangler

Surprised to hear a TomTom is that good.  Keep us posted.

The Real Laoislad

I was going for the Garmin which was over a 100bones dearer but there was another customer in the shop and he said too me that he had a tomtom and he would highly recommend it,he was a long distance lorry driver and he said he drove all over europe with it and Ireland and he couldn't fault it
Don't think the shop owner was too pleased as i was almost sold on the Garmin!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Star Spangler

I've used both and the Garmin had every hole in the wall whereas the TomTom had about 70% of the information.  That was over a year ago though, so perhaps they've caught up.  The price you paid was good.  Having said that you can buy the Garmins off the net with the same Navteq 9 (UK and Ireland) software for €100 less than you'd pay in Halfords (not suggesting you bought it there of course!  ;)).

Square Ball

Bloody sat nav, takes all the fun of getting lost on holiday, argueing with the missess over whos fault it was and trying to figure out what the hell the natives are saying!!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Star Spangler on June 22, 2007, 05:26:00 PM
I've used both and the Garmin had every hole in the wall whereas the TomTom had about 70% of the information.  That was over a year ago though, so perhaps they've caught up.  The price you paid was good.  Having said that you can buy the Garmins off the net with the same Navteq 9 (UK and Ireland) software for €100 less than you'd pay in Halfords (not suggesting you bought it there of course!  ;)).

No didn't get it in Halfords...Well all i can say is if where im orginally from is on it,it must be good coz im from the back of beyond!!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Orior

I'm heading to Spain. What's the best SatNav app?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians