Sat Nav

Started by Lecale2, May 10, 2007, 07:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Does anybody use it? Any thoughts on usefulness? I cover a lot of miles and there are times when I think it would be useful but is it worth investing in? Are there any systems that posters would recommend?

Declan

Don't drive that much outside Ireland so no need for it myself . However a couple of the gadget freaks in here recommend the Tom Tom
http://www.tomtom.com/

supersarsfields

I was warned when looking at Satnav's to avoid Tom tom's as they aren't as accurate in Ireland.
I went and got myself a Garmin and it's a great job. Have travelled all of NI and parts of the south including Dublin with few problems with it.
I'd be lost with out it now. Would definitely recommend them.

Bud Wiser

See my website www.fennetec.com

The best way of getting a sat nav system with free mapping updates is to go to www.asiansources.com or www.gloabalsources.com Locate a manufacturing company in Taiwan and thens send an e-mail to Paddy Chung or whoever and tell them you are a large company with a staff of about the same number as in the Dubs football squad.  They will either offer to send you one free as a sample if they are as stupid as the ones that sent mine, or, they will send you one at cost price.  The one landed on my page does hands free phone calls, picture slide show, MP3 player and has mapping for all of Europe updated from their website.

So there you have it, Bud Wiser is a con man.

sureyouwill

How much would you expect to pay for one of these.

Candyman

sureyouwill are you getting one for the buggy incase you get lost out the cathedral road??? ;)

sureyouwill

Quote from: Candyman on May 10, 2007, 11:38:50 AM
sureyouwill are you getting one for the buggy incase you get lost out the cathedral road??? ;)

I'm telling you, get to the twlight zone that is the shambles roundabout and you could be transported anywhere.  ;D

Bud Wiser

For top of the range gear expect to pay 220 Euro, or if you are up there with the Alaskan's about 180 pounds Stg.  You will pay 650 euro for the top models here but make sure you get mapping that can be updated.  There are different maps (Teleatlas, Navteq and one other that I am too lazy to think of) I think mapping is being updated in the 'second quarter' (their term) of 2007 so it would be best to ensure that you get this or the unit will think you are out in a big green field when you are on a new stretch of motorway.

Candyman

ye need the magic stuff in ye first!!! the problem is ye mightn't come back... ;)
mary had a bicycle, she rode it back to front....

Star Spangler

Navteq are the best (they provide the data for Garmin) as they are the only company that physically went out and drove every road in Ireland.  It took them four years to complete.  Their competition base their systems on Ordnance Survey maps.  I use Navteq and I'm constantly amazed at it's accuracy - particularly when it comes to one-way systems in major towns and cities.

http://pocketgpsworld.com/navteq2.php

supersarsfields

SS do you know what website you can go to up-date the maps? My Garmin is great but slightly out-dated in some areas.

Star Spangler

Gnevin

Quote from: supersarsfields on May 10, 2007, 10:28:52 AM

I'd be lost with out it now. Would definitely recommend them.
I take it  , the pun is intended  ;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

supersarsfields

J70

Living in NYC, I don't own a car, but I need to rent one fairly regularly for out-of-town trips. I've tried the Garmin Where2 navigator, which is a version of the Street Pilot c550, and it's excellent. Drove from New York City down to the western suburbs of Philadelphia recently without any need for maps or directions. A friend of mine in Dublin has a Garmin, and as far as I know the Irish coverage is excellent too.