Portrush gets the Open

Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Rois on October 23, 2015, 02:15:30 PM
We applied for tickets for next year but didn't get them  :(

Can't have been that bad then! Thanks for the reply.

stiffler

Anyone heading up next week?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Boycey

Will be there Thurs and/or Friday. Anyone with local knowledge about circumventing the park & ride car parks and parking Street side? Worked a treat at County Down a few years back. 

Rois

Quote from: stiffler on July 13, 2019, 04:05:08 PM
Anyone heading up next week?
Me - Friday (corporate tickets  ;D )and Sat on our own steam. Training it up from Belfast.

playwiththewind1st

Advice on radio yesterday was to get your NIR tickets online in advance. Don't think you would have much chance if you are hitting the booking office on the day.

lenny

Quote from: Boycey on July 13, 2019, 04:16:02 PM
Will be there Thurs and/or Friday. Anyone with local knowledge about circumventing the park & ride car parks and parking Street side? Worked a treat at County Down a few years back.

Why would you not use the park and rides? Very convenient and well marshalled.

Tony Baloney

Would expect the peelers to be directing people away from the main thoroughfares. I've always found the park ride options at Newcastle and Portrush to be excellent when the Irish Open was there. I was actually shocked how efficient they were!

Aaron Boone

Portrush is now on The Open roster. So will be another one there by 2030.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 13, 2019, 04:47:02 PM
They've installed all the infrastructure (burying cables etc.) to simplify a return visit.

TheOptimist

Will be there on Friday, cant wait. Getting train from Derry all booked and paid.

Koepka has to be a good bet again with his Caddy being a Portrush man?

balladmaker

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 13, 2019, 04:47:02 PM

That's if we don't have a border poll in the interim  :)

Rois

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on July 13, 2019, 04:28:01 PM
Advice on radio yesterday was to get your NIR tickets online in advance. Don't think you would have much chance if you are hitting the booking office on the day.
About 4 wks ago the latest morning train you could get was 5.33 from Belfast, but they released more last week. Wouldn't even think of not pre-booking.

Walter Cronc

I assume shuttle buses will be laid on? Will these take you from Portstewart or Coleraine?

Rois

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 13, 2019, 04:45:05 PM
Would expect the peelers to be directing people away from the main thoroughfares. I've always found the park ride options at Newcastle and Portrush to be excellent when the Irish Open was there. I was actually shocked how efficient they were!

Been the The Open a couple of times before and youre right it'll be brilliantly organised and marshalled but there will be queues and holdups I'd say... I think the work they have done to the course has increased capacity to nearly twice what it was. It'll take me 2-2.5 hours each way driving so anything that might save me another 30/45 mins getting in/out would be great. :)

At the Irish open in Newcastle we went up through Hilltown, came into Newcastle on a back road, parked on side of road walked 10 mins to course... Where there is a will there's usually a way, it's like knowing where to get the handy parking around Clones or Croker  ;D

Where are the park and rides anyway? I looked on the Open website but couldn't find them