Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Fair few injuries in the Armagh team heading into this one. Toner, Donaghy and Vernon at a minimum likely to miss out. Not as confident as I was a few weeks back
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Itchy

Cavan missing their first choice midfield partnership of Corr and mckiernan. Looks like one of the backups, Declan mckiernan is also struggling. That means we will have to play someone in there that is not used to it at this level, along with most likely Givney.

AFS

Quote from: David McKeown on May 06, 2013, 10:27:21 PM
Fair few injuries in the Armagh team heading into this one. Toner, Donaghy and Vernon at a minimum likely to miss out. Not as confident as I was a few weeks back

Donaghy played in Dorsey yesterday.

regal

Quote from: Itchy on May 06, 2013, 10:49:17 PM
Cavan missing their first choice midfield partnership of Corr and mckiernan. Looks like one of the backups, Declan mckiernan is also struggling. That means we will have to play someone in there that is not used to it at this level, along with most likely Givney.

Surely Givney would be a first choice midfielder?

rodney trotter

Quote from: regal on May 07, 2013, 09:29:46 AM
Quote from: Itchy on May 06, 2013, 10:49:17 PM

Surely Givney would be a first choice midfielder?

He was played in full forward during the League, when Eugene Keating was injured. Givney and Geroid McKiernan are both attack minded players and it doesn't work that well, so they played Geroid McKiernan and Corr who is more defensive at midfield. With G McKiernan now out Injured and Corr out, Givney will most likely be midield. His best position anyway.

regal

Hopefully this time next week we will know the line ups. My guess for the armagh team would be:

1 - mcevoy
2 - morgan
3 - donaghy
4 - mckeown or shields
5 - akernan
6 - aforker
7 - mckeever
8 - harold
9 - lavery
10 - rafferty
11 - dyas
12 - tkernan
13 - jclarke
14 - sforker
15 - mcparland

If toner is fit I would imagine he will go to either 6 or 8 with aforker or harold moving to the forward line in favour of kernan / mcparland.

Other options include mckenna / moriarty / hanratty / bmallon / vernon if fit.

Did anyone see the armagh v louth game, if so, who impressed?

AFS

Quote from: regal on May 09, 2013, 09:05:10 AM
Hopefully this time next week we will know the line ups. My guess for the armagh team would be:

1 - mcevoy
2 - morgan
3 - donaghy
4 - mckeown or shields
5 - akernan
6 - aforker
7 - mckeever
8 - harold
9 - lavery
10 - rafferty
11 - dyas
12 - tkernan
13 - jclarke
14 - sforker
15 - mcparland

If toner is fit I would imagine he will go to either 6 or 8 with aforker or harold moving to the forward line in favour of kernan / mcparland.

No one really, apart from Clarke. It wasn't a proper game for the most part. Armagh used 35+ players, including half a dozen lads from the host club.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: AFS on May 09, 2013, 08:34:16 PM

1 - mcevoy
2 - morgan
3 - donaghy
4 - mckeown or shields
5 - akernan
6 - aforker
7 - mckeever
8 - harold
9 - lavery
10 - rafferty
11 - dyas
12 - tkernan
13 - jclarke
14 - sforker
15 - mcparland

No one really, apart from Clarke. It wasn't a proper game for the most part. Armagh used 35+ players, including half a dozen lads from the host club.

Is that not an odd thing to be doing a few weeks before a big game, appeasing a club by playing their players? What benefit is such a game to either team?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 23, 2013, 01:26:37 PM
Not sure about Jason McGlaughlin, he looks awfully light for Senior Football. I mentioned before that he would be in the mix, but the Donegal u21 final game he was brushed off the ball by Paddy McBrearty. If he was to mark somebody like Clarke, he is obviously not as physical but still a big step up from u21's.

Not sure if Oisin Moynagh or Killian Brady would be up to the task of marking Clarke, McGlaughlin will still probably get  that role.

Was just reading back through the thread and saw this. Jaysus Rodney I thought McLoughlin did a decent job on McBrearty considering every single ball that was put in by Donegal was aimed at McBrearty and McBrearty is an animal of a young lad. At the end of the day he got a 10 minute burst out of the whole game. I think McLoughlin would do a decent enough job on Clarke, hes the best we have for the job in my opinion.

AFS

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 09, 2013, 09:45:44 PM
Quote from: AFS on May 09, 2013, 08:34:16 PM

1 - mcevoy
2 - morgan
3 - donaghy
4 - mckeown or shields
5 - akernan
6 - aforker
7 - mckeever
8 - harold
9 - lavery
10 - rafferty
11 - dyas
12 - tkernan
13 - jclarke
14 - sforker
15 - mcparland

Is that not an odd thing to be doing a few weeks before a big game, appeasing a club by playing their players? What benefit is such a game to either team?

You'd almost always have a few local lads involved in pitch openings, so it wasn't really that odd. The first half was a write off but the second half was reasonably competitive, and this gave a couple of lads like Clarke and Grugan the opportunity to blow out some cobwebs. It didn't look like Armagh intended to take much else from the day.

David McKeown

Quote from: AFS on May 07, 2013, 12:44:36 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 06, 2013, 10:27:21 PM

Donaghy played in Dorsey yesterday.

Good to hear I understood he hadn't trained or played since National League and was named at the recent county board meeting (the one club delegates are at whatever that's called) as one of the injury doubts.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

illdecide

Have Armagh a challenge game this weekend? if so i'd imagine you'd see as close to the championship team as you're gonna get. We're 1 defender, 1 midfielder (open for discussion) and 2 forwards short of a really good side...but i suppose that ratio goes to about another 10 teams in Ireland.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

All of a Sludden

ARMAGH manager Paul Grimley has handed championship debuts to three players for their Ulster preliminary round clash with Cavan on Sunday.

Mark Shields starts in defence Stephen Harold will line out in midfield while 18-year-old Ciaron O'Hanlon will play in attack.

Armagh: P McEvoy; P McKeown, D McKenna, M Shields; A Kernan, B Donaghy, C McKeever; S Harold, J Lavery; C Rafferty, C O'Hanlon, K Dyas; T Kernan, J Clarke, S Forker.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

naka

Armagh team
Mc evoy
Mc keown shields donaghy
Mc kenna mc keever kernan
Lavery Harold
Ohanlon dyas kernan
Rafferty Clarke forker

Toner injured as is Aidan forker and Morgan
Some baptism for killeavys o hanlon

rodney trotter

Armagh will be far from full strength with Toner, Forker, Morgan, and Vernon all out.
Did forker and Morgan get injured at the weekend? Grimley let the co players play with clubs at the weekend. bit strange