best XV in the country

Started by Rav67, July 12, 2007, 08:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 18, 2007, 02:34:17 PM
QuoteTheres plenty of Tyronemen who could be described as "thugs" based on 2-3 incidents over a period of years

Like who and for what?

Jesus do you really need to me point out every incident over the past few years to make a point  ::)
McMenamin for example has had plenty of incidents, sneaky knees, wild kicks at Dublin players in this years league to name a couple.
I am not going to waste time pointing out every single incident a tyrone player was involved in but you know fine well every team has players who have let their discipline drop a handful of times over the years.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

The following are good players but can let themselves down occasionally with regard to discipline - Ciaran Whelan, Geraghty, Mc Menamin - only difference is that Ciaran Whelan seems to get away with it -

Tyrone Dreamer

Was it Bonner McMenamin tried to kick? I dont think it was and if it it wasnt thats who it should have been.

donegal gael

1 gary connaughton  - class act
2 karl lacey
3 kevin mc cloy
4 ryan mc menamin
5 tomas o'se
6 conor gormley
7 barry dunnion
8 dara o'se
9 sean cavanagh
10 brian dooher
11 john doyle
12 alan brogan
13 colm cooper
14 stephen bray - class act
15 paddy bradley

thewobbler

From what I've seen this year (and I've missed a lot):

Stephen Cluxton (Brendan Murphy)
David Henry
Kevin McCloy (Graham Canty)
Karl Lacey (Ross Donovan)
Gary McQuaid
Anthony Moyles (Bryan Cullen)
Conor Gormley
Sean Cavanagh
Eamon O'Hara (Fergal Doherty)
Brian Dooher (John Doyle)
Dessie Dolan
Tommy Freeman
Conal Keaney (Colm Cooper)
Kieran Donaghy
Stephen Bray

Subs in brackets.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 13, 2007, 10:07:08 AM
Come on hill is blue there's no need to be mentioning Ciaran Whelan for the best team in the country. Maybe a few years a ago he had a chance but not now. If games lasted 15 minutes then he'd have a chance. I see to back up your arguements your still going back to 1 game in 2005. Whlean out caught Cavanagh that day in the 1st half fair enough. But Cavanagh scored 3 from play and when it mattered helped drive Tyrone back into the game whereas Whelan went quiet. It must also be remembered that Cavanagh was only 21/22 then and still very much developing that area of his game. He seems to have improved considerably in this region over the last few years. Whelan was at the peak of his career. As I said he did well at catching kick outs in the 1st half but where was he in the 2nd half when it mattered most?

How about Cavanagh v Whelan now?  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Puckoon

Im not sure that the inside forwards bray and masters should be picked at half forward for any of these best 15 in the country. The roles are completely different. The inside man wins the ball, turns, maybe takes on his man, maybe doesnt and bangs it over (or at least thats the blue print for success). The half forward has so much more to do, and needs to be a more direct runner of the ball, and a winner of scrappy ball. Think geraghty, cavanagh(could be there), and galvin  and so on. It makes no sense to make room for masters and bray at half forward, that wouldnt deliver an all around best 15 performance just my two cents worth.

orangeman

When the All stars are being picked Conor Gormley will be unanimous choice ! Fair play to him - a great player and a nice lad as well.

The Real Laoislad

How is Cluxton on almost everones team??
The best Goalie so far this year is without a doubt is Brendan Murphy from Meath.He has been in excellent form this year and IMHO opinion a far better keeper than Cluxton
You'll Never Walk Alone.

DoYerJob Linesman

Meath Keeper?

Conor Gormley
Graham Canty
Kevin McGuckin

Caoimhin King
Anthoney Moyles
Tomas O Se

Darragh O Se
Sean Cavanagh

Graham Geraghty
Alan Brogan
Enda Muldoon

Colm Cooper
Kieran Donaghy
Paddy Bradley

Twould be a good team to beat that one!

17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

The Real Laoislad

Alan Brogan in the team and no Stephen Bray are ya having a laugh!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Jinxy

Not sure why so many people are picking Canty. It can't be based on this years performance. Sure the Louth FF gave him his fill of it and he hardly had much to do against Sligo.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DoYerJob Linesman

I thought long and hard about Bray, but decided that Bradley and Cooper are better options.  Bray is definetely having a great season, but the other two are doing it year in, year out with very few off days.  They will always be on my team!

Also, i admit that full back gave me plenty to think about.  Barry owens, give me peace!! Canty may not have set the world alight, but looking around, I'd have him above anyone else.  It's all about opinions.  I'd have picked the full Ballinderry team but it would not have looked good!

17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

Bogball XV

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 06, 2007, 09:06:12 PM
How is Cluxton on almost everones team??
The best Goalie so far this year is without a doubt is Brendan Murphy from Meath.He has been in excellent form this year and IMHO opinion a far better keeper than Cluxton
I used to think that Cluxton was over-rated and that the likes of Connaughton and Reilly (Cavan) were possibly better, but I'm starting to come round to him, he made a few very good stops against yourselves in the Leinster final I thought.  Anyway, we'll see how he does on Saturday, not that the likes of Paddy or Eoin Bradley ever go for goal ;)

Rav67

Cluxton is the best keeper in the country by a mile