Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

NotedObserver

Surely Grugan or Coney worth a run out? Not like anyone has been impressive so far, could argue no forwards in that team.

Mikhailov

Sweet Jesus - only 3 'out and out' forwards in the 26. Everyone of the front six actually named on the starting team are arguably better as midfielders or defenders. Is this the beginning of the end?

Redhand Santa

It's a strange looking team on paper and I don't think it'll line out as selected. Ritchie Donnelly could end up going to full forward for example.

There aren't many out and out forwards but who else have we? Coney or Grugan are more half forward/attacking midfield type players. McCurry and Brennan both tried and struggled to win  ball when kicked to them. I think Brennan is better suited to coming of the bench at this stage, Coney may well be the same.

Harte is more dangerous and a better ball winner up there than the other players named. He got a lot of ball in the first half v Mayo and should have had 3 or 4 points but dropped a couple short. Also when he did win the ball there was no support runners. I've no problem with him playing up there if he gets a bit of support.

McCurry is possibly injured if not named in the 26, Grugan could be the same.

I am expecting a big improvement tomorrow night. It's been a poor start to the league but we aren't as bad as we have looked to date.

OffTheDeck

Why does Mickey persist with Aidan McCrory. Waste of a place in the panel for a decent footballer or at least someone who can solo a ball. Scrap

Redhand Santa

Another thing I'd like to see tomorrow night is players taking on more responsibility for getting scores. Too many players have been taking the easy option and recycling the ball. We had a gale force wind the last day and players weren't having a go at all.

Although we haven't many out and out full forward type players on the team we have 8/9 players on the team well capable of kicking scores.

tiempo

If Errigals last run to a county final taught us anything its that Hartes can play full forward as well anyone especially Coneys drafted to the AFL or who scored 8 from play against Cork in D1

Redhand Santa

That was one of the few games Coney showed his potential for Tyrone. From memory he was hyped up after it, got tightly marked v the Dubs in the next game and never got on the ball. I think out the pitch suits his game better currently. Really wanted to see him have a few shots v Roscommon as he has the ability to get long range scores that are very useful v a blanket defence.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 22, 2019, 09:36:49 AM
It's a strange looking team on paper and I don't think it'll line out as selected. Ritchie Donnelly could end up going to full forward for example.

There aren't many out and out forwards but who else have we? Coney or Grugan are more half forward/attacking midfield type players. McCurry and Brennan both tried and struggled to win  ball when kicked to them. I think Brennan is better suited to coming of the bench at this stage, Coney may well be the same.

Harte is more dangerous and a better ball winner up there than the other players named. He got a lot of ball in the first half v Mayo and should have had 3 or 4 points but dropped a couple short. Also when he did win the ball there was no support runners. I've no problem with him playing up there if he gets a bit of support.

McCurry is possibly injured if not named in the 26, Grugan could be the same.

I am expecting a big improvement tomorrow night. It's been a poor start to the league but we aren't as bad as we have looked to date.

Wedding in family.

freeout23

Not a scoring forward in the 15, why they continue to play cathal mcshane at 13 and kieran mcgeary at 15 is a complete joke. meanwhile you have richard donnelly in midfield who is hardly fit to run the length of himself

tyrone08

I expect Tyrone to be poor and get beat again. If thats the case the regulation is likely. Serious questions must then be asked.

The whole its only Feb or its only the league doesnt wash with me. If players cant kick the ball over the bar or win the breaking ball now then its not going to improve by June/July.

I could see past it if there was a raft of new players in the squad but this has been more or less the same squad for over 3 years now. Same problems year after year.

GetOverTheBar

Team to me looks like Tyrone are going to try two bigger men inside of whatever variety?

Donnelly lads/Cathal McShane/Kennedy all potentially likely for something like this.

Fuzzman

What do ye think of big Kennedy at MF?
I know he's new and still young but I've been disappointed by him so far but I know it's only February and he's been thrown in at the deep end with no recognized seasoned partner.

Good to see Skeet back in the subs but I still get the feeling Mickey is holding back his possible summer forwards until the summer.
I've already seen enough of Coney to think he'll be used at 11 later on.
Mickey knows we're in that chasing pack after Dublin and isn't gonna reveal too much this time of the year.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 22, 2019, 03:10:37 PM
I know he's new and still young but I've been disappointed by him so far but I know it's only February and he's been thrown in at the deep end with no recognized seasoned partner.

Good to see Skeet back in the subs but I still get the feeling Mickey is holding back his possible summer forwards until the summer.
Mickey knows we're in that chasing pack after Dublin and isn't gonna reveal too much this time of the year.

Fuzz, with all due respect we have nothing to reveal. We have no new players that will set the world alight (bar Canavan but it is too early for him). It appears to be same system, same players, same subs, same tactics, same excuses so I wonder what there is that he can reveal....

tyroneman

Quote from: Mikhailov on February 22, 2019, 04:03:12 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 22, 2019, 03:10:37 PM

Fuzz, with all due respect we have nothing to reveal. We have no new players that will set the world alight (bar Canavan but it is too early for him). It appears to be same system, same players, same subs, same tactics, same excuses so I wonder what there is that he can reveal....

If you take the positive slant (and feck knows someone needs to on this thread)..we got to an AI final and were 5-1 up in it with these players / system. IF we hadn't panicked a little and gone for stupid shots history might have been different. Maybe

We now have a wiser (hopefully fitter) Coney on board, Canavan Jnr and (come Summer) a fit Skeet + Richie D., with McCurry as another option.

So lets not get carried away right now - we are a hard ground type of team and you peak in Summer, not Easter.