BBC loving twelfth boom!

Started by ExiledGael, July 13, 2007, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

From BBC, typical crap, I'm sure this is less than average for any weekend or public holiday

City hotels enjoy Twelfth surge

Belfast hotels enjoyed increased occupancy rates of at least 15% over the 12th period, the city's visitor and convention centre has estimated.
The centre's spokeswoman, Lisa McMurray, said that 75% of rooms across Belfast were full.
Several other hotels in the city were full and were forced to turn down bookings.
Ms McMurray added that, over the last four years, hoteliers had been treating the Twelfth "as business as usual."
"In fact there's probably more than a 15% increase from last year as a small number of hotels were actually closed then," she said.
The number of tourists making enquiries at the Belfast Visitor and Convention Centre over the 12th was also up by approximately 20% compared to last year.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 13, 2007, 09:41:45 PM
From BBC, typical crap, I'm sure this is less than average for any weekend or public holiday

City hotels enjoy Twelfth surge

Belfast hotels enjoyed increased occupancy rates of at least 15% over the 12th period, the city's visitor and convention centre has estimated.
The centre's spokeswoman, Lisa McMurray, said that 75% of rooms across Belfast were full.
Several other hotels in the city were full and were forced to turn down bookings.
Ms McMurray added that, over the last four years, hoteliers had been treating the Twelfth "as business as usual."
"In fact there's probably more than a 15% increase from last year as a small number of hotels were actually closed then," she said.
The number of tourists making enquiries at the Belfast Visitor and Convention Centre over the 12th was also up by approximately 20% compared to last year.

So thats 20 more people then last year...!!   Wankers ..!!  >:(
re- Aaron Hill and KAT and the rest.   >:(
Tbc....

ONeill

I think you need to differentiate between the 11th night scumfires and the 12th parades.

If the 12th parades are cleaned up in terms of the drinking/Rangers flag-waving triumphalism, they are a cultural tourist attraction. I like band music and there are areas where such sectarian triumphalism is non-existent and I'd have no bother watching it. The OO have work to do, just as the St Patrick's Day Belfast committee have.

The 11th bonfires are scandalous and need a serious change in mindset that'll take 50 years to address.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ONeill on July 13, 2007, 10:33:23 PM
I think you need to differentiate between the 11th night scumfires and the 12th parades.

If the 12th parades are cleaned up in terms of the drinking/Rangers flag-waving triumphalism, they are a cultural tourist attraction. I like band music and there are areas where such sectarian triumphalism is non-existent and I'd have no bother watching it. The OO have work to do, just as the St Patrick's Day Belfast committee have.

The 11th bonfires are scandalous and need a serious change in mindset that'll take 50 years to address.

Bullshit O'Neill, how the f**k can you bring the St. Patricks Day parade into this you plank!! How long have you been away, distance must have addled your brain. Nearly every one of the marches yesterday had a band with loyalist flags! Get off the fence, your arse must be sore. The OO need to clean out root and branch or disband, neither of which is going to happen.  >:(
Tbc....

GweylTah

Given that hotels are owned by and employ people from all sections of the community, it's good news.

Some of you are narrow-minded, myopic and economically illiterate begrudgers.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: GweylTah on July 13, 2007, 10:43:11 PM
Given that hotels are owned by and employ people from all sections of the community, it's good news.

Listen you WUM where you even in Belfastr todday or yesterday, the place is like a ghost-town, even the Bars are closed.
How the fcuk is that good news.
Tbc....

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

slow corner back

GwetlTah, what is the normal occupancy rate for Belfast hotels on a Wednesday or Thursday in a normal business week. I suspect it would be up to at least 75% otherwise the hotels would be in serious financial difficulty and not springing up around the city. If the twelth did not happen at all the hotels would not miss it and the other shops/ businesses in dowtown Belfast would do much better on a normal trading day. Exceptions being pubs/ off licences obviously but if that is all the twelth is for what is the point?

SammyG

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 13, 2007, 10:39:17 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 13, 2007, 10:33:23 PM

Bullshit O'Neill, how the f**k can you bring the St. Patricks Day parade into this you plank!! How long have you been away, distance must have addled your brain. Nearly every one of the marches yesterday had a band with loyalist flags! Get off the fence, your arse must be sore. The OO need to clean out root and branch or disband, neither of which is going to happen.  >:(

The Belfast Paddy's Day is the mirror image of the Belfast Twelfth. A load of pissed up spides wearing offensive t-shirts and waving flegs, it doesn't make much diference if it's a Rangers fleg or a Celtic fleg, or a UVF fleg or a Provo fleg or a Simply the Best t-shirt or a Bobby Sands t-shirt. Two sides of the same shitty coin.

Balboa

Forgive my ignorance but what do all the f**king tourists that come to Belfast especially for the twelfth do? Is everywhere not shut?

ziggysego

I thought O'Neill's post was very mature. Some people just want trouble. Sure the OO have a long way to go, but at least their going down the right road now. *no pun intended*

Just out of curiousity, what are the hotel bookings like compared to St. Patrick's Day in Belfast?
Testing Accessibility

GweylTah

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 13, 2007, 10:47:10 PM
Quote from: GweylTah on July 13, 2007, 10:43:11 PM

Listen you WUM where you even in Belfastr todday or yesterday, the place is like a ghost-town, even the Bars are closed.
How the fcuk is that good news.

I suspect that within the next couple of years, most of the shops will be open on the Twelfth, and that tourists will be flocking to the place. I hope St Patricks Day and the Twelfth can both be successful and, if not exactly multi-cultural events, then at least events where people can adopt a live and let live attitude.

People should quit the begrudgery - things are getting better, if people would let them.

ziggysego

I look forward to the day that the Union Flag won't be flown on the 12th, just the like the tricolor can't be flown here for St. Patrick's ;)
Testing Accessibility

stiffler

It was probably all them scottish bandsmen coming over staying in the hotels. God help the hotel staff trying to understand the ulster scotch  ;D
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

GweylTah

Quote from: ziggysego on July 13, 2007, 11:00:21 PM
I look forward to the day that the Union Flag won't be flown on the 12th, just the like the tricolor can't be flown here for St. Patrick's ;)

There should be no problems with either flag on either day.  Orange in the Tricolour (presumably there for a reason) and St Patrick on the Unon Jack. It's simple.