Feile future under threat

Started by Eamonnca1, February 28, 2013, 01:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Hogan Stand:

QuoteFeile future under threat
27 February 2013

The future of the renowned Feile competitions is under threat because some clubs are too competitive.

GAA officials have raised concerns on the matter as Feile heads into its 42nd year as they feel that the competition has lost its ethos.

Feile is a competition at under-14 level that covers hurling, football, camogie and girls' football and it has become an important part of the GAA's culture.

At a recent Central Council meeting plans were discussed to remove the competitive element from Feile and also to ensure that clubs of every level get a chance to participate, rather than just the best teams in respective counties.

Reports of teams staying in hotels and warm weather training in an attempt to win the national Feile competition have lead to the current discussions.

I nearly choked when I saw the "too competitive" part. Kids around the age of 12 and over love competition. Nothing wrong with it IMHO.  There's a place for competitive games and there's a place for non-competitive games.

And what's wrong with teams staying in hotels? Would you prefer them to camp in tents in a field?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2013, 01:45:09 AM
Hogan Stand:

27 February 2013

The future of the renowned Feile competitions is under threat because some clubs are too competitive.

GAA officials have raised concerns on the matter as Feile heads into its 42nd year as they feel that the competition has lost its ethos.

Feile is a competition at under-14 level that covers hurling, football, camogie and girls' football and it has become an important part of the GAA's culture.

At a recent Central Council meeting plans were discussed to remove the competitive element from Feile and also to ensure that clubs of every level get a chance to participate, rather than just the best teams in respective counties.

Reports of teams staying in hotels and warm weather training in an attempt to win the national Feile competition have lead to the current discussions.

I nearly choked when I saw the "too competitive" part. Kids around the age of 12 and over love competition. Nothing wrong with it IMHO.  There's a place for competitive games and there's a place for non-competitive games.

And what's wrong with teams staying in hotels? Would you prefer them to camp in tents in a field?

I have an issue with the whole "too competitive" angle and I agree with you that the Feile is one of those jewels where the competitive edge is part of the ethos but I do have an issue with teams staying in hotels.  As a former player on the Feile weekend and now father of a player who played 2 summers ago, part of the joy of the event is the whole 'community' aspect whereby the teams stay with local clubs.  That builds friendships and ongoing relationships and should be made a central element of the whole weekend.  The players will stay in enough hotels over their lives, this is a chance to build friendships.

Declan

QuoteAs a former player on the Feile weekend and now father of a player who played 2 summers ago, part of the joy of the event is the whole 'community' aspect whereby the teams stay with local clubs.  That builds friendships and ongoing relationships and should be made a central element of the whole weekend.  The players will stay in enough hotels over their lives, this is a chance to build friendships.

Agree 100%. U14 is about development and learning about teamwork etc

ziggy90

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 28, 2013, 08:39:57 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 28, 2013, 01:45:09 AM
Hogan Stand:

27 February 2013

I have an issue with the whole "too competitive" angle and I agree with you that the Feile is one of those jewels where the competitive edge is part of the ethos but I do have an issue with teams staying in hotels.  As a former player on the Feile weekend and now father of a player who played 2 summers ago, part of the joy of the event is the whole 'community' aspect whereby the teams stay with local clubs.  That builds friendships and ongoing relationships and should be made a central element of the whole weekend.  The players will stay in enough hotels over their lives, this is a chance to build friendships.

Good stuff, the clubs here in Warwickshire that send teams over to Ireland can/are very competitive but as you say the 'community' feeling is a major aspect of the event. It is also good for the morale of GAA people over here to realise their children are going to be looked after by like minded families, and also to be able to reciprocate the hospitality awarded their teams whenever the occasion arises.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

blanketattack

By too competitive they mean how a number of Dublin clubs have brought their U14 team over to Spain for a week of warm weather training prior to the competition. That's too competitive for my liking.

Hound

Quote from: blanketattack on February 28, 2013, 12:17:02 PM
By too competitive they mean how a number of Dublin clubs have brought their U14 team over to Spain for a week of warm weather training prior to the competition. That's too competitive for my liking.
A number of Dublin clubs or one Dublin club?

I know its not uncommon for underage soccer teams to take trips abroad, so I don't see anything wrong with GAA teams doing likewise. Presumably its all self funded .

stephenite

Warm weather training for an u-14 tournament, self funded or not, is ridiculous. There is an expectation placed on slender shoulders with that sort of treatment, a duty of care is required when dealing with lads.

Canalman

Only the one Dublin club did that as far as I know.

Declan

Lads to my mind and in line with best coaching principles on the player athlete pathway as defined particularly for field sports the ages between 12-15 fall into the Training to Train section where emphasis should be on Structured activities, introduction to deliberate practice with greater emphasis on skill performance or as the handouts say - build 'the engine' and consolidate sport-specific skills

I use this as a reference quite a lot - http://www.coachingireland.com/files/NCTC_pathways_Report.pdf and find it very useful.

I've recommended it to pushy parents in particular ;)

theskull1

I've heard the Dublin club we're talking about is in a fairly well to do area with a very large catchment ...a few days away in malaga would be easy funded. They're only doing "their" best for their kids.

With a large catchment and well organised structured coaching (ignoring the warm weather training), they will always be really strong (age profile/size) compared to 99% of clubs who dont have these luxuries.

I'm sure it puts ordinary clubs competing in Div 1 off but not sure what you can do

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on February 28, 2013, 01:15:12 PM
I've heard the Dublin club we're talking about is in a fairly well to do area with a very large catchment ...a few days away in malaga would be easy funded. They're only doing "their" best for their kids.

With a large catchment and well organised structured coaching (ignoring the warm weather training), they will always be really strong (age profile/size) compared to 99% of clubs who dont have these luxuries.

I'm sure it puts ordinary clubs competing in Div 1 off but not sure what you can do

The club in question don't seem to be doing too bad in what must be the most competitive county in Ireland, thank you very much.

The club wasn't and will not always be as successful. They've put massive work in across all levels of the club.

Fair dues to them.

If they've the money, good luck to them. Mightn't be mine or your cup of tea but there you go.

clarshack

who is this dublin club?

whats the big deal with all the secrecy?

Canalman

Quote from: clarshack on February 28, 2013, 01:25:52 PM
who is this dublin club?

whats the big deal with all the secrecy?

Read theSkull1's post. Turn it back to round and you should be able to work out the club in question. He couldn't be more wrong imvho.

orangeman

A DUBLIN club has defended its decision to send their U14s to Portugal before last weekend's Féile tournament.

By Terry Reilly
Division 1 champions Ballymun Kickhams won the prestigious underage All-Ireland, a first national title in the club's history, on Sunday. The club had sent the U14s to Browns in the Algarve in Villamoura, a popular senior inter-county venue for pre-season training camps, three weeks before the event in Cork and had been accused of organising a training camp but manager Paddy Christie dismissed the notion.

"We went away for four days," said the former Dublin star.

"I've heard numerous things being said, saying we were taking advantage and were cocky booking it before we won the Dublin Féile.

"But we booked it January. It was not a pre-championship preparation. We would never do that. It was a social trip and there were 15 parents with us. There was no mad fitness training.

"You can see how situation developed. But I'd say we trained for 10% of time we were there. It was more for the kids. When you're training in January it's something to look forward to. If we were knocked out we would still have gone."

The club draws players from Glasnevin and Ballymun. Christie believed they have to manage their team differently from other clubs.

"We would be drawing from disadvantaged areas with social problems and all with it. Things like this all help the kids who are vulnerable and makes a big difference.

"As teachers we [the management] were interested in the good of the kids. I hope the kids stay playing, I hope it makes them better people and they're better for the last four years [under him]. I can see how they've come on from boys to young men."

In fact the only inside knowledge he had going to Cork was from his selector, Tomás Hayes, originally from Bishopstown. But beating St Michael's from Blackrock in Cork in the semi-final was bittersweet for one of Hill 16's favourite sons.

"Not many people know but I was born in Cork and spent the first four years of my life in Blackrock, it was strange."

The club beat St Finbarr's in the final on an impressive scoreline of 2-3 to 0-1 and hopes are high in Ballymun that they can go return to the halicon days of the '80s when Barney Rock and Dermot Deacy led them to two Dublin SFC titles.

Christie previously managed a Ballymun side from U10s up to U21s and last year 12 of that side started in the Dublin SFC while Philly McMahon and Alan Hubbard are on the current Dublin senior team. After helping them to two U21 titles in a row Christie returned to the U10s and has put in four years with this group.

However he has not set big targets for the youngsters.

"Two things at the start agreed on club never won a Dublin Division 1 Féile before and we achieved in April. The club has never won an U15 A either, we've won every other grade and that's the priority for next year."

Zulu

Not sure why all the smoke and mirrors stuff here but Ballymun u14's went away to Spain (I think it was) prior to their Feile win but I remember Paddy Christie saying this was a trip organised for the kids anyway and had nothing to do with Feile.

I see nothing wrong with bringing kids away on trips, in fact I'd encourage it, because I firmly believe that clubs should offer more than simply games and training if they can. If a club can afford to do something like a trip away then they should, if they can't they shouldn't. As long as the adults are keeping everything in perspective then there is no issue and I'm not sure CP should be getting too taxed about it. Feile should remain for the best teams in each county as U14 is the right age to introduce proper competition IMO.

EDIT: Just saw previous post.