Lake Garda

Started by tyroneman, November 15, 2011, 08:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Thinking of heading next year. Been recommended Bardolino area.

Anyone been there (or any other part) - worth going?

What is best way to get there? Fly to Verona and taxi?

playwiththewind1st

Don't get sucked into going via Milan - 4 hour bus journey ffs.

Maguire01

Great spot - somewhere i'd definitely go back to. Probably preferred Garda town itself to Bardolino, but they're very close to each other (10 mins by car or 30 min walk along the lake).

Milan has 3 airports - Lineata, Malpensa and Bergamo. Malpensa is a good trek away, but Bergamo is very handy for Garda - very quick to get onto the motorway and then it's motorway to the bottom of the lake with normal roads for the last 20 minutes or so. I hired a car and it was a handy enough spin - well signposted.

I don't know who flys into Verona or from where, so i can't help you there.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2011, 09:49:05 PM

Ryanair flies into Bergamo from Dublin, which might be his best bet.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 15, 2011, 09:55:01 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2011, 09:49:05 PM

Ryanair flies into Bergamo from Dublin, which might be his best bet.
Yep, I think that's the one I used. It's a bit of a dump of an airport - for low budget airlines and typically not very central to Milan, but on the right side for Garda.

lawnseed

anywhere along the swiss/italian/french alps is class. food- class, booze- class, alittle expensive but worth it
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

LeoMc

Limone or Riva del Garda, two lovely wee towns. Take a day to go up and down the lake in the ferry, get a look at all the towns. Verona not too far away to spend a day also.

BennyHarp

My sister in law got married in Malcesine in Lake Garda a few years ago, we flew into Milan and hired a car and drove along the lake, took a few hours but was a beautiful drive. On the way back we took the ferry across the Lake which was very nice and cut an hour or so off the journey. You could also go a shorter route by motorway but it is a bit boring. The town of Malcesine itself was very nice too, I'd definately recommend a visit. The Italians are feckin nuts on the roads though - had quite a few scary moments along the way!
That was never a square ball!!

lawnseed

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 15, 2011, 10:37:25 PM
My sister in law got married in Malcesine in Lake Garda a few years ago, we flew into Milan and hired a car and drove along the lake, took a few hours but was a beautiful drive. On the way back we took the ferry across the Lake which was very nice and cut an hour or so off the journey. You could also go a shorter route by motorway but it is a bit boring. The town of Malcesine itself was very nice too, I'd definately recommend a visit. The Italians are feckin nuts on the roads though - had quite a few scary moments along the way!
the northern italians are a wee bit crazy when they get behind the wheel or behind you on the road. but just like ireland the folks in the south are complete fukn launatics. naples is worth a visit just to watch them driving you'd find it difficult to spot a single car thats not damaged :D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Massey-135

Not Garda but I was at a wedding in Lake Iseo, the smallest of the four lakes, in September and it was pretty amazing. Scenery is something special, and it was very relaxing. Quite expensive area though and very little English spoken, but I imagine Garda would be a bit more touristy so English might not a problem there. We flew into Bergamo which was handy enough as the other posters said - it's the right side of Milan for the lake district and straight onto the motorway.
Beer is lovely there but very expensive and not that popular - nobody could pour a pint!
Verona isn't far away on the train and a day trip to Venice is no problem either.
Would seriously recommend the whole area and I'd hope to go back myself

Bingo

Lake Garda is a great spot - has everytime. There is even theme parks for kids if you like, plenty of water sports/hiking/cycling etc or plenty of wee small towns to just relax and explore. Food is top class in most places.

I flew into Bergamo and hired a car - a handy run out of airport and down motorway - a word of note as you enter toll roads take a ticket, when you exit you use ticket to pay based on far you drove, one of the lads in another car didn't take a ticket, when he exited he caused an international incident with a toll operator who had no english and they got into a heated slagging match.

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

thejuice

Was in Lago Di Como a few years back. Absolutely stunning. We were lucky to get cheap accommodation  in a friends holiday home and pretty much a free taxi  to take us about. Went kayacking on the lake which was great.

Flew to Bergamo with Ryanair for next to nothing less than €60 but I doubt you'd get it that cheap these days.

Best time to travel is just before high season. we went around mid-May.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

fearglasmor

Been to Lake Garda twice in the last few years. First time on a chartered flight into Verona and hired a car for the two weeks. Second time flew into Milan Linate on a scheduled flight and hired a car for the two weeks. Stayed in apartments just above Garda town both times. Absolutely no problem with driving so long as you prepare a bit and know where you are going. Didnt find any lunatic drivers in the Lake Garda area in fact its more the millions of cyclists that you need to watch out for. Parking is great every village has its own little car park usually costs about a euro. You can drive right round th elake stopping at the villages or criss cross on th eferry if you like. Limone the opposite side of th elake from Garda is beautiful and Sirmione at the sound end is worth a visit. Garda land theme park is a must if you have kids and maybe even if you dont. There also Movieland and an Aqua Park close by. W also visited a drive thru safari park again good especially for the kids. Took a drive away from the lake up into the mountains, beatiful but some shit scary haripin bends with a sheer drop and no rail. Thankfully we didnt meet a tourbus. Monta Baldo is wort a visit, you can go up in a cable car from Malcesine.  The north end of the lake is packed with watersport activities if your into that. I would definitely recommend it but really need a car to make the most of it. Hopefull getting back for a third stay maybe next year.

heganboy

Cant go wrong with Lake Garda, one of the top places I have ever visited- stunning and calming spot. Lovely- really brilliant, the other spot is Lake Annecy in France very similar, if you get the chance St Jorioz is a beautiful little town.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Main Street

I'd endorse the already mentioned.
Rent a car
Gardaland
and if you do the highly recommended day trip to Venice, start early and take good note of the location where you park your car :)