Your 1st "real" concert...

Started by 5 Sams, October 18, 2011, 10:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Gary Moore (RIP) - King's Hall 1989 - guitar legend!

Main Street

Gary Moore was in my second real concert, when he filled in for Eric Bell for a NYE Lizzy concert at the Stadium.
I had heard of him before but little else.
The guy took over the stage, reinterpreted the guitar lines in every song, reinvented 'The Rocker', that was one astonishing gig.
Lizzy's later dual guitar ensemble was as dull as dishwater by comparison.
But I wasn't 'into' Gary Moore with his own band.

westmayo

REM in Slane 1995, support from Oasis that night a few months before Morning Glory came out. That must be one of the last big shows they had proper tickets for each gig not just a printed off generic ticketmaster ones you get now.

Denn Forever

The Smiths in the SFX in 84 and then on to St. Pats Druncondra for Stockton's Wing.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggy90

Quote from: Orior on October 18, 2011, 11:04:40 PM
I'm not giving the year but.....

The Indians, at the Nuremore, Co. Monaghan
The Nolan Sisters, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal
Gary Glitter, Queens Student Union, Belfast
Squeeze, Queens Student Union, Belfast

Happy, innocent, carefree days without any of the modern age cynicism.
The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart & The Faces & Slade, all at the Odeon Birmingham New St. Happy, carefree days as you said Orior, I can't believe how innocent the majority of us were back then. The only concerts I've been to since then have been Springsteen ones(plenty of them).   
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

5 Sams

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 19, 2011, 01:02:38 PM
The Smiths in the SFX in 84 and then on to St. Pats Druncondra for Stockton's Wing.

Now there's a blast from the past....brilliant band....

The Aristocrat Years

stew

Queen in England, 19 hundred and 79. ( I think)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gawa316

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 18, 2011, 11:31:50 PM
First big one I can remember was U2 PopMart in Botanic Gardens around 1997. Must have been to something before that though  ???

Snap. That was the one with the big lemon right?

One of brothers mates had a backyard over looking it so twus a cheap night for us. Mind buying 10 bottles of red dog for it!

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Aerlik

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

heganboy

For a big "International" act- Simple Minds RDS supported by Texas and Something Happens- June 22nd 1989 was the first big one, Charlene Spiteri came out to the whole crowd chanting "we want you", and we all did want her...

Great thread by the way

best gigs were Christy at the point March 17th 1994

Luka bloom in the mandela hall QUB 1993 (with maybe 20 people in the room as they had printed the posters and the tickets with the wrong date so they pulled the crew from the bun a ti in with the offer of free pints, your man comes out and says don't worry about it, one of the best nights of my life there was only two other people in the room)

U2 Botanic Gardens after peace broke out supported by D Trimble and J Hume- euphoric audience (sorry to the purists have seen U2 maybe 15 times live from '87 onwards and that was the daddy- don't really count them as a "real" international act which is why simple minds above )

The Four of Us always brilliant live from '89 in St Enda's GAA Omagh to 2010 in Belfast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFETI5OXJ0 is a one hour show of them live fantastic way to spend an hour..)

Gutted that I was having a beer with a friend in a crappy little bar in Rumson NJ, left to go home about 9.30 and an hour later Bruce Springsteen and Steve Van Zandt came in with their wives for a few drinks and played acoustic for an hour. Steve's real wive played his stage wife in Sopranos and Patti Scialfa plays with Bruce on stage.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

Quote from: ardal on October 18, 2011, 10:41:52 PM

Simple minds
The waterboys
The smiths
Blue in Heaven
In Tua Nua

Didn't go to see the smiths nor simple minds. Thunder and lightning meant that simply minds took all awards as they solo introd "step up to the water front" but god was on their side, if not it was a toss up between the waterboys and leslie Downall

Wasn't the Smiths, it was Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. My first concert too except that I was working at it. The thunder storm was spectacular.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Has anyone been to a "continuity" concert?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bingo

Quote from: gawa316 on October 19, 2011, 03:06:12 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 18, 2011, 11:31:50 PM
First big one I can remember was U2 PopMart in Botanic Gardens around 1997. Must have been to something before that though  ???

Snap. That was the one with the big lemon right?

One of brothers mates had a backyard over looking it so twus a cheap night for us. Mind buying 10 bottles of red dog for it!

Worked in the bar at that concert - scary shit with the crowd wedged against it, bar falling in, security pulling people out of crush. Ended up taking cash at the bar counter - the prepaid ticket huts were abandoned after one collapsed! Never seem as much cash - it was carried off in paper bins!

Also landed at a house party after it with the strangest gathering of people i ever met -  turned out they were all doctors and the like from one of the hospitals but they were weird - looking and personality wise. Good times mind!

Massey-135

Oasis in Prehen playing fields in Derry, 2002