Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

We have to be happy with two points there. That Kildare team were fighting for their lives to stay in Division 1 and we matched their hunger and more. Two points were key and we got that.

McKenna cup next weekend then hopefully two more points from our game in Castleblayney.

You're right trillickman, our shooting is horrendous recently. There can't be too many teams across all divisions with our wide totals.

Onthe40

Not long in..

The Positives:
- we got what we went for, it was must a win game and the result was achieved.
- Donnellys winning point showed great leadership and self confidence kicking on his weaker side with ultimately the last kick of the game...this was the Donnelly of old..need more of it
- better fight in the second half when again it looked like the game was going away..unlike the last 2 games
-Mcshane is showing signs of improvement week on week

Negatives:
-Kildare are a div2 side..they are big, athletic but have no scoring forwards..their usual achilles hill (if i was a kildare supporter id be tearing my hair out at the amount of times Kildare fwds just ran into blind alleys getting continually overturned)
-ive a feeling todays 2 teams were the favs for relegation..hope im wrong
-our fwd line is still poor overall...mcaliskey i just cant work out..too inconsistent over the 70 mins... mccurry came on looked sharp then faded...Sludden is not as effective as hes been in previous seasons especially shot selection
Lee Brennan prob the pick up front...Meyeler does serious work but just refuses to shoot
-Petey again going missing for too long

a couple of big battles ahead....

rrhf

Tyrone quite bland at the moment with the first half display v Dublin the highlight. Good to get the points today but think we will just about stay up.,

sensethetone

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 11, 2018, 09:40:31 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on February 11, 2018, 09:27:49 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 10, 2018, 06:17:14 PM
i thing Thebigdog makes a fair point regarding pyshcological scars. we could be entering a post meath '96 scenario which took us 3 or 4 yrs to get over. and that was with new mangagement, could be worse this time.

Art and Eugene were the manager's around that time.
not sure what ur point is but danny ball took over in '97.
Maybe you do know the point.

sambostar

Good to get the win yesterday, would have been virtually down had they lost. As others have said encouraging performances from Conor Myler and McShane. Great scores in 2nd half from Matty, off either foot. He needs to be doing that more often though. He normally picks the ball up between the 21 and 45 and brings it out past midfield. He really needs to be the man picking it up in the opposition half and driving at the defence to either win a scorable free or take the shot himself. He's probably the best kicker from distance (remember his 3 from play in AI semi against Mayo).

I couldn't believe Morgan in the 1st half. He went to catch 1 Kildare shot that was miles wide, was under no pressure and he dropped it out giving away a 45 that their keeper then kicked over. He also took a short kick-out to Hampsey who wasn't outside the 21, ref threw the ball up, Kildare got a free and another handy point. 2 stupid, mindless mistakes that could have cost Tyrone the game.

The shooting is consistently woeful, maybe it's just because I'm supporting Tyrone but they always seem to kick double-figures in wides each game and kick way more than the opposition. I saw McBrearty on Saturday night and Tyrone have no-one near his calibre in terms of accuracy. The right-footed frees are a major issue - can Matty not hit these? McAliskey is not up to the task in terms of frees and it looks increasingly likely from play either. He might get the odd wonder point but you can't imagine him kicking 5 or 6 from play against any decent opposition. He has no composure on goal chances either. Great work-rate alright but not a reliable scorer.

Harte was quiet again. Thought McGeary did well in patches, won a few 1-on-1 against his direct marker. McCarron looks like he is well past his best at this stage. Also don't understand how C McCann continues to get game-time, he has been average at best in every Tyrone appearance since the Derry championship game last year - hard to think of 1 highlight in the intervening period. Is McClure injured or what?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Scoring Zone on February 09, 2018, 09:50:13 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 09, 2018, 04:41:48 PM
Nice to see Lee Brennan named again, another good test for him this week.

He's been looking really sharp, but lets hope he doesn't end up like young Clifford and Moran in Kerry and getting hurt out of high intensity games every few days with Sigerson and league this last wile

Completely agree - seen enough in these two league games - he can do it at intercounty level. We now need to protect a special talent best we can. See no reason for him to play in McKenna Cup to be honest if he's in any way showing effects to the recent burst of fixtures.

Tyrone Gaa

I think Donegal will give Tyrone a good test in the McKenna Cup final.  Because of where the teams are positioned and that the league is underway then all of a sudden I'm of the opinion that this is now a relevant fixture to see where both teams are at.  As long as Donegal field a strong side Tyrone should face probably the best forward in the country at the minute in McBrearty. 

Donegal and Bonnar will be out to end Tyrone's dominance in this competition.  If Tyrone are able to get the win a bit of momentum might kick in and leave the team well prepared to face Monaghan in another tough league encounter. 
Living the dream!!!

the goal was on

Donegal will be fielding a second string as they previously done in the semi final.

bigpackiechestout

I would expect a bit of rotation from Tyrone as well considering this weekend was originally designed to be a break in the league. I would expect Harry Loughran to get some game time as well as others who haven't had a start in a few weeks. Thinking of Ronan O'Neill, Ronan McNabb, possibly Ronan McHugh and Brendan Burns as well as Michael Cassidy if he is fit.

Onthe40

cant see anything than 2nd strings..the league game in a few weeks is now of far more importance and should be a hum dinger...that said id expect to see Murphy this weekend as he looked rusty v the Dubs...

BennyHarp

Looks like Tiernan McCann is out for at least two months with a knee injury.
That was never a square ball!!

skeog

Hope he receives better treatment finance wise than last year.Big loss as he has improved so much since his debut.

redzone

Quote from: skeog on February 13, 2018, 10:20:33 PM
Hope he receives better treatment finance wise than last year.Big loss as he has improved so much since his debut.
I'd say he has his own insurance out. Anybody that works should have it. I know a lad 3 years nearly and still no cheque from the gaa injury scheme. Broken arm he had

southtyronegael

just watched the entire kildare game again and it was poor stuff. we played exactly the same style of football that we have done this last few years. no ball kicked into full forward line again, then we ended up with entire ff line back in defense. towards the end mark bradley was left up front on his own again and got one high ball lobbed into him from mc shane. a better team than kildare would have punished us.

Therealdonald

What happened him finance wise last year?