AISF Mayo v Dublin

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

Farrandeelin

Thought you'd be a harder man than that Indy. 8)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Ya Indy...you'd get the heart kicked of ya easily round here hai...
Yer man Bono was sent packing the nancy boy  ;D

http://www.u2theearlydayz.com/10051980-town-hall-ballina.html

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: INDIANA on August 18, 2015, 05:55:21 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 18, 2015, 10:18:51 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 18, 2015, 07:17:17 AM
Wow. Whingefest meets Cringefest 
Quote from: moysider on August 18, 2015, 12:28:09 AM
The notion that CP is some kind of Mecca or Taj Mahal is way off the mark also. It's already a crumbling pigeon sanctuary, that was never completed and is poorly serviced by public transport. In a part of a city very difficult to reach.
Yeah, a place within a short walk of Connolly Station and Bus Aras is very difficult to reach!
But at least it puts the rest of your posts in context

We wouldn't feel safe walking through all the kn**ker's and junkies around there

Funny felt the same last time I walked around Ballina with all the itinerants. You should feel right at home then so

What was a fine Dub like you doing wandering around the land of the Culchies, outside the protection of the Pale and all
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

INDIANA

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 18, 2015, 06:30:38 PM
The notion that CP is some kind of Mecca or Taj Mahal is way off the mark also. It's already a crumbling pigeon sanctuary, that was never completed and is poorly serviced by public transport. In a part of a city very difficult to reach.
Yeah, a place within a short walk of Connolly Station and Bus Aras is very difficult to reach!

We wouldn't feel safe walking through all the kn**ker's and junkies around there

Funny felt the same last time I walked around Ballina with all the itinerants. You should feel right at home then so

What was a fine Dub like you doing wandering around the land of the Culchies, outside the protection of the Pale and all

My mother told me to experience a wide circle of life. You haven't lived unless you've been to a nightclub in Ballina. I'm telling you'd love some of the pubs on the way up from Heuston.

whitey

LOL-Indiana.  I saw a fella in a nightclub in Castlebar, wearing steel toe capped boots    (just in case aggro broke out)

IolarCoisCuain

This game could be played on the Strawberry Beds that sweep down to the Liffey, reffed by Mrs Brown and have Brush Shields sing a few songs at half-time and Mayo would still wipe the floor with Dublin.

One of the Dubs remarked earlier (and I'm sorry I can't namecheck you, but I haven't the time to go looking back) that it was unfair to attribute Dublin's recent success to the millions spent and the home advantage thing and all the rest. He's correct. Dublin have always had home advantage, have always had more, ahem, resources than other counties and all the rest. But it's only now that they've started to really dominate the landscape.

There are two reasons for this. The first is the failure of any other Leinster team to mount even a token resistance. But the second is that the current Dublin team are blessed with players of not alone outstanding talent, but talent that's ideally suited to the modern game. Stephen Cluxton and Michael Dara MacAuley are the players who are supremely adapted to the modern game, while Connolly would be a great on any team in any era. A child could see that.

However. If I were Jim Gavin I'm not sure I'd be one bit happy about this game. I'd be wondering just which side the hill some of my key older players are. I'd be wondering what exactly is in the belly of some of my other players. Dublin haven't played a team as physically conditioned as Mayo all summer. You can theorise about it all you like, but the theory of being hit by Colm Boyle and the actuality of that explosive and crippling impact are two different things. How quickly will it take Dublin to adjust to that?

The other thing that isn't making news but maybe ought to is the absence of Eoghan O'Gara. O'Gara is a little like MacAuley - he's not a footballer from central casting, but he does a very specific job for Dublin, and nobody else does it quite as well. I could never quite figure out the fuss over him until I saw him live in 2013. I got it then.

But O'Gara's on the DL now. Before his traumatic trip outside the M50, over which the nation naturally weeps, Indiana made a valuable point here about what Dublin would lose in putting Connolly inside in terms of another target for Cluxton. You may also have read Jim McGuinness's thoughts in today's Irish Times about how Cluxton can get a little jittery if the kickouts aren't quite going his way. Dublin need Connolly out the field but if he's out the field, who'll be the O'Gara-esque bull in the china shop on the edge of the square?

This has been an excellent Dublin generation, without question their best since the 70s. Which generation was better is a harder question, for another thread. But I'm afraid, my metropolitan friends, that the End is Near. It's coming from the West on swift wings, and desolation comes with it. Best to brace yourselves now, while you still have time. If you're heading west again between now and then Indiana, give Ballina a skip and head for Knock. Catch a few novenas. Stock up on the rosary beads, just in case.

Up Mayo.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 18, 2015, 09:26:01 PM
This game could be played on the Strawberry Beds that sweep down to the Liffey, reffed by Mrs Brown and have Brush Shields sing a few songs at half-time and Mayo would still wipe the floor with Dublin.

One of the Dubs remarked earlier (and I'm sorry I can't namecheck you, but I haven't the time to go looking back) that it was unfair to attribute Dublin's recent success to the millions spent and the home advantage thing and all the rest. He's correct. Dublin have always had home advantage, have always had more, ahem, resources than other counties and all the rest. But it's only now that they've started to really dominate the landscape.

There are two reasons for this. The first is the failure of any other Leinster team to mount even a token resistance. But the second is that the current Dublin team are blessed with players of not alone outstanding talent, but talent that's ideally suited to the modern game. Stephen Cluxton and Michael Dara MacAuley are the players who are supremely adapted to the modern game, while Connolly would be a great on any team in any era. A child could see that.

However. If I were Jim Gavin I'm not sure I'd be one bit happy about this game. I'd be wondering just which side the hill some of my key older players are. I'd be wondering what exactly is in the belly of some of my other players. Dublin haven't played a team as physically conditioned as Mayo all summer. You can theorise about it all you like, but the theory of being hit by Colm Boyle and the actuality of that explosive and crippling impact are two different things. How quickly will it take Dublin to adjust to that?

The other thing that isn't making news but maybe ought to is the absence of Eoghan O'Gara. O'Gara is a little like MacAuley - he's not a footballer from central casting, but he does a very specific job for Dublin, and nobody else does it quite as well. I could never quite figure out the fuss over him until I saw him live in 2013. I got it then.

But O'Gara's on the DL now. Before his traumatic trip outside the M50, over which the nation naturally weeps, Indiana made a valuable point here about what Dublin would lose in putting Connolly inside in terms of another target for Cluxton. You may also have read Jim McGuinness's thoughts in today's Irish Times about how Cluxton can get a little jittery if the kickouts aren't quite going his way. Dublin need Connolly out the field but if he's out the field, who'll be the O'Gara-esque bull in the china shop on the edge of the square?

Bernard Brogan?

This has been an excellent Dublin generation, without question their best since the 70s. Which generation was better is a harder question, for another thread. But I'm afraid, my metropolitan friends, that the End is Near. It's coming from the West on swift wings, and desolation comes with it. Best to brace yourselves now, while you still have time. If you're heading west again between now and then Indiana, give Ballina a skip and head for Knock. Catch a few novenas. Stock up on the rosary beads, just in case.

Up Mayo.

More mind games I'm guessing? Dublin are clear favorites

From the Bunker

Quote from: whitey on August 18, 2015, 07:22:23 PM
LOL-Indiana.  I saw a fella in a nightclub in Castlebar, wearing steel toe capped boots    (just in case aggro broke out)

Maybe he had ingrown toenails? Remember having that problem. Nightclubs were a real killer. It's hard to believe the amount of people that stand on your feet (toes). Disaster for playing football.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2015, 09:41:28 PM

Maybe he had ingrown toenails? Remember having that problem. Nightclubs were a real killer. It's hard to believe the amount of people that stand on your feet (toes). Disaster for playing football.

Funny there was one bird in that nightclub in Ballina that was wearing fish nets but you'd have needed a fishing trawler to find them. Remember it distinctly - it was such an ungainly sight.

It was an eclectic mix . The Dublin scrotes mixed in with the Ballina itinerants and a few poor hen partys who I felt sorry for.

I mean who in the name of God would pick down-town Ballina for a stag or a hen (shakes head). May as well do a pub crawl in Ballybough

moysider

I'm sure you mean the travelling community? Yeah loads of them there.

But they are mostly well behaved and well fed. Can t compare them to the emaciated wrecks of junkies that roar at each other as they freeload from one luas stop to the other. God love them. And I mean that sincerely.

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on August 18, 2015, 11:15:54 PM

But they are mostly well behaved and well fed. Can t compare them to the emaciated wrecks of junkies that roar at each other as they freeload from one luas stop to the other. God love them. And I mean that sincerely.

Plenty of junkies in Ballina these days in fairness. Ballina has had a heroin problem since 2007. It's as big a shithole as many of the drug den kips in Dublin

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: INDIANA on August 18, 2015, 11:19:33 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 18, 2015, 11:15:54 PM

Plenty of junkies in Ballina these days in fairness. Ballina has had a heroin problem since 2007. It's as big a shithole as many of the drug den kips in Dublin

Back to the football discussion anyone?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Up Mayo.

I stopped at Colm Boyle,  another in the guise of Aidan OMahony with the Garda hardman act

You will be quoting Donal Vaughan next  ::)

INDIANA

Up Mayo.

100 percent agreed. Exceptional post

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 18, 2015, 11:08:54 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2015, 09:41:28 PM

Funny there was one bird in that nightclub in Ballina that was wearing fish nets but you'd have needed a fishing trawler to find them. Remember it distinctly - it was such an ungainly sight.

It was an eclectic mix . The Dublin scrotes mixed in with the Ballina itinerants and a few poor hen partys who I felt sorry for.

I mean who in the name of God would pick down-town Ballina for a stag or a hen (shakes head). May as well do a pub crawl in Ballybough

Wha? a few (3) hen parties in the one place in a spot in Ballina. Jaysus, which recession was that again they were reduced so low? 70s early 80s, 80s, early 90s or after the bail-out?
I'm listening to a Ballina fella complaining about the expense of 3 stags in Vegas in 18 months. Maybe they leave their bords slum it at home with visiting Dubs and local housing estate wimmin?
Hmmm sounds to me like ye city lads were trying a bit of mudsharking with the local ghetto girls ;)