AISF Mayo v Dublin

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

ballinaman

Last time I was this hungover it was 2006.....it's written in the stars.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Safe journey to anyone travelling. Mayo by 2  :)

macdanger2

Oh, and I hear there's ructions in the Mayo camp, AOS and Higgins dropped

ballinaman

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 30, 2015, 10:18:08 AM
Oh, and I hear there's ructions in the Mayo camp, AOS and Higgins dropped
Fergal Kelly starting at midfield .

Fuzzman

Anyone got spare tickets.
A Dublin friend of mine needs two or three preferably for the Hill as he wants to take his sons.

Zulu

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 29, 2015, 11:23:41 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 29, 2015, 11:11:59 PM
Dublin don't have a significantly better forward line. Andrews isn't any better than a lot of the Mayo forwards and Rock is not an IC forward (though he is an exceptional free-taker). Flynn seems to be hampered by injury and if he maintains the form of recent games then he isn't a major improvement on Mayo's forwards either. Doc has improved immeasurably from the man he was and is a significant improvement for Mayo so to say Mayo haven't a forward-line to match Dublin in 2015 is nonsense.

Rock has scored 2-19 in 4 championship games (and 1-52 in 9 league games) in 2015.   Yes, much of that was from frees, but if that return doesn't count as an IC forward, I don't know what does.

He is not even close to being an IC forward lads. The 2-6 he got from play was while playing in one of the best teams in Ireland against largely division 3 standard teams, if your corner forward wasn't getting at least that you'd be wondering if he played the game at all. He wins little or no 50/50 ball and isn't a player who will worry opposition managers.

Zulu

Quote from: Hound on August 30, 2015, 07:52:24 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 29, 2015, 11:22:01 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 29, 2015, 11:11:59 PM
Dublin don't have a significantly better forward line. Andrews isn't any better than a lot of the Mayo forwards and Rock is not an IC forward (though he is an exceptional free-taker). Flynn seems to be hampered by injury and if he maintains the form of recent games then he isn't a major improvement on Mayo's forwards either. Doc has improved immeasurably from the man he was and is a significant improvement for Mayo so to say Mayo haven't a forward-line to match Dublin in 2015 is nonsense.

Dean Rock not an IC forward? He has scored 2-19 in four championship games and 2-6 of those scores were from play. No a bad return for someone who is "not an IC forward".
It's far too harsh to say he's not an IC forward, as given a bit of space there's not many in the country more reliable at taking a score. But he's not going to win a 50/50 against a strong IC defender and he wouldnt be starting if he wasn't our freetaker. But also he's untested in starting a match at this level, so we'll only really know how good he can be or how weak he might be by 5pm this evening

Sorry, just saw your post Hound and you articulate what I'm trying to say though I would stand over my view that he isn't IC because there are a good few players who can kick a score given time but 'IC standard' players can do it when they aren't given time. More importantly, they can win ball and as you say Rock doesn't win 50/50 ball and he can't shake off defenders like the top players can. In saying that he'll probably kick 3-10 from play today and I'll spend my Sunday night trying to defend my earlier posts  :)

ONeill

All week I'd been thinking Mayo will take them. Wobbling now. Mayo have a lot of fires to fight before they can think about imposing their game. Their middle 8 will have their hands full.

Draw. Or Dublin by 1,3 or 5. Or Mayo by 2,4 or 6.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Teo Lurley

Dublin have far more invested in this and after last year they have to win this All Ireland. Dublin by 6.

Fuzzman

It feels like ages since the Dubs played doesn't it.
I've watched them a lot the last few years and they remind me of a water dam.
They build up a certain pressure and then once they get their inevitable first goal then BAM its the dam burssts and they blow teams away. A bit like Tyrone last week if Mayo can not allow them to get off to a good Start and especially not concede goals then they will have a chance.
Last year Dublin were kicking amazing points from 40 yards and all angles in the first half but then they lost that confidence and scores they usually could take with ease then seemed impossible.
This is where this game will be won and lost I reckon.
If Mayo play it as open as the Donegal game they will lose.
I think the Dubs will have learned a lot from last year's defeat but as usual will suffer from playing poor teams thus far. They didn't even get a tough quarterfinal game.
So... a winner?
Nope. A DRAW

Anyone selling any tickets? PM me

BennyHarp

Looking forward to this one. Mayo by 2
That was never a square ball!!

Mayo4Sam14

Apparently the word inside the Dublin camp is that Diarmuid Connolly will go in full forward
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

beer baron

Dubs by about 5,no doubt in my mind here. I'd be shocked to see Mayo win.

Captain Obvious

Hopefully this game lives up to its high expectations of a classic.