Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2018, 01:26:31 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 28, 2018, 01:12:51 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on November 28, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAounOTBYw

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.
Brexit means farmers out of a job, steroids in our beef, chlorine chickens, Ecoli in our lettuce and maggots in our fruit. Everyone happy now?

How do Americans survive?

Badly, especially the poor;

https://stateofobesity.org/data/

American food standards are a race to the bottom as the large lobby groups from these sectors wield far too much power.

Home come 1/3 of children in the UK are obese?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action

Lazy ass parents feeding their kids crap food.. and the fact that shit food is cheaper than actually making a dinner with natural ingredients .. But mainly lazy parents :)

So, poor food standards in the US is making people fat, but in the UK it's lazy parents.
So either way, Brexit or No Brexit we're getting fat?
If the US food is cheaper then shouldn't we be supporting Brexit if we're gonna get fat either way? At least we'll be richer. No?

Cant see a belly full of maggots making you fat but it might make you sick, why are you combining two different subjects. Its not really strengthening your case.

I'm not. Others are. Johnnycool and MR2 L think.
Look, I appreciate your point. I get it that American standards are lower. I understand it. I just think everyone is getting carried away on headlines of Chlorinated Chicken.
The UK hasn't left the EU yet. They haven't done any trade deals with any countries let alone the USA. Now, who knows, a future trade deal with the US may or may not involve chlorinated chicken or Ecoli lettuce coming into the UK or TB infected cattle, or pig meat with dioxins heading out to them but I think everyone should take a deep breath and dial down the sensationalist hyperbole just a tad.
Leaving aside your scepticism in relation to US food. The fact remains, with no back stop and a trade deal with the US on agricultural products or foodstuffs the EU will insist on a hard border in Ireland to protect their own food chain. In any event with the ending of free movement I can't see how the UK is going to stop people coming in to NI without deploying the border force and that will inevitably lead to disadent attacks.
It would lead to a hell of a lot more than just dissident attacks. There would be widespread anger at the introduction of any border infrastructure, which could lead to a lot more than just dissent support for attacks on it. Its why I have always thought that any such idea of a reintroduction of a hard border here, or even a softer one was a non runner from the get go.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on November 29, 2018, 01:31:36 PM
The EU have to say there's no other option but sure as shite a new deal will be found when the first goes down in flames in Parliament. Not a Brexiteers wet dream but enough to get eventually through Parliament.

There is nothing that will satisfy Brexiteers that include being a part of the customs union and the EU will not be compromising on that.

The Brexiteers need to maintain the pretence that their promised land of milk and honey has not been delivered. That way they can never be held accountable for any nosedive that the economy may take following any deal. It is probably why Mogg, Johnson, Davis et al never mustered enough support to overthrow May in order to try to negotiate their own vision of Brexit. They know that it is undeliverable.

Meanwhile the very event (Brexit) that was supposed to settle divisions in the Tory party once and for all looks to have created an even greater divide.   

yellowcard

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 29, 2018, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:55:07 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 28, 2018, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:31:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2018, 01:26:31 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 28, 2018, 01:12:51 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on November 28, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAounOTBYw

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.
Brexit means farmers out of a job, steroids in our beef, chlorine chickens, Ecoli in our lettuce and maggots in our fruit. Everyone happy now?

How do Americans survive?

Badly, especially the poor;

https://stateofobesity.org/data/

American food standards are a race to the bottom as the large lobby groups from these sectors wield far too much power.

Home come 1/3 of children in the UK are obese?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action

Lazy ass parents feeding their kids crap food.. and the fact that shit food is cheaper than actually making a dinner with natural ingredients .. But mainly lazy parents :)

So, poor food standards in the US is making people fat, but in the UK it's lazy parents.
So either way, Brexit or No Brexit we're getting fat?
If the US food is cheaper then shouldn't we be supporting Brexit if we're gonna get fat either way? At least we'll be richer. No?

Cant see a belly full of maggots making you fat but it might make you sick, why are you combining two different subjects. Its not really strengthening your case.

I'm not. Others are. Johnnycool and MR2 L think.
Look, I appreciate your point. I get it that American standards are lower. I understand it. I just think everyone is getting carried away on headlines of Chlorinated Chicken.
The UK hasn't left the EU yet. They haven't done any trade deals with any countries let alone the USA. Now, who knows, a future trade deal with the US may or may not involve chlorinated chicken or Ecoli lettuce coming into the UK or TB infected cattle, or pig meat with dioxins heading out to them but I think everyone should take a deep breath and dial down the sensationalist hyperbole just a tad.
Leaving aside your scepticism in relation to US food. The fact remains, with no back stop and a trade deal with the US on agricultural products or foodstuffs the EU will insist on a hard border in Ireland to protect their own food chain. In any event with the ending of free movement I can't see how the UK is going to stop people coming in to NI without deploying the border force and that will inevitably lead to disadent attacks.

Politicians in the UK simply do not understand the practilities of border life, they do not have to deal with it. A hard border would encourage a hive of smuggling criminality on a scale far beyond what currently exists, and that is before you even begin to talk about the dissident threat.

I believe some of the more pragmatic UK politicians have come to realise that after the Brexit vote. However there still exist the hard Brexiteer fantasists (plus DUP) who want a full Brexit at any price, they don't care one jot about what happens in the north.

RedHand88

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 29, 2018, 04:15:22 PM
I'm thinking of transferring my savings to a southern account, before sterling totally tanks. I take it this wouldn't be too difficult?

Currencyfair is good for this, it's the one I use.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 29, 2018, 05:24:14 PM
I'm thinking of transferring my savings to a southern account, before sterling totally tanks. I take it this wouldn't be too difficult?

Few boys down our way will give you great rates for cash...

OgraAnDun

Azimo gives you two free transfers at the start. Could save a decent sum if you're transferring a lot of cash in one (or two) go.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 29, 2018, 06:18:32 PM

Few boys down our way will give you great rates for cash...

You don't say...

johnnycool

Watched Question Time last night and it was dominated by Brexit talk and all that with one lad (think he was Boss of Wetherspoons) pushing hard for a no deal Brexit as a solution and not once was the border in NI mentioned as a sticking point.
The common garden variety Brit really doesn't have a clue about this place.

imtommygunn

Not sure if it was mentioned before here but on newsnight one night they had a debate on and one of the participants was a pastor who was from what I read pro May's deal(I didn't watch it). She was an actor lol. Some controversy now and newsnight say she was there as a pastor and not in an acting capacity but the BBC are taking some flak.

JC they haven't a clue nor do they care. I went to Andrew Maxwell in standup last year in Belfast and he was doing a few sketches on it as he lives in england and sees firsthand how little of a clue they have about here.

BennyCake

Tommy, you don't need Andrew Maxwell to tell you that. It's plainly obvious.

But this thing about somebody from Middle England voting for brexit. Didn't they think of the difficulties for the border region in Ireland? Why would they? It's not that they don't understand here, but someone in middle England are voting for themselves. I mean, would anyone here be thinking about the people Lancashire, Somerset, guernsey or the orkneys? Of course not. Everybody else means diddly squat. And the North means diddly squat to a middle, north, western, every type of Englander.

Applesisapples

What continues to take me to the fair is all the asians and africans backing brexit, to stop all the immigrants, and some of the Irish diaspora aren't to far behind. The irony is lost on them.

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 30, 2018, 10:13:52 AM
What continues to take me to the fair is all the asians and africans backing brexit, to stop all the immigrants, and some of the Irish diaspora aren't to far behind. The irony is lost on them.

Just like Trump building his walls and banning immigrants when his grandparents were German and his wife is Slovenian..

maddog

Quote from: johnnycool on November 30, 2018, 09:53:04 AM
Watched Question Time last night and it was dominated by Brexit talk and all that with one lad (think he was Boss of Wetherspoons) pushing hard for a no deal Brexit as a solution and not once was the border in NI mentioned as a sticking point.

Maybe he is thinking his pubs will be full after a no deal as no one will be able to afford to drink anywhere other than his chav filled kips

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: johnnycool on November 30, 2018, 10:28:13 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 30, 2018, 10:13:52 AM

Just like Trump building his walls and banning immigrants when his grandparents were German and his wife is Slovenian..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOvcEHi6LIo&feature=share
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: johnnycool on November 30, 2018, 09:53:04 AM

The guy is from Northern Ireland so should know better but is obviously of the flegger mentality