Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on June 14, 2016, 04:43:28 PM
Even DUP MPs have admitted to me privately that NI isn't on the radar at Westminster.

I suspect some of the more sane DUP people reckoned this was just a bit of harmless bigotry and that the Remain would win, and are now slightly apprehensive of getting what they asked for. 

QuoteI think the Brexit campaign will get the vote out and even French Police beating the crap out of their hooligans strengthens the case for the brain dead to vote out

With the vote next week they may be able to close the border and leave the hooligans there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 14, 2016, 04:14:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2016, 03:37:50 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 14, 2016, 10:20:16 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 14, 2016, 09:57:16 AM

Can someone explain to me why a northern nationalist would vote to remain?

I wouldn't profess to having researched this in any great detail but there are a few reasons I'd be voting to stay:

1) Look at the type of character that wants to leave. Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Rupert Murdoch, Donald Trump, Jim Allister, DUP cronies. This on its own is enough me to convince to stay.
2) Economically Westminster will have even less regard for the 6 counties than they already have if they have increased powers.
3) Potential for increased border controls

Constitutionally I'm not sure what the impact would be but I don't think anyone can predict this with any great certainty.

This line speaks volumes.

Voting on the basis of the character of a cause's supporters as opposed to the actual cause itself?

What these people represent is by and large totally at odds with my own views and hence that's why I dislike them in the first place.

seafoid

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 14, 2016, 04:33:07 PM
I frankly don't know what a Brexit will mean for me personally or for NI. I am not convinced by the benefits that the Leave campaign espouse. I suppose in the round I don't want to take the risk. I don't want to see border controls at Newry and Strabane. The most cogent argument I heard was from an economist who stated that the trade deal the British would get as a single economy with China, India etc... would not be as good as the EU. The Norwegian situation where they have to pay into the EU and adopt regulations to be able to trade whilst not having the say that Britain has as a major power has never been addressed by leave campaigners. I don't believe either that the UK treasury will merrily hand over the cash to farmers that the EU does.
regions will be neglected if brexit wins . Cornwall gets Euro funding that London would never fund
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Latest odds. 4/6 remain 5/4 leave.I'd expect the Leave camp to be odds on favourites shortly

Rossfan

Will you then start your " northernirish" party and agitate for independence Tony?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on June 14, 2016, 04:33:58 PM
Momentum with Brexit side.No one in England uses their brains when it comes to this election.Labour voters not enthused by agreeing with Cameron and Labour Party itself scared after damage done to it by supporting stay camp in Scottish referendum.Those who wish to vote out highly motivated unlike those who wish to stay.
there was a big surge for no in the scottish referendum in the last day
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Have polls not been wrong in the general, Scottish referendum and the European elections recently??

bennydorano

Until recently I was convinced of a comfortable Stay majority, but from speaking to a lot of people recently I've been very surprised at the animosity towards Turkey and the closer and nastier this vote gets the more (even more - to be accurate) the race / immigrants  issue will be front and centre. It's the Leave campaigns trump card and I would even reckon polls are underestimating  the strength of the Leave lead as people dont tell pollsters their racial prejudices but will vote accordingly in the privacy of a polling booth.

Corbyn really needs to get the finger out as well.  Worst leader ever of any political party.

muppet

Watching French police and Russian fans battering English fans might be having a negative effect on the very dim.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: yellowcard on June 14, 2016, 05:43:20 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 14, 2016, 04:14:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2016, 03:37:50 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 14, 2016, 10:20:16 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 14, 2016, 09:57:16 AM

Can someone explain to me why a northern nationalist would vote to remain?

I wouldn't profess to having researched this in any great detail but there are a few reasons I'd be voting to stay:

1) Look at the type of character that wants to leave. Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Rupert Murdoch, Donald Trump, Jim Allister, DUP cronies. This on its own is enough me to convince to stay.
2) Economically Westminster will have even less regard for the 6 counties than they already have if they have increased powers.
3) Potential for increased border controls

Constitutionally I'm not sure what the impact would be but I don't think anyone can predict this with any great certainty.

This line speaks volumes.

Voting on the basis of the character of a cause's supporters as opposed to the actual cause itself?

What these people represent is by and large totally at odds with my own views and hence that's why I dislike them in the first place.

Thats fine and well but then do you just become opposed to everything they stand for just because its them?

I actually think a similar criteria being used by alot of brexiters....

Cameron and Osborne "toffs who have no idea what its like for he ordinary man"
Blair "War monger"
Cobyrn "Communist"
Brown "Scotch twat"

I think the reason is because no one actually knows what will really happen...In says it will be terrible, Out says it will be crap. But no one really actually knows for sure, so people just vote on their gut and personalities.

omaghjoe

As a good example "in" says there will be financial turmoil from the uncertainty.

But then actually the ECB leaked this morning that they will shore up the markets on the Friday morning along with the BoE

armaghniac

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 14, 2016, 08:57:50 PM
As a good example "in" says there will be financial turmoil from the uncertainty.

But then actually the ECB leaked this morning that they will shore up the markets on the Friday morning along with the BoE

So what is the point here, there will be problems but the authorities won't ignore them but will try and do something?

In related news a lot of people will be shot in America, but the authorities will improve the ambulance service so they don't all die.

bennydorano

The big problem is that there could be years of financial uncertainty for mortgages, investment, sterling, credit ratings, guaranteed recession. The immediate aftermath shouldn't be anything uncontainable.

Peoples biggest fear should be what the Tories unfettered by EU Regulations are capable of doing. Labour are probably a decade away from being electable again with their brightest prospect tied up in London for the forseeable future as well.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on June 14, 2016, 09:24:30 PM
The big problem is that there could be years of financial uncertainty for mortgages, investment, sterling, credit ratings, guaranteed recession. The immediate aftermath shouldn't be anything uncontainable.

It wouldn't necessarily be "big" stuff, just companies postponing an investment, delaying taking on staff, hesitating about the new office... All adding up to a slowdown until the dust clears.