Started by AZOffaly, June 03, 2010, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question

Yes
No

AZOffaly

Quote from: David McKeown on September 18, 2014, 10:43:54 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2014, 10:38:32 AM
The Cardinals deactivated Jonathan Dwyer a couple of hours later. Proper order. This is ridiculous. This weekend you have Ray Rice, Adrian Petersen, Greg Hardy and now Jonathan Dwyer suspended for off field violence. I think the NFL is taking a serious pasting on this, and it's because they fannied around with Ray Rice and Petersen first off.

They were entirely right to faff around with Peterson. Dwyer should be in the same boat, neither man has been convicted of anything yet and it's not for the NFL to play the role of jury before all the evidence comes out. If they are convicted by all means throw the book at them but until then all men should be presumed innocent.

Sorry David, but if you were accused of something like this, there's a fair chance you'd be on Gardening Leave. That's what should have happened here.

David McKeown

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2014, 11:01:25 AM
The Cardinals deactivated Jonathan Dwyer a couple of hours later. Proper order. This is ridiculous. This weekend you have Ray Rice, Adrian Petersen, Greg Hardy and now Jonathan Dwyer suspended for off field violence. I think the NFL is taking a serious pasting on this, and it's because they fannied around with Ray Rice and Petersen first off.

They were entirely right to faff around with Peterson. Dwyer should be in the same boat, neither man has been convicted of anything yet and it's not for the NFL to play the role of jury before all the evidence comes out. If they are convicted by all means throw the book at them but until then all men should be presumed innocent.

Sorry David, but if you were accused of something like this, there's a fair chance you'd be on Gardening Leave. That's what should have happened here.

So they aren't entitled to a presumption of innocence? Rice is a different situation but for me anyone only suspected of an offence should receive proper due process. Suspending an athlete is different to placing an employee on gardening leave too because of the the usually comparatively short careers.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

They are on full pay. They can be presumed innocent, and that's why they are being paid, and not outright cut. (Like Ray Rice).

Of course there's an element now of the NFL trying, vainly, to recover lost ground after the debacle of Ray Rice. They made a balls of that one, and claiming the video was new evidence that warranted going from a 2 game suspension to an indefinite ban and a loss of his job in about a week was an absolute joke.

In my job, if I was arrested and charged with beating my wife, or abusing my child, I would expect to be on Gardening Leave. These guys are representing their 'companies' as well, and in full view of millions of people. You have to take them out of that situation, on full pay, until it is resolved in some fashion.

DUIs, or DWIs, are different, but major felony charges like this, or murder or anything like that, and you can't have them playing away as if nothing was wrong.

David McKeown

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2014, 11:23:39 AM
They are on full pay. They can be presumed innocent, and that's why they are being paid, and not outright cut. (Like Ray Rice).

Of course there's an element now of the NFL trying, vainly, to recover lost ground after the debacle of Ray Rice. They made a balls of that one, and claiming the video was new evidence that warranted going from a 2 game suspension to an indefinite ban and a loss of his job in about a week was an absolute joke.

In my job, if I was arrested and charged with beating my wife, or abusing my child, I would expect to be on Gardening Leave. These guys are representing their 'companies' as well, and in full view of millions of people. You have to take them out of that situation, on full pay, until it is resolved in some fashion.

DUIs, or DWIs, are different, but major felony charges like this, or murder or anything like that, and you can't have them playing away as if nothing was wrong.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Taking Peterson for example his trial is unlikely to conclude this season so he's likely not to play for the whole season which will equate to about 10% of his career or about 20% of his prime. That's a massive time to miss if he's acquitted. It's not the same as gardening leave.

Also I can't understand the distinction with DUI's etc. I mean where do you draw the line which side of the line would for example,theft or  tax evasion or careless driving cause GBI come on the line?  To me that's a double standard.

As I say if he's guilty by all means throw the book at him but not until then

AZOffaly

It's perception David. A felony assault on a woman or a child is one of those egregious crimes that many people would put at the high end of the felony scales. It may be a double standard, I wouldn't argue that point, but if someone is arrested for assaulting their spouse/partner or child, I don't want him on my team.

David McKeown

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2014, 01:59:59 PM
It's perception David. A felony assault on a woman or a child is one of those egregious crimes that many people would put at the high end of the felony scales. It may be a double standard, I wouldn't argue that point, but if someone is arrested for assaulting their spouse/partner or child, I don't want him on my team.

I can understand that point of view but for me until all the evidence is tested I feel anyone accused of an offence should be entitled to remain on the team and compete.

On the plus side none of these players are on my team for tonight

AZOffaly

OK, back to Football. This week's slate of games...

Thursday September 18th (1.25 am Friday September 19th Irish Time)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-2) @ Atlanta Falcons (1-1) Sky Sports 2

Sunday September 21st 6pm Irish Time

San Diego Chargers (1-1) @ Buffalo Bills (2-0)
Dallas Cowboys (1-1) @ Saint Louis Rams (1-1)
Washington Redskins (1-1) @ Philadelphia Eagles (2-0)
Houston Texans (2-0) @ New York Giants (0-2)
Minnesota Vikings (1-1) @ New Orleans Saints (0-2)
Tennessee Titans (1-1) @ Cincinnati Bengals (2-0)
Baltimore Ravens (1-1) @ Cleveland Browns (1-1)
Green Bay Packers (1-1) @ Detroit Lions (1-1)  Sky Sports 2
Indianapolis Colts (0-2) @ Jacksonville Jaguars (0-2)
Oakland Raiders (0-2) @ New England Patriots (1-1)

Sunday 21st September 9.05 pm Irish Time
San Francisco 49ers(1-1) @ Arizona Cardinals (2-0)

Sunday 21st September 9.25 pm Irish Time
Denver Broncos (2-0) @ Seattle Seahawks  (1-1) Sky Sports 2

Sunday 21st September (1.30am Monday 22nd September)
Pittsburgh Steelers (1-1)  @ Carolina Panthers (2-0) Setanta Ireland and Channel 4

Monday 22nd September (1.30am Tuesday 23nd September)
Chicago Bears (1-1)  @ New York Jets (1-1) Setanta Ireland and Eurosport 2

Some doozies there. The Buccs were tipped by a few people to be dark horses, but have started 0-2. They're away to a division rival in Atlanta, and if they go 0-3 it's going to be hard to come back from that. Likewise the Giants, at home with their 0-2 record against the 2-0 Houston Texans and JJ Watt. The Pack and Lions meet in a huge NFC North Game, where all 4 teams are locked at 1-1, but with the Vikings losing Peterson, you'd think this is a 3 horse race with the Bears as well. The Lions will want to hold serve. The Colts are 0-2 as well, and can't afford a slip up away to the hapless Jaguars, while the Saints are also 0-2 and hosting the aforementioned Vikings.  Serious pressure on those teams. In Arizona, the 49ers will try and make a statement to the Cardinals and catch them at 2-1, while up in Seattle on Sunday there's a repeat of the Superbowl as the 2-0 Broncos go and try and take on the Seahawks.  Some great games on the slate, and some season defining ones possibly, even at this stage.

AZOffaly

OK, onto our fixtures.

Joe Montana Superbowl

Faithful Turfmen 'B' (2-0) vs Ruthless Rossies (0-2)
Smackdown Clowns (0-2) vs Ballyhaise Bills (1-1)
Coolera Bears (1-1) vs Oraisteach's Browns (1-1)
hegan's clowns (0-2) vs Savage Bears (2-0)
New York Jets VIII (1-1) vs Colm O Mealoid (2-0)

Walter Payton B Championship
Faithful Turfmen (2-0) vs Galway Bay Tribesmen (2-0)
Red Hand Helmets (1-1) vs Big Apple Orchards (0-2)
Bear You To Shreds (0-2) vs Rehab is 4 Quitters (2-0)
Crossmaglen Hitmen (1-1) vs Gary ONeill's Team (0-2)
L'Esprit de Biff (1-1) vs M$S Someday (1-1)

Jerry Rice C Championship
Faithful Turfmen 'C' (1-1) vs Sean's Team (2-0)
Antrim89 (1-1) vs Ronan's Team (1-1)
FermanaghandSam (1-1) vs Oakleaf Dolphins (2-0)
Troy PolaMAYO (2-0) vs David's Superb Team (2-0)
UShane's Bolts (0-2) vs Geezers49ers (0-2)
Insane Clowney Posse (0-2) vs Mayo Monsters (0-2)

gallsman

Disagree with this completely. There was a great article on Grantland a few weeks ago that had a great point in it - the NFL, like many other sports, has a code of conduct that players have to sign up to. "Not getting arrested for domestic violence is a pretty low bar to set" was a specific line from it. Don't think it's too much to ask.

AZOffaly

Just to counter balance a little bit, there are an awful lot of genuine good lads in the NFL as well. People like Larry Fitzgerald, Drew Brees and a lot of others do an awful lot of good with their profile. My favourite might just be JJ Watt, the Texans DL. He seems to be a very down to earth good guy. See this, and especially the first story, which would put a lump in your throat.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1521740-why-jj-watt-should-be-your-favorite-nfl-player

Edit, the video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSfkq7cXlj0&feature=player_embedded

oakleaflad

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2014, 02:33:19 PM
OK, back to Football. This week's slate of games...

Thursday September 18th (1.25 am Friday September 19th Irish Time)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-2) @ Atlanta Falcons (1-1) Sky Sports 2

Sunday September 21st 6pm Irish Time

San Diego Chargers (1-1) @ Buffalo Bills (2-0)
Dallas Cowboys (1-1) @ Saint Louis Rams (1-1)
Washington Redskins (1-1) @ Philadelphia Eagles (2-0)
Houston Texans (2-0) @ New York Giants (0-2)
Minnesota Vikings (1-1) @ New Orleans Saints (0-2)
Tennessee Titans (1-1) @ Cincinnati Bengals (2-0)
Baltimore Ravens (1-1) @ Cleveland Browns (1-1)
Green Bay Packers (1-1) @ Detroit Lions (1-1)  Sky Sports 2
Indianapolis Colts (0-2) @ Jacksonville Jaguars (0-2)
Oakland Raiders (0-2) @ New England Patriots (1-1)

Sunday 21st September 9.05 pm Irish Time
San Francisco 49ers(1-1) @ Arizona Cardinals (2-0)

Sunday 21st September 9.25 pm Irish Time
Denver Broncos (2-0) @ Seattle Seahawks  (1-1) Sky Sports 2

Sunday 21st September (1.30am Monday 22nd September)
Pittsburgh Steelers (1-1)  @ Carolina Panthers (2-0) Setanta Ireland and Channel 4

Monday 22nd September (1.30am Tuesday 23nd September)
Chicago Bears (1-1)  @ New York Jets (1-1) Setanta Ireland and Eurosport 2

Some doozies there. The Buccs were tipped by a few people to be dark horses, but have started 0-2. They're away to a division rival in Atlanta, and if they go 0-3 it's going to be hard to come back from that. Likewise the Giants, at home with their 0-2 record against the 2-0 Houston Texans and JJ Watt. The Pack and Lions meet in a huge NFC North Game, where all 4 teams are locked at 1-1, but with the Vikings losing Peterson, you'd think this is a 3 horse race with the Bears as well. The Lions will want to hold serve. The Colts are 0-2 as well, and can't afford a slip up away to the hapless Jaguars, while the Saints are also 0-2 and hosting the aforementioned Vikings.  Serious pressure on those teams. In Arizona, the 49ers will try and make a statement to the Cardinals and catch them at 2-1, while up in Seattle on Sunday there's a repeat of the Superbowl as the 2-0 Broncos go and try and take on the Seahawks.  Some great games on the slate, and some season defining ones possibly, even at this stage.
The dolphins and the chiefs play this weekend too ;)

AZOffaly

Correct! Chiefs @ Dolphins is also on Sunday night at 9.25 our time. Good catch! :)

David McKeown

Quote from: gallsman on September 18, 2014, 03:12:38 PM

Disagree with this completely. There was a great article on Grantland a few weeks ago that had a great point in it - the NFL, like many other sports, has a code of conduct that players have to sign up to. "Not getting arrested for domestic violence is a pretty low bar to set" was a specific line from it. Don't think it's too much to ask.

How do you control not getting arrested?  Not saying that any of the recent arrests were unwarranted but imagine a position where a jilted ex-lover makes a sexual assault or domestic assault claim.  Should you be suspended in such a situation with no recourse should you ultimately be acquitted?

AZOffaly

The police generally have probably cause at least before arresting someone. A complaint is not the same as an arrest. These guys have all been arrested.

The Iceman

The brand needs to be protected and the NFL are doing just that. The UFC have fired fighters for not revealing a domestic violence record. They have fired fighters who have been arrested on suspicion of domestic violence. Its all about the brand.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight