Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Just looking at the prices of some of the wheels ye are talking about  :o and here's me debating with myself would it be madness spending  €275 on a pair of Nike Next%  and you guys are spending thousands of Euro on bikes and wheels. Fair play though I wouldn't begrudge anyone if that's what they want to spend their money on.
Thank God I decided to be a very slow runner than a very slow cyclist  at least it won't cost me as much  ;D
The Nike Next% seem cheap now in comparison, think I'll buy them after all!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

maddog

Just in from a 40 mile ride (plenty for me), lockdown is over around Birmingham, roads seem busy enough. Crossed over m40 and m42 a couple of times and looks like normal motorway traffic. It's hot out there and fully needed 2 litres of fluid. In the little villages we pass through there are some olde worlde little pubs that would be so tempting a day like that. Maybe as well they are closed.

grounded

Quote from: majestic on May 29, 2020, 02:47:47 PM
Quote from: maddog on May 29, 2020, 02:35:48 PM
Quote from: majestic on May 29, 2020, 02:33:17 PM
Just pulled the road bike outta the garage for the first time in 18months. Front break lever has absolutely no tension. Do we think its just the cables or would the fluid have leaked?

Hydraulic brake. Try pumping it repeatedly. That happens on my mountain bike if not used for a bit.

Just tried, nothing happening. Noticed it was moving the pads slightly, and poked about about there was a yellowish fluid, I'm assuming that is not good news.

No, does not sound good. Out of interest was the bike stored with the front wheel in the air?

illdecide

Quote from: laoislad on May 30, 2020, 09:20:46 AM
Just looking at the prices of some of the wheels ye are talking about  :o and here's me debating with myself would it be madness spending  €275 on a pair of Nike Next%  and you guys are spending thousands of Euro on bikes and wheels. Fair play though I wouldn't begrudge anyone if that's what they want to spend their money on.
Thank God I decided to be a very slow runner than a very slow cyclist  at least it won't cost me as much  ;D

Laoislad don't think of the speed think of the knee's and ankles etc. That running criac is no good for ya...in all seriousness get good trainers for running, you'll pay for it in the long run if you don't.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

majestic

Quote from: grounded on May 30, 2020, 07:43:54 PM
Quote from: majestic on May 29, 2020, 02:47:47 PM
Quote from: maddog on May 29, 2020, 02:35:48 PM
Quote from: majestic on May 29, 2020, 02:33:17 PM
Just pulled the road bike outta the garage for the first time in 18months. Front break lever has absolutely no tension. Do we think its just the cables or would the fluid have leaked?

Hydraulic brake. Try pumping it repeatedly. That happens on my mountain bike if not used for a bit.

Just tried, nothing happening. Noticed it was moving the pads slightly, and poked about about there was a yellowish fluid, I'm assuming that is not good news.

No, does not sound good. Out of interest was the bike stored with the front wheel in the air?

No - just on the ground - I got a guy on to service it (mobile mechanic) he done the needful, but took it out for a spin the next day and the disc was covered in the fluid and massive squealing from it. Going into my normal mechanic next week - will probably need a new caliper.

redzone

Quote from: illdecide on May 31, 2020, 05:45:00 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 30, 2020, 09:20:46 AM

Laoislad don't think of the speed think of the knee's and ankles etc. That running criac is no good for ya...in all seriousness get good trainers for running, you'll pay for it in the long run if you don't.
Is there any evidence to support this claim, serious question. What passes for good trainers

illdecide

Well there are trainers specifically for running which are expensive...I've seen guys out jogging in flat trainer/shoe type and that's only going to end one way. I suppose it's about cushioning etc for the constant impact but i'm not a runner so i'm only guessing.

Orior

Out on the bike yesterday, and on one steep downhill I reached 43 mph. Don't think i want to do that too often.

What's the highest speed you have reached?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

I'm a pretty poor descender, always err on the side of caution, been at 55mph (ish) a few times tho. Favourite descent is coming off the Birren Rd heading Dungiven direction, there's a really fast descent coming back of  Slieve Croob, Finnis Rd I think, far side of Slieve Maan in Wicklow is really steep too, scary hurtling down that one.

grounded

A few times around 50mph coming off spelga.
     I did have a close call once, when i experienced a speed wobble, this was such a terrifying experience that i have  rarely if ever approached those speeds since.

This was something similar to what happened to me.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DVfngbsIUSj8&ved=2ahUKEwi-4YmAzuHpAhVNilwKHci6DgIQwqsBMAJ6BAgBEAk&usg=AOvVaw0IHbuW5zXHcvBMhLb3vyFd

JimStynes

Been in the 50mphs before and won't do it again. It's not worth it. Leave it to the pros who are getting paid to go downhill at crazy speeds.

maddog

I like when you come out of Glassagh in Donegal, where that Teac Jacks place is. Head up the climb past Bloody foreland and then you drop down the other side and onto into Magheraroarty. Not particularly high but the descent is nice, great views out to Tory Island. Just watch for the sheep on the road. Would love to do some of the alpine ones but getting up them first might be an issue.

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on June 01, 2020, 10:23:55 PM
I'm a pretty poor descender, always err on the side of caution, been at 55mph (ish) a few times tho. Favourite descent is coming off the Birren Rd heading Dungiven direction, there's a really fast descent coming back of  Slieve Croob, Finnis Rd I think, far side of Slieve Maan in Wicklow is really steep too, scary hurtling down that one.

I've never had one but was riding on my mates back wheel when a cross wind hit him from a gap in the high hedge which forced him into a speed wobble, we were descending the hill at Rathfrisland heading for Bandbridge and half way down the hill the speed wobble got that bad it threw him off the bike. Was terrible to watch and to be fair would soon put manners in ya, he got terrible injuries from it and I hope i never see nor get a speed wobble again...I did descend the famous Tourmalet in France and crazy speeds probably around 50mph but looking back now it's crazy TBH...

bennydorano

All depends how technical they are, considering the height of Teide in Tenerife, if you come down it heading Chio direction it is pretty tame & dull tbh, the most commonly travelled route up Teide to &  from Los Cristanos is a good descent.

Eamonnca1

We're looking at getting a cargo bike for carrying the kiddo and groceries around.

So far the frontrunner is the Urban Arrow Family.

We had looked at the Yuba Supermarché but we have our doubts about the build quality and it doesn't seem to be available with electric assist.

We expect to spend over $5,000 on this, so it's a not insignificant decision, but it's still cheaper than getting a second car. (We used to have two cars but decided to cut it down to one to see how it goes since we're heavy users of bikes, buses and trains. So far it hasn't been a problem. There was only once or twice in the last few years when we both needed a car at the same time, and in those cases we just used Lyft.)

It'll be interesting to see the effect of the bucket bike on our car usage, we might be able to cut that down even further if we can get our groceries by bike. We're already taking the little one to and from daycare by bike using a handlebar-mounted baby seat, but she'll outgrow that soon enough, and it's not so easy to use.