Would you manage a county other than your own?

Started by Caid, October 03, 2009, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you manage a county other than your own?

Yes - any county
8 (17.8%)
Yes - but not a "rival"
19 (42.2%)
Not sure
0 (0%)
No way
12 (26.7%)
If the money was right
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Caid

With POR abdicating from Down to Armagh, Big Joe going to Galway, Geezer going to Kildare, Mulgrew having been at Fermanagh, Micko managing everyone etc it seems that the intercounty manager of the 21st Century is driven by different motivations than many club and intercounty players - who play for their gra for their club or county.

This is not a new phenomenon really and the growth in "outside" managers has been on the rise for numerous years - even at club level. 

What is the reason for this?  Some combination of a love for the GAA and a need to be involved; money; or a desire to prove yourself at the top level even though your own county job is not available to you?

As a Fermanagh man I will always support the team regardless of who the manager is.  But having lived through the tenure of Ferguson, Maughan and Mulgrew I have seen at first hand that supporters are quicker to turn on managers that are not "one of their own" which can ultimately make it harder for an outside manager from the outset. 

Good luck to Paddy O'Rourke
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Zulu

Voted yes for any county, as unfortunately we don't really have any rivals as most teams beat us most of the time, it would be a bit different at club level though. We have such a small pool of real quality coaches/managers within the country so I like to see this expertise being spread around if possible.

stew

Voted yes but not a rival. I could not stomach being on the Down sideline if they were playing Armagh.

i fancy a dig at the Noo York job, that'd do me. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Bord na Mona man

If I was to manage someone, I'd definitely manage one of our rivals  ;)

Shamrock Shore

Longford wouldn't have me. Believe me, I've tried. Sent in the cv numerous times.

Once Tom Carr 'leaves' Cavan I'll drop them a line, see what happens!

Wouldn't waste a stamp on Westmeath.

armaghniac

Any of the Armagh or Down managers could probably manage Louth without controversy, different province, different aspirations, yet nearby for travel.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2009, 01:32:17 AM
Any of the Armagh or Down managers could probably manage Louth without controversy, different province, different aspirations, yet nearby for travel.

But will it be Pete McGrath or Donal Murtagh?!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

SLIGONIAN

No way and yee can hold me that. ;)

I dont think its the worst thing in the world but I just couldnt play or manage against Sligo. Too much guilt there and just wouldnt feel right.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 04, 2009, 12:28:10 AM
Longford wouldn't have me. Believe me, I've tried. Sent in the cv numerous times.

Once Tom Carr 'leaves' Cavan I'll drop them a line, see what happens!

Wouldn't waste a stamp on Westmeath.

You'd like to manage Cavan? Are you a masochist?

INDIANA

Absolutely - I think this idea you can't manage another county is bullshit. Dublin constantly won't appoint an outsider and its holding us back.

I suppose I wouldn't manage Meath because they wouldn't have a Dub ;D. Manage anyone else though. Can't see a queue at me door somehow!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 04, 2009, 08:22:45 AM

I dont think its the worst thing in the world but I just couldnt play or manage against Sligo. Too much guilt there and just wouldnt feel right.

At least we can agree on something Sligonian. Just put in Mayo where you put in Sligo!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 04, 2009, 10:42:49 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 04, 2009, 08:22:45 AM

At least we can agree on something Sligonian. Just put in Mayo where you put in Sligo!

Respect. ;)

Also at least you know in the likely event mayo came calling to me I would have to turn ye down. :D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

blanketattack

Worst case scenario must have been Eamonn Cregan's, when he managed Offaly to victory over Limerick in the All-Ireland final which Limerick haven't won since '73 when Cregan was on the team.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Roscommon, I actually have a soft spot for them except when they start the Ballagh shite. Part Sheepstealer myself so have a connection in a way.

Wexford, Leitrim, Clare & Cavan I have a liking for too, so I wouldn't mind any of them.

I think I would puke for a week if I led Galway to beat Mayo in any game, or any team to beat Mayo in an All-Ireland Final.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.