Down minor team hit by Swine flu

Started by Caid, July 24, 2009, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8167653.stm

GAA team hit by swine flu fears 

Down's minor gaelic football squad are feared to have been hit by the swine flu pandemic after a number of the players developed symptoms this week.

The Down County GAA Board has said that players have been advised to follow National Health Service guidelines.

A Down GAA statement added that the situation "is being monitored closely".

Down were narrowly beaten by Armagh in last weekend's Ulster Minor Final but they are still involved in the All-Ireland Championship

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

armaghniac

I thought that only affected Mexicans? (coat on)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pintsofguinness

I'd say it's bullshit.

Over here at the minute everyone seems to have come down with "swine flu". 
In reality they've a f**king cold.

If you ring the doctors here with flu like symptoms they tell you you have swine flu and dont let you leave the house.  It's a cold!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

goldenyears

orangeman

This could threaten the entire championship ????

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 24, 2009, 07:19:16 PM
I'd say it's bullshit.

If you ring the doctors here with flu like symptoms they tell you you have swine flu and dont let you leave the house.  It's a cold!

Wonder which hospital or GP practice you work in as you seem to be very well informed.
Or perhaps you are just talking sh1t.
There are at least 10 confirmed cases within 15 miles of you.
But sure you knew that already.

johnpower

Well if you think of the impact foot and mouth had on some fixtures what would happen if there was a big out break ? I could see gatherings of large numbers of people been banned ,

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: johnpower on July 24, 2009, 10:06:09 PM
Well if you think of the impact foot and mouth had on some fixtures what would happen if there was a big out break ? I could see gatherings of large numbers of people been banned ,

Kerry would be safe enough then.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on July 24, 2009, 09:57:21 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 24, 2009, 07:19:16 PM
I'd say it's bullshit.

Wonder which hospital or GP practice you work in as you seem to be very well informed.
Or perhaps you are just talking sh1t.
There are at least 10 confirmed cases within 15 miles of you.
But sure you knew that already.

Well you dont know where I am so I'd be surprised if you knew there were 10 confirmed cases.

If you read the article all it says is one player had symptoms, same symptoms as a cold.  I know of several people, including one boy I work with, who have phoned the doctors told them they had flu like symptoms and they were treated for swine flu!  There isn't a bother on any of these people now, fantastic recoveries made by each one in about a week! Anyone would think they just had a flu/cold!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

johnpower

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 24, 2009, 10:10:17 PM
Quote from: johnpower on July 24, 2009, 10:06:09 PM

Kerry would be safe enough then.

Well spotted my excuses starting already .Hoping they can cancel this years championship on the basis if we cannot win it then nobody else should .

On a serious note some very sick kids in some hospitals and my missus wont let me take the kids on Sunday as the word is that kids are particularly venerable

Superstar

Doubt its a case of the cold, according to the news on radio ulster, 20 members of the squad have come down with something
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

johnpower

Quote from: Superstar on July 24, 2009, 10:49:24 PM
Doubt its a case of the cold, according to the news on radio ulster, 20 members of the squad have come down with something

When are they out again ? the Meath team have some bug as well , This bloody weather is the cause of a lot of colds and flu s

armaghniac

In the Down case I expect that the team doctor was involved, so it is more likely to be a proper diagnosis. A cold is not the same as flu'.

There is some chance of interruption to the championship, I suppose. I reckon when the schools come back that the plague will then go around everyone. It may not gain traction before then.

The younger half of the population are more vulnerable as they haven't had as many different doses over the years, the were second cousins of this dose knocking around in 68 and 76-77 and people who had that may have a better ability to resist this one.

Perhaps they should only allow over 45s to the All Ireland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnpower

Quote from: armaghniac on July 24, 2009, 10:59:33 PM
In the Down case I expect that the team doctor was involved, so it is more likely to be a proper diagnosis. A cold is not the same as flu'.

There is some chance of interruption to the championship, I suppose. I reckon when the schools come back that the plague will then go around everyone. It may not gain traction before then.

The younger half of the population are more vulnerable as they haven't had as many different doses over the years, the were second cousins of this dose knocking around in 68 and 76-77 and people who had that may have a better ability to resist this one.

Perhaps they should only allow over 45s to the All Ireland.

Good idea these young lads and lassies know nothing and only clog up the place .