Qualifier Round 1 - Fear Manach v Cill Mhantáin

Started by Caid, June 21, 2009, 06:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caid

Question: What do Antrim, Cavan, Down, Fermanagh and Leitrim have in common?

Answer: They are the only counties (other than Kilkenny who don't compete) that Mick O'Dwyer hasn't managed against in the All-Ireland senior football championship.

Extend it to playing/managing and Cavan and Down can be deleted from the list as he played against both in the 1960s. Stretch it further to the Tommy Murphy Cup championship and Antrim and Leitrim drop off as Wicklow played both in the last two years.

That leaves Fermanagh as the only county whom O'Dwyer hasn't played or plotted against at some stage of the many magical summer odysseys he has undertaken in his 52-year involvement with senior football.
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

drici

Unusual for Mick O'Dwyer to give away home advantage to Fermanagh like that.
Must be confident.

FermPundit

Travel plans to Aughrim have already started. Long enough drive, so I don't think we'll bring that many supporters down. I would have preferred home advantage, but hopefully we should be good enough to beat Wicklow. They didn't good last week against Westmeath, but I suppose we looked poor against Cavan as well.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Caid

AI odds
Fermanagh 125-1
Wicklow 1000-1

Games Fermanagh have been favourite in in last two years of the Championship
2009 - Cavan (lost)
2008 - Kildare (lost)
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

Caid, do you think this will be a Saturday evening or a Sunday game?

Caid

In 2007 six of the eight first round games were on Saturday evening (Ferm v Wexford and Armagh v Derry on Sunday)

In 2008 all eight games were on a Saturday evening

Not much chance of Wicklow v Fermanagh making TV!

Conclusion

Aughrim men may lock up their daughters - FermPundit and co will be on the pull on Saturday night after the match!

FermPundit

Quote from: Caid on June 21, 2009, 06:58:33 PM
In 2007 six of the eight first round games were on Saturday evening (Ferm v Wexford and Armagh v Derry on Sunday)

In 2008 all eight games were on a Saturday evening

Not much chance of Wicklow v Fermanagh making TV!

Conclusion

Aughrim men may lock up their daughters - FermPundit and co will be on the pull on Saturday night after the match!

Aughrim only has a population of 1000, so I'm not sure how good the night life would be.

ExiledGael

1,000? That's about the size of Tamlaght!
Dublin it is then for the night.

Caid

It wouldnt be far to travel to Wicklow Town or Arklow.

You should hit Johnny Foxes for a pint too.  

Wicklow Mountains in July would be hard to bate

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Caid on June 21, 2009, 06:28:38 PM
Question: What do Antrim, Cavan, Down, Fermanagh and Leitrim have in common?

Answer: They are the only counties (other than Kilkenny who don't compete) that Mick O'Dwyer hasn't managed against in the All-Ireland senior football championship.

Extend it to playing/managing and Cavan and Down can be deleted from the list as he played against both in the 1960s. Stretch it further to the Tommy Murphy Cup championship and Antrim and Leitrim drop off as Wicklow played both in the last two years.

That leaves Fermanagh as the only county whom O'Dwyer hasn't played or plotted against at some stage of the many magical summer odysseys he has undertaken in his 52-year involvement with senior football.

Your a mighty man for the statistics Caid, but they didn't do you much use the last day out ;). Anyway, I think if Fermanagh can get over the defeat and get working again they will beat wicklow as they just have a total lack of skillfull players and Fermanagh have plenty. Even the celebrated Nathan Glynn isn't up to much in my opinion.

Caid

Na sure I stole that article from the Irish Times or some similar rag - was in the paper there a few weeks ago.

Leighton Glynn can't be that celebrated or you wouldn't be calling him Nathan!

I'm still refusing to comment on the Breffni debacle

ExiledGael

Quote from: Caid on June 21, 2009, 07:15:18 PM

:D

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Caid on June 21, 2009, 07:15:18 PM
Na sure I stole that article from the Irish Times or some similar rag - was in the paper there a few weeks ago.

I'm still refusing to comment on the Breffni debacle

I was sure it was Nathan, sure I bet his mam calls him Nathan. I remember Micko brought Wicklow to Breffni on one of his 1st games. They brought a big crowd with them which was a shock for me. All the talk in the media was this attacking half back Leighton Glynn. Sure he looked mighty carrying the ball forward but at the end of the day a 20 yr old Ray Cullivan had scored 4/5 points on him. Just thought a lot of hype about nothing. Watched them against Westmeath too and they looked fairly clueless although they have 2 big men in the middle that can win primary possesion.

I know how you feel about these soar defeats. I still havn't watched the 97 all ireland final video I recorded, couldn't relive the pain.

FermPundit

So its a 7pm start in Aughrim on the Saturday evening. I think most Fermanagh fans will be happy with the throw in time.

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on June 22, 2009, 07:52:44 PM
So its a 7pm start in Aughrim on the Saturday evening. I think most Fermanagh fans will be happy with the throw in time.

I'd love to be getting a road trip down to Wicklow but unfortunately football commitments this side of the water means it'll be no more than listening to it on the wireless for me. Hopefully we'll get a good result and kick on from here. Sure we love the Qualifiers!
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth