The GPA

Started by heganboy, November 14, 2012, 01:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

I think I'll take this hook out now. Not worth re-baiting. No good rows on the board try as one might to start one !!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Rossfan

Is it not time all jersey sponsorship was pooled and divided between the 32 Counties either equally or in ratio to the membership or number of clubs?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Rossfan on November 29, 2012, 04:58:02 PM
Is it not time all jersey sponsorship was pooled and divided between the 32 Counties either equally or in ratio to the membership or number of clubs?

I dont think that would work, farmers, sheep, grants and head counts would come into play. You are on the right track though, if all the sponsorship was pooled and sent to each county board with each county getting equal sized biscuit boxes full of cash with a condition that it only be spent on the promotion of hurling might be an idea.  I wouldn't give anything to London or New York at all though, or Cork for that matter.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

You have some counties who don't even have sponsorship officers, make effectively zero effort at fundraising yet they're, paying managers and players  and thencomplaining about counties with excellent volunteer structures - why don't they go out and make and effort to sort their structures and fundraising?

Bud Wiser

Because a lot of these counties are run by poor ould mullackers at club level who do exactly that,  they raise the few bob they can, give it to the county board and then when Mammy is not looking they, who have received this money to assist the players training schedule either dip their hands in the bisciuit tin or run away with the box. Failing that they will hand it to some cute hoor to upgrade his pub or hotel in the far end of Kerry.

Dublin i agree run a tight ship, they always ensured that their county team have had a solicitor or an accountant selected - on the team !!   Indeed in one period they had a solicitor, an accountant and a stockbroker along with a doctor to put the pieces back together of whoever was  caught with their hand in the kitty. Thats why the Dublin captain can raise Sam and say " see yiz all in Coppers" while down in O'Moore Park for example you might hear "has annyone got a few coppers"  or in Waterford or a few other counties "it's time to call the coppers".

Could you just imagine if  small counties like Laois were awarded Six Million sponsorship in the morning! Their old traditional ways of a pint or two in Treacys of the Heath to contemplate the chances of "pulling it off this year" could tempt a chairman and the forty people on the hurling and foot/handball comittees to transform into Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves overnight.  This is why we need the GPA to see that money is not wasted.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 30, 2012, 03:56:07 AM
Because a lot of these counties are run by poor ould mullackers at club level who do exactly that,  they raise the few bob they can, give it to the county board and then when Mammy is not looking they, who have received this money to assist the players training schedule either dip their hands in the bisciuit tin or run away with the box. Failing that they will hand it to some cute hoor to upgrade his pub or hotel in the far end of Kerry.

Could you just imagine if  small counties like Laois were awarded Six Million sponsorship in the morning! Their old traditional ways of a pint or two in Treacys of the Heath to contemplate the chances of "pulling it off this year" could tempt a chairman and the forty people on the hurling and foot/handball comittees to transform into Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves overnight.  This is why we need the GPA to see that money is not wasted.

That's a bit of a serious allegation.  Got any proof of that?

deiseach

Quote from: heffo on November 29, 2012, 11:42:22 PM

You have some counties who don't even have sponsorship officers, make effectively zero effort at fundraising yet they're, paying managers and players  and thencomplaining about counties with excellent volunteer structures - why don't they go out and make and effort to sort their structures and fundraising?

I'm sure you're right about the volunteer structures. Some counties are better than others and it's going to show in their revenue. But how is the Vodafone sponsorship money a reflection of that?

heffo

Quote from: deiseach on November 30, 2012, 08:53:11 AM
Quote from: heffo on November 29, 2012, 11:42:22 PM

I'm sure you're right about the volunteer structures. Some counties are better than others and it's going to show in their revenue. But how is the Vodafone sponsorship money a reflection of that?

Dublin negotiated a lucrative deal with Vodafone and had another similar offer on the table too - this is in line with their profile and Vodafone and the other vendor wouldn't have put up the money if they didn't think they'd see a return on their investment.

My point is you have some counties who spend astronomical amounts on preparing their senior team, outside mgt and outside players yet cannot pay their ESB bill and don't or until very recently didn't even have a sponsorship officer - if they can invest such time and energy in other pursuits yet not the basics, why should counties who go all out to have top class structures from top to bottom subsidise such counties?

deiseach

Quote from: heffo on November 30, 2012, 09:12:32 AM
Dublin negotiated a lucrative deal with Vodafone and had another similar offer on the table too - this is in line with their profile and Vodafone and the other vendor wouldn't have put up the money if they didn't think they'd see a return on their investment.

My point is you have some counties who spend astronomical amounts on preparing their senior team, outside mgt and outside players yet cannot pay their ESB bill and don't or until very recently didn't even have a sponsorship officer - if they can invest such time and energy in other pursuits yet not the basics, why should counties who go all out to have top class structures from top to bottom subsidise such counties?

I agree with your point about having no sympathy for counties living beyond their means. My own is probably the worst offender in that regard and I get right frustrated when people crib that Michael Ryan is only the coach because the demands of the likes of Donal O'Grady are too expensive. How is going for Michael Ryan in those circumstances meant to be a bad thing? Still, Vodafone aren't interested in Dublin because of their 'top class structures'. They're interested because Dublin command hundreds of thousands of eyeballs every time they play. We weren't all created equal in the GAA.

heffo

Quote from: deiseach on November 30, 2012, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: heffo on November 30, 2012, 09:12:32 AM

I agree with your point about having no sympathy for counties living beyond their means. My own is probably the worst offender in that regard and I get right frustrated when people crib that Michael Ryan is only the coach because the demands of the likes of Donal O'Grady are too expensive. How is going for Michael Ryan in those circumstances meant to be a bad thing? Still, Vodafone aren't interested in Dublin because of their 'top class structures'. They're interested because Dublin command hundreds of thousands of eyeballs every time they play. We weren't all created equal in the GAA.

Agree with your second point, but a few rebuttals:

The figure of €1m p.a is the maximum possible figure payable, based on Minor-Senior in both codes acheiving certain targets - clearly this will never happen and if you have 6 x teams competing and preparing for the entire duration of a competition then the costs associated rise.

There was never an issue with Dublin having a high media profile prior to the Vodafone deal - we were much lampooned in the media and on this board for being like the English soccer team - loads of hype in the media, big tv audience but a pack of losers.

If a county with no controls in place and the outside Senior football manager making the decisions from top to bottom spends way beyond their means - yet now complains they have no money - I see no reason for a county like Dublin to subsidise them. We're not communists and these proposals will never be realised.

deiseach

I wouldn't disagree with points 1 and 3 there, heffo, although I think the GAA is more collectivist than you seem to accept. However, I'm confused by your middle point. You say there "was never an issue with Dublin having a high media profile prior to the Vodafone deal". So what do you think made Vodafone put pen to paper?

heffo

Quote from: deiseach on November 30, 2012, 10:07:50 AM
I wouldn't disagree with points 1 and 3 there, heffo, although I think the GAA is more collectivist than you seem to accept. However, I'm confused by your middle point. You say there "was never an issue with Dublin having a high media profile prior to the Vodafone deal". So what do you think made Vodafone put pen to paper?

Have been speaking French for last month so maybe I was clumsy in my point - I mean other counties thought our profile was a great laugh until we got the Vodafone deal - now we have an unequal advantage due to it

deiseach

Quote from: heffo on November 30, 2012, 10:45:51 AM

Have been speaking French for last month so maybe I was clumsy in my point - I mean other counties thought our profile was a great laugh until we got the Vodafone deal - now we have an unequal advantage due to it

Fair enough. Thinking about it, pooling sponsorship money is not a good idea. It would reduce the incentive for counties to hammer out individual deals. There is plenty of scope in the GAA for shared revenue models, but county sponsorship is not one of them.

heffo

Quote from: deiseach on November 30, 2012, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: heffo on November 30, 2012, 10:45:51 AM

Fair enough. Thinking about it, pooling sponsorship money is not a good idea. It would reduce the incentive for counties to hammer out individual deals. There is plenty of scope in the GAA for shared revenue models, but county sponsorship is not one of them.

We already have a fairly robust shared revenue model though - many's the pitch and clubhouse in other counties that has been built on the back of Dublin attendances in Croke park.

deiseach

Quote from: heffo on November 30, 2012, 11:13:45 AM
We already have a fairly robust shared revenue model though - many's the pitch and clubhouse in other counties that has been built on the back of Dublin attendances in Croke park.

Then we're agreed! ;)