The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quotesome surmising that Uncle Ken will sell up to Freddy Shepherd

Aieeeeeeeeee, ouch.

Quotemoney on Gary McAllister being the new manager with Garry Speed on the coaching staff

I could live with that.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

There seems to be some chat that Billy Davies may be interested.  Is there mileage in that?  What about Fat Sam?

the Deel Rover

John sheridan seems to be third favourite at 7/1
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

shotstopper1

Looking very likely to be McAllister,although he has limited managerial experience he would be an inspiration to all and his appointment could give the club the lift it needs to get promotion.

shotstopper1

Quote from: shotstopper1 on January 29, 2008, 12:46:27 PM
Looking very likely to be McAllister,although he has limited managerial experience he would be an inspiration to all and his appointment could give the club the lift it needs to get promotion.

Bassett gone T.G.

Rufus T Firefly

Gary Mc is the new man then - wonder could Gary Speed be persuaded to come on board as player/coach? This is a popular appointment and I would have to say after the disappointment of Wise leaving, this is a lift. As Mers said tonight on Sky Sports, it is a good move for Leeds, and McAllister will play nice passing football (in contrast to DW's tactics), but he questions whether the personnel are there to play such football. Still, the small matter of on field performances were brought home by another defeat away to Southend tonight, although the indifferent form of others (excluding Swansea) is restricting the damage. However, things need to happen on the pitch soon. With the transfer window closing, it's going to be down to the manager!

Billys Boots

BBC Sport: Leeds name McAllister as new boss 

Leeds have appointed former player Gary McAllister as their new manager after Dennis Wise's move to Newcastle.  Ex-Scotland midfielder McAllister, 43, who played for Leeds from 1990 to 1996, has joined initially until the summer.

He also played for Leicester, Liverpool and Coventry, whom he managed for 18 months before leaving to care for wife Denise, who died of cancer in 2006.  McAllister, who won 57 caps, was in the frame for the Scotland job before Alex McLeish was appointed in 2007.

However, he pulled out of the running to succeed McLeish early on and George Burley got the job earlier this month.  Wise left the club on Tuesday after 15 months in charge, while assistant Dave Bassett has also departed.  Technical director Gwyn Williams will take charge of the game at Southend.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

full back

Jaysus christ
Where has Mc Allister been for the last few years

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Evil Genius

Quote from: full back on February 04, 2008, 11:12:42 AM
Jaysus christ

Looking after his sick wife:
"McAllister had a fairly un-notable spell in management with former club Coventry. He resigned however due to family reasons. His wife, Denise, was ill with breast cancer. She died on 3 March 2006, aged 38."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_McAllister
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

full back

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 04, 2008, 02:04:13 PM
Jaysus christ

"McAllister had a fairly un-notable spell in management with former club Coventry. He resigned however due to family reasons. His wife, Denise, was ill with breast cancer. She died on 3 March 2006, aged 38."

I meant from Staunton took charge of Ireland in Jan 06. No need to be a smart arse eg ::)

Evil Genius

Quote from: full back on February 04, 2008, 02:18:36 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on February 04, 2008, 02:04:13 PM
Jaysus christ

I meant from Staunton took charge of Ireland in Jan 06. No need to be a smart arse eg ::)

I wasn't being a smartarse. You asked a question, I answered it. Since you didn't specify "since Jan 06", but said "for the last few years", my answer covered it. (A period of mourning after Mar. 06 is a bit of a given, followed by some more recent media work with Sky etc- unless you think I'm being smartarsed in saying even that...)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

full back

ildanach

just when you thought it could not get any worse for leeds....................

Staunton Set For Leeds Role
Mon 04 Feb, 03:10 PM

Leeds are poised to name Steve Staunton as assistant manager to Gary McAllister.

The former Republic of Ireland boss will meet the Leeds squad at Thorp Arch with a view to being confirmed as McAllister's number two at Elland Road.

Staunton, who won 102 international caps for the Republic, will team up with McAllister after the pair worked together at Coventry.

The former Liverpool, Aston Villa and Coventry full-back joined the Sky Blues as a player when McAllister was manager in August 2003.

Staunton was appointed successor to Brian Kerr as Republic coach in January 2006, but was sacked the following October following an unsuccessful Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.