Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

Quote from: downjim on July 29, 2018, 06:34:06 PM
PCN are starting to be caught and I fancy the Reds to take them.
CPN beat them handily enough in the end on Friday night. Rostrevors legs went in the 2nd half and that was on a  small pitch, I think the Marshes will suit CPN more and they have Mallon and Davison to come into their team while Rostrevor have Doyle and Fegan.

rosskarr

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2018, 07:18:44 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 29, 2018, 07:10:06 PM
What was pure shite about that? Obviously limerick mikes ahead of Down that's why I said can make the super 8s and not an all Ireland final. Read what I wrote will you. Limerick haven't contested a final in 11 years.
You were making out that Limerick, like Down footballers, are a team of limited ability but through hard work and solid tactics have managed to make an All Ireland final. That is pure shite. Limerick are a team full of hugely talented hurlers who have recently won All Ireland's at U21 and have every right to be playing in an All Ireland final. They would fear no team in the country. Down footballers have no business playing in the Super 8s.
HS,your holidays are over,head back over to Antrim.

Smurfy123

Hardstation can you answer me this then if Down have no right in super 8s. Why did Antrim throw everyone behind the ball against us and give us every kickout? Antrim probably 30th in Ireland

Smurfy123

I don't disagree that we are a long way off hard but I'm saying it is possible to make the super 8s. It will be hard to break into it but I believe one outsider will make it every year and possibly 2.

Smurfy123

Fair enough probably was then.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 29, 2018, 08:03:36 PM
Fair enough probably was then.

Lol you put up a good argument there smurfy.

Down are a long way behind Dublin, Galway, Donegal, Kerry and Tyrone IMO but with the right management in place I don't see why couldn't put it up to the likes of Monaghan (I know they drew with Kerry)Roscommon and Kildare.  We got to an Ulster final last year with the worst manager in our history so there is something in the current panel.

johnnycool

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2018, 08:00:33 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 29, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
I don't disagree that we are a long way off hard but I'm saying it is possible to make the super 8s. It will be hard to break into it but I believe one outsider will make it every year and possibly 2.
Limerick have not been a long way off making an All Ireland final. That's the point. Your comparison was nonsense.
.Plus the professionalism of the Limerick hurlers and the backroom team leaves Down in the ha'penny place.
Do a bit of research on them. Kielty, kinnerk and Co are serious operators funded by a certain JP McManus .
We're light years away

Smurfy123

I'll hold my hands up I got that one wrong. They are a serious team with one of the wealthiest men in Ireland backing them. And they look super conditioned something we can't say about the Down players. But as whitegoodman said we got to an ulster final last year with a shambles of a set up.

whitegoodman

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2018, 10:34:26 PM
On a really good day, you probably could beat those teams. You would expect them to beat you comfortably 9 times out of 10 though.

We have beaten two of those three teams in the last 2 years so I guess we won't be beating them for another few years !!!!

Roscommon and Kildare are both bang average and Monaghan have a very good manager and one unbelievable forward.  If you can somehow nullify him then they can be got at especially if you have pace in your team.

CornUladh02

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 29, 2018, 11:04:34 PM
On a really good day, you probably could beat those teams. You would expect them to beat you comfortably 9 times out of 10 though.

We have beaten two of those three teams in the last 2 years so I guess we won't be beating them for another few years !!!!

Roscommon and Kildare are both bang average and Monaghan have a very good manager and one unbelievable forward.  If you can somehow nullify him then they can be got at especially if you have pace in your team.
Is that the same kildare that beat Mayo, who have been in a handful of all Ireland finals since the turn of the decade? Average??,

OgraAnDun

Quote from: CornUladh02 on July 29, 2018, 11:23:03 PM

Is that the same kildare that beat Mayo, who have been in a handful of all Ireland finals since the turn of the decade? Average??,

Would that be the same Mayo team that scraped past Derry a little over 12 months ago? Beating them doesn't make you world beaters (no denying Mayo are a great team though).

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 29, 2018, 07:48:51 PM
Hardstation can you answer me this then if Down have no right in super 8s. Why did Antrim throw everyone behind the ball against us and give us every kickout? Antrim probably 30th in Ireland

Get real.

We are probably 20-25th worst county in Ireland. Maybe even in the 25-30 bracket!

No where near the level you are suggesting and if we were in S8, we'd be embarrassed every game.
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

Jesus calm down.
All I said was if limerick can make the All Ireland final then with hard work and a good management team Down could make the super 8s. I never said Down were anything they are not.

whitegoodman

Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 12:24:19 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 30, 2018, 12:17:13 AM
Quote from: CornUladh02 on July 29, 2018, 11:23:03 PM

Would that be the same Mayo team that scraped past Derry a little over 12 months ago? Beating them doesn't make you world beaters (no denying Mayo are a great team though).
Kildare aren't world beaters but, if you're being honest with yourself, you would say they are a level above where Down currently are.

By your logic could this not be the 1/10 times that Kildare could beat Mayo ?

Down are well off the top tier but I cant agree that the likes of Roscommon and Kildare are that far ahead of Down.  Time will tell if we get a half decent management team in place but we have seen what a decent manager can do with the likes of Fermanagh.

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 09:04:43 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 29, 2018, 07:48:51 PM

Get real.

We are probably 20-25th worst county in Ireland. Maybe even in the 25-30 bracket!

No where near the level you are suggesting and if we were in S8, we'd be embarrassed every game.

So you reckon we wont be in with a shout of promotion to division 2 next year ?  By all accounts we were one result away from staying in Div 2 this year so 20th - 30th would be as much of an exaggeration as top 8.

downjim

Great news from Kilcoo this morning, the Red has woken up