Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Talks "on pause".
Bozo and van der Leyden to talk tomorrow.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: marty34 on December 04, 2020, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 01, 2020, 01:19:17 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on December 01, 2020, 12:37:50 PM
Chippers down south may be affected as they get their pre-cut chips from the UK.  pretty ironic really.

And why should chippers in the North not be equally affected as they have same food regulations?

Mind you I heard something about the chipper in Cullaville ordering 1000 tonnes of spuds.

Key question is though, where is the fish coming from?
Believe it ir not, they are from Irish waters! I'm going by what I heard from some head or other who is involved with the Brexit talks on RTE News Now a few days ago.  Seems the poor mackerel are spawned in the Irish Sea and they migrate across to English territorial waters - or something like that.So the question is, are they Gaeilgóirí or bloody Sassenachs?  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Baile Brigín 2

Interesting news about soccer.

The 4 home associations are obviously still the home associations, but FIFA have declared that CTA or no CTA, the FAI zone of control is as foreign as anywhere else and no kids can move to England or Scotland under the age of 18, but can to the rest of the EU.

Great news for local clubs as definitionally they move as pros, not trainees so transfer fees go up. But are there enough acadamy spaces for the 45 odd who go over annually? Or will they start going to the continent?

Also better for the kids longer term as education is part of the LoI thing but ignored in England.

No idea where it leaves Irish citizens in the 6 counties. I assume they are declared UK by being under IFA jurisdiction

Dubh driocht

Surely the GFA allows Irish citizens in the North to opt to play for Ireland?
So is today the day that decides our future? Papers saying that Boris always wanted to be the man in the big picture when the crunch came. I'm glad Cummings isn't in his ear at this time and Carrie is a more humane and sensible influence.  But it appears that it's the EU who quite understandably are resolute and Barnier has had a tough challenge negotiating obo 27 countries.  All along I have believed that even the arrogant Tories aren't stupid enough to go for no deal (may have been optimism bias) but as people have warned, no deal could happen by accident if they run out of time.  Johnson is a populist so really doesn't care on the outcome as long as he looks good.  Let's hope Ursula is aware of the high stakes for Ireland, N and S, or a tough few years will become a very tough few years

Time to call it; will there be a deal or not?
I still think there will be. One word answers please; yes or no?

Main Street

Quote from: Dubh driocht on December 05, 2020, 01:45:52 PM

The GFA does not bestow any citizenship rights to Nordies. What allows Nordies to play for Ireland is that they are Irish citizens from birth, they don't have to acquire that citizenship, it is their birthright according to the irish constitution. This has been the birthright of Nordies since Dev the phoenix, emerged from ashes of the civil war.
Though it's a pity that most nordie nationalists want to cling onto their British Nationality

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Main Street on December 05, 2020, 08:17:59 PM

The GFA does not bestow any citizenship rights to Nordies. What allows Nordies to play for Ireland is that they are Irish citizens from birth, they don't have to acquire that citizenship, it is their birthright according to the irish constitution. This has been the birthright of Nordies since Dev the phoenix, emerged from ashes of the civil war.
Though it's a pity that most nordie nationalists want to cling onto their British Nationality
You're from Monaghan

LCohen

Care to explain that claim?

Main Street

Quote from: LCohen on December 06, 2020, 08:22:57 AM

Care to explain that fact? Were you born in NI? If so are you not aware that such a person is a dual national from birth? But so far how many Nordies have gone though the process of ridding themselves of the stain of an imposed British Nationality? When it comes to a state recognition of a nordies nationality, it is their British nationality which is automatically regarded as first. Officially a Nordie is a British subject first  but one who also has Irish citizenship. The GFA does not change anything there. Of course I hear the common refrain that being born British does not make me less Irish, but if a person wants to choose to be only Irish they have to go through a legal process, until that is completed the Irish nationality is secondary to British Nationality as the Irish nationality has no legal status in British Law. It is astounding that so many Nordies have adopted the false belief that GFA allowed them to be Irish citizens or somehow gave an official recognition to being Irish.

Silver hill

Quote from: Main Street on December 06, 2020, 09:53:39 AM

Care to explain that fact? Were you born in NI? If so are you not aware that such a person is a dual national from birth? But so far how many Nordies have gone though the process of ridding themselves of the stain of an imposed British Nationality? When it comes to a state recognition of a nordies nationality, it is their British nationality which is automatically regarded as first. Officially a Nordie is a British subject first  but one who also has Irish citizenship. The GFA does not change anything there. Of course I hear the common refrain that being born British does not make me less Irish, but if a person wants to choose to be only Irish they have to go through a legal process, until that is completed the Irish nationality is secondary to British Nationality as the Irish nationality has no legal status in British Law. It is astounding that so many Nordies have adopted the false belief that GFA allowed them to be Irish citizens or somehow gave an official recognition to being Irish.

Most???
Care to back up your argument with any facts.... how many People born in the North of Ireland have Irish passports? I know that none of my own circle of family friends and acquaintances have British passports. Far from scientific but l'm sure my circumstances are not unique.
On top of that, there was a major surge after the Brexit vote, of people from the unionist community, exercising their right to avail of dual Nationality.

Main Street

Quote from: Silver hill on December 06, 2020, 11:21:14 AM

Most???
Care to back up your argument with any facts.... how many People born in the North of Ireland have Irish passports? I know that none of my own circle of family friends and acquaintances have British passports. Far from scientific but l'm sure my circumstances are not unique.
On top of that, there was a major surge after the Brexit vote, of people from the unionist community, exercising their right to avail of dual Nationality.
Facts??  it's the feckin' law, is that factual enough? :D
Everybody born  in NI is a British National,  It is an imposed nationality. that's the only nationality recognised in British nationality Law
It just so happens that everybody born in NI is also automatically entitled to irish citizenship.
But when a NI born  plays sport for NI  they do so as a Briitish national
when they play for the FAI they do so an Irish national.

It is a dual nationality but in NI the Irish citizenship is second class.

As an addendum,  the recent experience of Emma DeSouza is a case in point to exemplify the dilemma.
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/desouza-case-good-friday-agreement/

Emma is of the belief she can appeal the decision that she is a British national by dint of birth in the 6 counties, imposed upon her against her will.

I think that's a lost cause. But i think the next step is to campaign for the articles in the GFA to be made part of British nationality law. That anyone born in NI can renounce their imposed Brit nationality without payment of fee, be only an Irish citizen and still have full legal, social and civil rights. That Irish nationality alone has full equal status under the law, not just in a treaty which can be discarded by political imbeciles, peddling a poppy flower version British nationality.

Silver hill

Quote from: Main Street on December 06, 2020, 11:43:16 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on December 06, 2020, 11:21:14 AM

Most???
Facts??  it's the feckin' law, is that factual enough? :D
Everybody born  in NI is a British National,  It is an imposed nationality. that's the only nationality recognised in British nationality Law
It just so happens that everybody born in NI is also automatically entitled to irish citizenship.
But when a NI born  plays sport for NI  they do so as a Briitish national
when they play for the FAI they do so an Irish national.

It is a dual nationality but in NI the Irish citizenship is second class.

As an addendum,  the recent experience of Emma DeSouza is a case in point to exemplify the dilemma.
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/desouza-case-good-friday-agreement/

Emma is of the belief she can appeal the decision that she is a British national by dint of birth in the 6 counties, imposed upon her against her will.

I think that's a lost cause. But i think the next step is to campaign for the articles in the GFA to be made part of British nationality law. That anyone born in NI can renounce their imposed Brit nationality without payment of fee, be only an Irish citizen and still have full legal, social and civil rights. That Irish nationality alone has full equal status under the law, not just in a treaty which can be discarded by political imbeciles, peddling a poppy flower version British nationality.

Though it's a pity that most nordie nationalists want to cling onto their British Nationality.......

Nothing Northern Nationalists can do about the fact that British citizenship was 'bestowed' on us by the fact that we were born within that bastardised state. My issue is with your line that 'most' somehow want to cling onto our British Nationality.... that's a crude statement and I'll give you a bye ball given your luck in living in the free State (and the luck of the draw in how Monaghan fell on the right side).
I would strongly challenge your claim; we do have a straight choice when a passport is required and no Nationalists I know (moderate/Republican/whatever) choose the British one. 

Baile Brigín 2

No. Irish citizens can play for Ireland and that has always been the case. The GFA has nothing to so with nothing

bennydorano

Free State 98 years old today, apt that Main Street reminds us of the legacy of being sold down the river.

Seaney

Fact of the matter is Norn Ireland is a basket case, economy held up by public sector workers swinging the lead and getting their big pensions. The Republic doesn't want us, the Brits would love to get rid if us and we are so tied to the British treasury their is no chance we could ever stand on our own two feet.

clonadmad

Quote from: Seaney on December 06, 2020, 04:44:53 PM
Fact of the matter is Norn Ireland is a basket case, economy held up by public sector workers swinging the lead and getting their big pensions. The Republic doesn't want us, the Brits would love to get rid if us and we are so tied to the British treasury their is no chance we could ever stand on our own two feet.

Some amount of sweeping statements

Proof please of where the Republic doesn't want ye.