Ireland’s Favourite Folk Song - RTE One

Started by BennyCake, May 21, 2019, 11:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these would you pick as Ireland's Favourite Folk Song?

A Woman's Heart
The Foggy Dew
The Parting Glass
A Rainy Night In Soho
Raglan Road
Óró, Sé Do Bheatha 'Bhaile
Rocky Road To Dublin
The Town I Loved So Well
Danny Boy
The Green Fields Of France

weareros

Quote from: BennyCake on May 23, 2019, 04:37:46 PM
Aon Focal Eile.

As Gaeilge songs should get a few extra points.

I would add Mór Chluana/Amhrán Dóchais - probably better know as The Taoiseach's salute. I think it was Liam Clancy that did a very good version.
Also an Poc ar buile

BennyCake

Many Young Men Of Twenty
Cliffs Of Dooneen

thewobbler

It's a brilliant tune but if we're going to include songs by Australians - Green Fields of France - then I'd like Me and Bobby McGee added too.

BennyCake

easytiger95

Honourable mentions to the Behans - Brendan for "The Auld Triangle" and Dominic for "The Patriot Game" - tellingly Dylan in his Greenwich village days apparently covered the first one as "The Banks of the Royal Canal" and of course nicked the latter for "With God On Our Side" - but I'd have to give it to Paddy Kavanagh's "Raglan Road" - Luke's version of course.

weareros

Quote from: thewobbler on May 23, 2019, 11:16:09 PM
It's a brilliant tune but if we're going to include songs by Australians - Green Fields of France - then I'd like Me and Bobby McGee added too.

In fairness as Captain Obvious said, it is about an Armagh soldier. I saw on Wiki that Eric deliberately gave the soldier an Irish name to counter anti-Irish sentiment at the time, when song was written in 1976. That said, it would be a lot more respectful to the songwriter if we called the song by it's rightful name "No Man's Land". Think he wrote a better song in The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.

seafoid

From Clare to here even if Ralph McTell is English
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

balladmaker

On Griffinstown Hill .... rarely heard, but what a ballad

Farrandeelin

Will you come to the bower is one of my favourites.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on May 24, 2019, 03:37:55 PM
From Clare to here even if Ralph McTell is English

I can't be doing with Ralph McTell. Bland English folk music.

gallsman

Was the thread originally called favourite Irish folk song? As it is, it's "Ireland's Favourite Folk Song". The foremost influence on Luke Kelly's musical upbringing was his Scottish grandmother, hence Parcel of Rogues etc. A favourite of mine is an English one done brilliantly by Planxty, Little Musgrave.

Agree with Mo Ghile Mear. The Cor Cúl aodh version is exceptional and they were brilliant at Martin McGuinness' funeral

moysider

Voted for Raglan Road but not gone on the shortlist as a whole. I'd have the following before several of them.

Carrickfergus (Jim McCann)

Galway Bay (Dolorous Keane)

Merry Ploughboy ( Dubliners - Ronnie)

Rising of The Moon ( Dubliners)

Ag Casadh an tSúgán ( Bothy Band)

Gleanntáin Ghlas Ghaoth Dóbhair (Altan)

Roddy McCorley ( Dubliners)

I Wish My Love was a Red Red Rose ( Altan)

The Boys of Barr na Sraide (Christy)

Kevin Barry

BennyCake

Red Red Rose, is that the Burns poem? If so, that'd be Scottish. Good tune though.

Can't stand Carrickfergus.

I think the judges did their best to avoid any pro-IRA/Rising songs because that would be too controversial  ::) Foggy Dew threw in as a token gesture probably. And Oro as the token Irish language one.

gallsman

Quote from: BennyCake on May 27, 2019, 01:49:16 PM
Red Red Rose, is that the Burns poem? If so, that'd be Scottish. Good tune though.

Can't stand Carrickfergus.

I think the judges did their best to avoid any pro-IRA/Rising songs because that would be too controversial  ::) Foggy Dew threw in as a token gesture probably. And Oro as the token Irish language one.

Sure they knew they wouldn't need to in the surefire knowledge that balladmaker would pop up and nominate all the Wolfe Tones' musically and lyrically limited up the Ra songs as worthy of belonging on the list

magpie seanie