Mayo v Cavan 19th March - MacHale Park

Started by Farrandeelin, March 13, 2017, 08:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Hopefully the two weeks off will suit the Mayo team and there will be a backlash. Should win this game seeing as Cavan will be playing their 3rd game in 3 weeks.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Brapbrap

Win the game guarantee safety and run the panel in the last two league games safe in the knowledge of no repercussions, really see who is up to it and who isn't. It could be an excellent opportunity to do something we haven't been able to do for a number of years.

Cunny Funt

Cavan only scoring on average 10 points a game Mayo should win this game comfortably. A NFL final is still up for grabs I would expect Rochford and his players to aim for that.

mayo.mick

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 13, 2017, 06:21:14 PM
Cavan only scoring on average 10 points a game Mayo should win this game comfortably. A NFL final is still up for grabs I would expect Rochford and his players to aim for that.

We'd need to win our last 3 games by 10/12+ points wouldn't we to get to the final?
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

bucko

Whatever about finals,2 points with a substantial improvement in performance fro the Dublin game has to be the very least we need to get out of Sunday. Cavan may be regarded in some quarters as a certain 2 points but I can see them causing us problems given how we tend to struggle against massed defences. The worry is that other than Clarke's shot stopping, defence, midfield or attack have not really clicked over the full 70 at all this year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 13, 2017, 06:21:14 PM

You would?

I would expect them to have a go at beating Cavan. If we do that, I'd expect us to be worried about nothing else but putting in good performances against Donegal and Tyrone. The distraction of a League final (that I could never see us winning) is the last thing we need. Anyway we have spent enough money going to Croke Park already this year.

Cunny Funt

Tyrone and Monaghan have played Dublin in a recent league final and semi final and got within one point of them. The more Croke park games the better for any team IMO and one trimming shouldn't frighten you away from that venue.

At the moment Tyrone are favorites to play Dublin in the NFL final however they have a tougher run in than Mayo with Donegal in Ballybofey who are hard to beat there and Kerry away who could be close to full strength by round 7.

Cavan on the way to division 2 and Donegal in transition are two games Mayo should be winning in MacHale park. The decider for a place in the final could well be the Tyrone v Mayo game in Omagh and I don't see Rochford throwing in a pile of inexperienced or untested players into that game.

Itchy

Cavan will win this handy enough and launch a glorious escape from relegation. It will be like 48 all over again.

bucko

Quote from: Itchy on March 13, 2017, 07:48:47 PM
Cavan will win this handy enough and launch a glorious escape from relegation. It will be like 48 all over again.
Entirely possible if we play like we did against Dublin.

Syferus

Any team with ambitions of winning either national competition besides Dublin are only fooling themselves and wasting their members' hard earned cash chasing shadows.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on March 13, 2017, 07:48:47 PM

The short final! Cavan led by 3-02 to 0-00 at half time!

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2017, 11:30:32 PM
Any team with ambitions of winning either national competition besides Dublin are only fooling themselves and wasting their members' hard earned cash chasing shadows.
So 31 Counties should just stop fielding teams at all??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 13, 2017, 11:44:52 PM

The ones in three of the provinces can at least aim for the most pertigious titles actually up for grabs. Rest of Leinster is lost territory, sadly.

The sad reality is this year (and next, and next..) Carlow have nearly as much chance of winning Sam as supposed pure bloods like Kerry. Maybe Cork and Meath are ahead of everyone in losing interest in this sport.

mrdeeds

Quote from: bucko on March 13, 2017, 06:49:45 PM
Whatever about finals,2 points with a substantial improvement in performance fro the Dublin game has to be the very least we need to get out of Sunday. Cavan may be regarded in some quarters as a certain 2 points but I can see them causing us problems given how we tend to struggle against massed defences. The worry is that other than Clarke's shot stopping, defence, midfield or attack have not really clicked over the full 70 at all this year.

The massed defence thing because Joe Brolly said it five years ago. We've no defensive plan and a blunt attack so Mayo should win pulling up.

Brapbrap

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2017, 01:36:07 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 13, 2017, 11:44:52 PM

The ones in three of the provinces can at least aim for the most pertigious titles actually up for grabs. Rest of Leinster is lost territory, sadly.

The sad reality is this year (and next, and next..) Carlow have nearly as much chance of winning Sam as supposed pure bloods like Kerry. Maybe Cork and Meath are ahead of everyone in losing interest in this sport.

Will someone just bar this g&*#!@$e