Big Neil Gallagher

Started by Il Bomber Destro, February 20, 2017, 08:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Has called it a day.

A massive part of Donegal's success in the last 7/8 years.

J70

That's a big blow to whatever modest hopes we might have had for this season and a shame for the lad.

Legendary player though. His performance against Cork in the AI semi in 2012 was one of the best midfield exhibitions of the last ten years.

Murphy won't see the opposition square at all this season now.

trileacman

A wonderful passer of the ball. I thought as a high fielder he was over-rated, his real talent was passing, scoring and creating opportunities. There's a commonly peddled lie that Donegal won their all-Ireland due to a "system" and their players were substandard to the Dublin/Kerry aristocracy. There's always a lot of subtle digs at this in print media and RTe. Donegal for decades were seen as a county of classy footballers without the balls or real commitment to challenge the more dominant sides in Ulster but they would without doubt been rated as one of the classiest football team in Ulster along with Down.

It's funny how close the likes of Rory kavanagh, toye, Gallagher and Lacey came to sharing the choker reputation of hegarty, devenney, ad sweeney and Monaghan. Life's full of small margins.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

imtommygunn

I would agree trileacman. Biggest asset was on the ball. Always reminded me of john mcentee in that he wasn't blessed with pace yet when on the ball always seemed to find a load of space

rrhf

A brilliant influence for Donegal. Was my man of the match in the Kerry aif defeat. Massive loss.

trileacman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 20, 2017, 10:14:13 PM
I would agree trileacman. Biggest asset was on the ball. Always reminded me of john mcentee in that he wasn't blessed with pace yet when on the ball always seemed to find a load of space.

Good point. He was incredibly comfortable in possession, like Enda Muldoon in that regard.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

The Stallion

He wasn't half the player Enda Muldoon was to be fair.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: The Stallion on February 20, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
He wasn't half the player Enda Muldoon was to be fair.

There's always one plonker.......
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

The Stallion

Nice of you to admit it but I don't think you should be so harsh on yourself.

Captain Obvious

At his peak few midfielders had better workrate on and off the ball as big Neil Gallagher had.