Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2020, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 09, 2020, 12:23:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2020, 09:26:17 AM
Did the ref blow before he took shot?

It's a very grey area on the rules. I personally don't enforce it unless it's blatantly obvious, like when they start slabbering  ;D

Seen a few debates on this and most sided with the ref

No. He spotted the lack of gumshield when tbe lad ran back past him.

The rules clearly say you caution a non complaint player

Had he been asked previously to put in gum shield? On that footage there doesn't seem to be much complaints, he's running over to sideline to put in the gun shield he should have had in from start!

Either way it's might cost them against Ballymun in the next match, he'll be wearing one then I'd hope

But the rules don't allow for a foul to be given, only a booking. You can't overturn a play because he has no gumshield

tyroneman

I saw a free given for a CB kicking the ball back to the keeper after a kick out - fair enough under the following rules (from rthe GAA webste)

KICK OUT

1: The kick-out is to be taken from the 20-metre line, from the centre-point, and from the ground.

2: The ball cannot be kicked backwards.

3: All players shall be outside the 20-metre line, outside the semi-circle, and 13 metres from the ball until it has been kicked.

4: The ball shall travel not less than 13 metres and outside the 20-metre line before being played by another player of the defending team.

5: If the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he shall stay within the small rectangle and all other players except the player taking the kick-out shall be outside the 20-metre line and 13 metres from the ball.

It specifies 'kicked' though- so is it the case that the ball can be handpassed back to the keeper from a kick out?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: tyroneman on August 10, 2020, 11:55:49 AM
I saw a free given for a CB kicking the ball back to the keeper after a kick out - fair enough under the following rules (from rthe GAA webste)

KICK OUT

1: The kick-out is to be taken from the 20-metre line, from the centre-point, and from the ground.

2: The ball cannot be kicked backwards.

3: All players shall be outside the 20-metre line, outside the semi-circle, and 13 metres from the ball until it has been kicked.

4: The ball shall travel not less than 13 metres and outside the 20-metre line before being played by another player of the defending team.

5: If the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he shall stay within the small rectangle and all other players except the player taking the kick-out shall be outside the 20-metre line and 13 metres from the ball.

It specifies 'kicked' though- so is it the case that the ball can be handpassed back to the keeper from a kick out?

No.  That "kicked backwards" point you highlighted refers to the GK kickout, ie the kickout cannot go backwards.  It is not referring to the subsequent pass back from the corner back.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 10, 2020, 11:44:55 AM

It's a very grey area on the rules. I personally don't enforce it unless it's blatantly obvious, like when they start slabbering  ;D

Had he been asked previously to put in gum shield? On that footage there doesn't seem to be much complaints, he's running over to sideline to put in the gun shield he should have had in from start!

Either way it's might cost them against Ballymun in the next match, he'll be wearing one then I'd hope

But the rules don't allow for a foul to be given, only a booking. You can't overturn a play because he has no gumshield

A referee can stop play if he feels there is a danger to a player... take from that what you want.

I personally wouldn't have done it but it happens
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2020, 12:03:46 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 10, 2020, 11:44:55 AM

A referee can stop play if he feels there is a danger to a player... take from that what you want.

I personally wouldn't have done it but it happens

Not sure you are following this...

Milltown Row2

I am... the referee brought back play after noticing a player was not wearing his gum shield.. disallowed the goal and made the player go get his gum shield..

Was he right? Probably not, the decision was taken and he can't go back on that... move on..

Calls are made incorrectly all the time up and down the country, I got caught out on a couple yesterday, apologised and moved on.

Players also make bad mistakes, like not wearing shields when this rule has been about for a while and it's there to protect the players. He'll not forget it again.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

Say a player plays in a junior final and gets a straight red card but his team wins and so goes to intermediate next year.

The player receives "a one match suspension in the same Code at the same Level, applicable to the next game in the same Competition, even if that game occur's in the following year's competition."

Is that player suspended for the first game in next year's Intermediate championship, or does the suspension not apply because it's at a different level?
And in which case, the suspension would never be served because it would be at least 2 years before the player plays again in an Intermediate championship match.

delgany

It carries over to the next IFC match. Another good example is an U21 gets a straight red in last ever U21 championship  game, it carries over to next adult championship game in that code .

Smokin Joe

OK, I see how that makes sense practically, but struggling to see how that works given the wording. 
What is the definition of "Level" and "Competition" as used in the rule.

Code obviously refers to football or hurling.

But surely U21 and Senior or not the same Level and Competition?

BennyCake

What if a ladies player gets a red card, and get a suspension, then gets married and changes her surname. Could she technically play in the next match under her new name, as the referees report would have her maiden name?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 14, 2020, 04:31:04 PM
What if a ladies player gets a red card, and get a suspension, then gets married and changes her surname. Could she technically play in the next match under her new name, as the referees report would have her maiden name?

Or changes gender? There'll some yoyo's at that no doubt!!

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2020, 04:45:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 14, 2020, 04:31:04 PM

Or changes gender? There'll some yoyo's at that no doubt!!

It's a bit extreme to do that just to avoid a match suspension  ;D

delgany

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 14, 2020, 03:18:47 PM
OK, I see how that makes sense practically, but struggling to see how that works given the wording. 

It's likely that a final year U21 is playing senior football in most clubs

Main Street

Any rules against lewd sexual acts commited on the pitch?

The violence was bad enough at the end of the Dublin semi final Ballymun v Crokes, but even more horrific was the disturbing. scene of sexual activity after a peculiar mating ritual in the lead up to this Covid bonking.
The Ballymun player ended up frantically riding his opponent doggy style as if he had to get it all done and dusted in ten seconds flat. Not even 3 players could pull him away from his task.  A bucket or two of water might have cooled the passion down.

The whole thing kicks off at the 54 second mark

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/gaa/watch-ballymun-kickhams-kilmacud-crokes-18928555

Smokin Joe

Quote from: delgany on September 14, 2020, 05:20:02 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 14, 2020, 03:18:47 PM

It's likely that a final year U21 is playing senior football in most clubs

True.  But I still don't see how that is relevant as the suspension is for that same Level in the same Competition.  If it said the next game in the Code then it obviously would be served in his next game.
Level and Competition are capitalized in the rulebook, so I assume they must be a definition.  I just can't locate those definitions.