2018 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 29, 2018, 12:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah that kind of thing shouldn't be allowed. Has to be the same rule for all. The "traditional " teams always seem to get favourable treatment.

AZOffaly

I think it's a sad state of affairs that it has come to this, but it is where we are. I said it a few years ago when we ended up in a play off with Kerry. This new format at least gives you entry to the All Ireland Series if you are good enough, so Offaly can aim for that. The round robin table doesn't lie, and while there were promising performances v Galway and Kilkenny, you now have to look at them in a different light. The Wexford game was a real eye opener, and there's no way Offaly should be falling that far off Wexford or Dublin. As it is, Offaly are no better than Laois, Carlow, Westmeath or Antrim. I think when people reflect a bit more, they will see it for what it is, an opportunity to regroup with a young team and get back into the Championship.

That said, I wonder what will the story be if next year sees the Joe McDonagh team staying up? Will the powers that be really want a Leinster Championship with Galway, Kilkenny, Wexford, Westmeath and Carlow say...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 05, 2018, 09:09:02 AM
I think it's a sad state of affairs that it has come to this, but it is where we are. I said it a few years ago when we ended up in a play off with Kerry. This new format at least gives you entry to the All Ireland Series if you are good enough, so Offaly can aim for that. The round robin table doesn't lie, and while there were promising performances v Galway and Kilkenny, you now have to look at them in a different light. The Wexford game was a real eye opener, and there's no way Offaly should be falling that far off Wexford or Dublin. As it is, Offaly are no better than Laois, Carlow, Westmeath or Antrim. I think when people reflect a bit more, they will see it for what it is, an opportunity to regroup with a young team and get back into the Championship.

That said, I wonder what will the story be if next year sees the Joe McDonagh team staying up? Will the powers that be really want a Leinster Championship with Galway, Kilkenny, Wexford, Westmeath and Carlow say...
why not?
Westmeath should be well able to compete with Dublin

more PR stuff for Offaly this morning
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/martin-breheny-offaly-and-leinster-have-been-betrayed-by-system-changes-that-fail-fairness-and-equality-tests-36973998.html

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 05, 2018, 09:30:44 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 05, 2018, 09:09:02 AM

why not?
Westmeath should be well able to compete with Dublin

more PR stuff for Offaly this morning
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/martin-breheny-offaly-and-leinster-have-been-betrayed-by-system-changes-that-fail-fairness-and-equality-tests-36973998.html

They'll have no bother with Westmeath going up, as long as they promptly get relegated the next year, ideally for Offaly. But if Westmeath don't play ball, and win a game, and say Wexford or Dublin come down, and are replaced with Carlow, I bet you €20 there'd be a 'review'.

seafoid

Quote from: Minder on June 05, 2018, 08:55:09 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2018, 07:46:01 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/selfpity-will-get-them-nowhere-ger-loughnane-criticises-pr-campaign-against-offalys-relegation-to-the-joe-mcdonagh-cup-36974630.html

He is correct
the Joe Mc D cup is a bit like Division 1 b
Less pressure. Allows you to test players. You are still in the game.
You make the progress you need and you get out.
We need a strong Offaly, not to pity Offaly. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2018, 09:53:30 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/selfpity-will-get-them-nowhere-ger-loughnane-criticises-pr-campaign-against-offalys-relegation-to-the-joe-mcdonagh-cup-36974630.html

He is correct

1B is dead on if you've a young team and need to build or like Galway easing through the gears at the early part of the year. It doesn't seem to impact on teams championship performances.

Not sure Offaly could be described as a young team all the same as Dooley, Currams and all are bound to be touching 30.
Club wise I get the impression that St Rynaghs and KK are as good as anything else in Leinster so maybe the ground work is getting there to support a strong intercounty team.

Whilst there's no point lying about it there is still a good bit of a gulf between the Joe McDonagh and the Leinster round robin but if the likes of Westmeath were to get in they'd give a good account of themselves but like Offaly won't have the strength in depth to cope with the demands of 4 games in 5 weeks. The hurling snobs might look at the scoreline and suggest they were hammered and they might be, but hurling is very unforgiving in that regard as bigs scores are easier to come by.
Let the current championship format pan out and not be making knee jerk reactions.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on June 05, 2018, 10:24:00 AM

He is correct

1B is dead on if you've a young team and need to build or like Galway easing through the gears at the early part of the year. It doesn't seem to impact on teams championship performances.

Not sure Offaly could be described as a young team all the same as Dooley, Currams and all are bound to be touching 30.
Club wise I get the impression that St Rynaghs and KK are as good as anything else in Leinster so maybe the ground work is getting there to support a strong intercounty team.

Whilst there's no point lying about it there is still a good bit of a gulf between the Joe McDonagh and the Leinster round robin but if the likes of Westmeath were to get in they'd give a good account of themselves but like Offaly won't have the strength in depth to cope with the demands of 4 games in 5 weeks. The hurling snobs might look at the scoreline and suggest they were hammered and they might be, but hurling is very unforgiving in that regard as bigs scores are easier to come by.
Let the current championship format pan out and not be making knee jerk reactions.

I agree re not touching the format.
Hurling in the championship is like doing the iterations.
Galway didn't become good overnight. The process started in 2011
Wexford have also been working to a plan for a few years.

KK have a conveyor belt but thankfully are missing a 3 and a 6 ;)
These 3 teams are serious. Dublin have started again.
So 4 teams who put the effort in.
Offaly are a bit behind. 

Maybe in the knockout format they would get a 13 point hammering every year and accept it
I think the round robin exposes which teams are not operating at the right level in  fairly brutal fashion.
They have to perform at a higher level to stay in Leinster. So do Westmeath.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2018, 10:47:49 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 05, 2018, 10:24:00 AM

He is correct

I agree re not touching the format.
Hurling in the championship is like doing the iterations.
Galway didn't become good overnight. The process started in 2011
Wexford have also been working to a plan for a few years.

KK have a conveyor belt but thankfully are missing a 3 and a 6 ;)
These 3 teams are serious. Dublin have started again.
So 4 teams who put the effort in.
Offaly are a bit behind. 

Maybe in the knockout format they would get a 13 point hammering every year and accept it
I think the round robin exposes which teams are not operating at the right level in  fairly brutal fashion.
They have to perform at a higher level to stay in Leinster. So do Westmeath.

They're certainly missing a 3, but with Buckley they've got a pretty good 6 in place.

manfromdelmonte

Westmeath fail to beat Carlow in a final, again

I think the large pitch in Croke Park will suit them better as Carlow are a very big team
Carlow and Mullingar are two tight pitches

burdizzo

manfromdelmonte

burdizzo

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 12, 2018, 08:18:52 AM
Quote from: burdizzo on June 12, 2018, 07:42:45 AM
Portlaoise isn't.
westmeath played carlow in Netwatch park

Carlow destroyed Westmeath in the Division 2A final in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise, earlier this year. End of March/ start of April?