Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 25, 2014, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 25, 2014, 11:40:19 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 25, 2014, 11:37:09 AM
Connolly is a cert in that team.  Murphy shouldnt get a spot in midfield, be lucky enough to get a spot full stop.

Murphy will get an All Star, as will Donaghy. Non-finalists will make way, if necessary.  That's the way it always goes.

Spot on.  I would just love to see the all stars based on the best players in each position, irrespective of whether their team got to a Munster Semi and beat in the next qualifier.  Shane Walsh had a year that should see him get one but he obviously wont due to Galways early exit.

It's hard to judge players though when they haven't played against the best teams

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2014, 03:33:43 PM
I think Boyle deserves one more than O'Shea.

Yeah but the judges will find it easier to put O'Shea in the team than they would Boyler!

Keane

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 25, 2014, 03:47:25 PM
Yeah but the judges will find it easier to put O'Shea in the team than they would Boyler!

Don't think so - the half forward line is way more competitive than the half back line this year.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Keane on September 25, 2014, 03:59:57 PM

Don't think so - the half forward line is way more competitive than the half back line this year.

It is but Colm Boyle is not a name you hear mentioned much by any of the media heads usually involed in the selection commitee so I would say Murphy, Crowley and McGlynn will be the halfback line and if the give a second allstar to Mayo Aiden O' Shea would be higher up the list of the selection panel than Colm Boyle or any other Mayo candidate. I am not saying it is rigth but this would be my feeling on how it will pan out.

Syferus

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 25, 2014, 04:07:05 PM
Quote from: Keane on September 25, 2014, 03:59:57 PM

It is but Colm Boyle is not a name you hear mentioned much by any of the media heads usually involed in the selection commitee so I would say Murphy, Crowley and McGlynn will be the halfback line and if the give a second allstar to Mayo Aiden O' Shea would be higher up the list of the selection panel than Colm Boyle or any other Mayo candidate. I am not saying it is rigth but this would be my feeling on how it will pan out.

The Sunday Game rave about him. He's not coming in under any radar. Would be very surprised if he didn't get an All-Star.

blanketattack

I don't think Cillian O'Connor deserved one, he scored only 1-12 from play all season and the goal was from about 6 inches out. When you consider that was from 6 games including against opposition such as New York and Roscommon its not a great return. I'd have Paul Geaney for one above him. 2nd highest tally from play and a vital goal in the final.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: blanketattack on September 25, 2014, 07:38:21 PM
I don't think Cillian O'Connor deserved one, he scored only 1-12 from play all season and the goal was from about 6 inches out. When you consider that was from 6 games including against opposition such as New York and Roscommon its not a great return. I'd have Paul Geaney for one above him. 2nd highest tally from play and a vital goal in the final.

Totally agree, without dead ball scores Cillian O'Connor would have a very poor score average. He is slow and cumbersome to boot!

criostlinn

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on September 25, 2014, 08:38:33 PM

Totally agree, without dead ball scores Cillian O'Connor would have a very poor score average. He is slow and cumbersome to boot!
You do realise Paul Geaney scored only two points more then OConnor from play in the same amount of games.
For a lad who is slow and cumbersome, Enright had to resort to some strange tactics to stop him.

Wildweasel74

so we giving donaghy an allstar for playing 2 good games this year? hardly makes sense

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: criostlinn on September 25, 2014, 09:04:53 PM

You do realise Paul Geaney scored only two points more then OConnor from play in the same amount of games.
For a lad who is slow and cumbersome, Enright had to resort to some strange tactics to stop him.

In fairness Enright was pushed by O'Connor before he caught the ball!

Dont Matter

Durkan
O'Sé
McGee
Higgins
Murphy
Crowley
McGlynn
Moran
Gallagher
McHugh
Murphy
MacNiallais
O'Donoghue
Donaghy
Kingston
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 25, 2014, 09:11:53 PM
so we giving donaghy an allstar for playing 2 good games this year? hardly makes sense

The Big question is 'Would Kerry have won an AI without Donaghy this year?'

And it is 10 minutes of the first Semifinal. 90+ of the replayed Semifinal and all of the final. Was there a player with more influence on the pitch for the 170 odd minutes he played?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2014, 09:24:06 PM
Durkan
O'Sé
McGee
Higgins
Murphy
Crowley
McGlynn
Moran
Gallagher
McHugh
Murphy
MacNiallais
O'Donoghue
Donaghy
Kingston

Hughie Emerson, Leo Turley and Barney Maher are crazy omissions from this team.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dont Matter

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 25, 2014, 09:45:13 PM
Hughie Emerson, Leo Turley and Barney Maher are crazy omissions from this team.

I didn't want to get accused of bias but clearly they should be in along with Mick Lawlor, Goggie Delaney and big Georgie Doyle.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

criostlinn

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on September 25, 2014, 09:19:33 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on September 25, 2014, 09:04:53 PM

In fairness Enright was pushed by O'Connor before he caught the ball!

Ah right ted