Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Jaysus some serious whinging here.

Sure the players get a trip out of it, but they are brought around on fundraisers for the GAA. I'm sure there are plenty of ex-pats who are delighted to meet them and put their hands in their pockets.

Non All-Stars are needed to make up the numbers. That's about it with that conspiracy. Selection is probably down to the managers but I honestly don't know how it works.

As for the journalists criticising it as a piss-up. Well I have heard it all now. They are about the only ones paid to go on such a trip and I am certain they would be in the bars with the players.

I have a fairly reliable source that tells me he met them all and commented that the players were at one end of the building while the journalists were at the other, with apparently minimal interaction between the two. There was no obvious snubbing but it was easily  noticed that they weren't mixing, and this particularly stood out because the players were friendly and would chat to any Irish person that recognised them and said hello.
MWWSI 2017

DennistheMenace

I wouldn't have expected the players and journalists to mix anyway, why would they? They are outsiders, critics, usually a different generation so it's hardly a shock.

muppet

Quote from: DennistheMenace on December 02, 2014, 03:38:10 PM
I wouldn't have expected the players and journalists to mix anyway, why would they? They are outsiders, critics, usually a different generation so it's hardly a shock.

You wouldn't expect people who make a living writing about people to want to talk to those people when the opportunity arose?

Any why would they be 'outsiders, critics' or even want to be? Are they not most likely fans of the game and former players at some level themselves?
MWWSI 2017

DennistheMenace

Quote from: muppet on December 02, 2014, 03:45:20 PM

You wouldn't expect people who make a living writing about people to want to talk to those people when the opportunity arose?

Any why would they be 'outsiders, critics' or even want to be? Are they not most likely fans of the game and former players at some level themselves?

Plenty of capacity to do that on the job, I'd imagine being in a pub is downtime for both circles. Couldn't imagine players wanting to do an interview with a few drinks in them either and being very wary of what they said. Not to mention some of the negativity and dissolve in relationship with certain journalists / media this year.

muppet

Quote from: DennistheMenace on December 02, 2014, 03:48:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 02, 2014, 03:45:20 PM

Plenty of capacity to do that on the job, I'd imagine being in a pub is downtime for both circles. Couldn't imagine players wanting to do an interview with a few drinks in them either and being very wary of what they said. Not to mention some of the negativity and dissolve in relationship with certain journalists / media this year.

I think this is probably very close to the point.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on December 02, 2014, 03:19:55 PM

Sure the players get a trip out of it, but they are brought around on fundraisers for the GAA. I'm sure there are plenty of ex-pats who are delighted to meet them and put their hands in their pockets.

Non All-Stars are needed to make up the numbers. That's about it with that conspiracy. Selection is probably down to the managers but I honestly don't know how it works.

As for the journalists criticising it as a piss-up. Well I have heard it all now. They are about the only ones paid to go on such a trip and I am certain they would be in the bars with the players.

I have a fairly reliable source that tells me he met them all and commented that the players were at one end of the building while the journalists were at the other, with apparently minimal interaction between the two. There was no obvious snubbing but it was easily  noticed that they weren't mixing, and this particularly stood out because the players were friendly and would chat to any Irish person that recognised them and said hello.

That was never the case in the past - can't say about this year.

'Both sides' would mix freely.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on December 02, 2014, 06:43:15 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 02, 2014, 03:19:55 PM

That was never the case in the past - can't say about this year.

'Both sides' would mix freely.

It was this year, but may have been a one-off. They are over there for nearly a week and you would need to know whether or not it happened every night.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 02, 2014, 01:45:29 PM
The two Cavan lads were nominated last year. And so what if  it's just a session. Let them let their hair down after a huge effort they put in during the year. Some people just love being miserable.

Listen. These guys are getting an all expenses paid holiday. They are asked to do one game to promote the game. What I witnessed on TG4, well there would be more effort in an over 40s 5 a side at the local astro. I feel sorry for anyone who bothered attend.

Jinxy

Glad we didn't let any of our lads go now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Quote from: DennistheMenace on December 02, 2014, 09:16:35 AM
It just rubs me up the wrong way this farce, I'm all for the All-Stars getting a trip (even though non All-Stars seem to go every year) but these types of games are an embarrasment and no way reflect the intensity in our game.

Compare that rubbish to the International Rules, there is no comparison in enjoy, intensity, dedication and professionalism in all but name. Yet we hear much more of an outcry over it. Amazing.

What "All Star" game ever compares to the real thing?

Have you ever watched the NBA one? The dunk competition is about the most exciting thing about All Star weekend. For the NFL one, they take all the non-Superbowl players to Hawaii for it, but otherwise its an afterthought. Getting the award is the big thing. Baseball - the MLB ended up awarding home advantage in the World Series to the League which wins the game in a ludicrous attempt to generate interest and intensity.