Football All-Stars 2014

Started by Sidney, September 01, 2014, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: seafoid on October 08, 2014, 07:22:45 AM
The nominations are out.

GOALKEEPERS: Paul Durcan (Donegal), Rory Beggan (Monaghan), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin).

FULL BACKS: Paul Murphy (Kerry), Fionn Fitzgerald (Kerry), Eamonn McGee (Donegal), Neil McGee (Donegal), Philip McMahon (Dublin), Rory O'Carroll (Dublin), Keith Higgins (Mayo), Andy Mallon (Armagh), Drew Wylie (Monaghan).

HALF-BACKS: Aidan O'Mahony (Kerry), Peter Crowley (Kerry), Colm Boyle (Mayo), Lee Keegan (Mayo), James McCarthy (Dublin), Johnny Cooper (Dublin), Frank McGlynn (Donegal), Dessie Mone (Monaghan), Colin O'Riordan (Tipperary).

MIDFIELD: David Moran (Kerry), Anthony Maher (Kerry), Neil Gallagher (Donegal), Odhran MacNiallais (Donegal), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin), Seamus O'Shea (Mayo).

HALF-FORWARDS: Johnny Buckley (Kerry), Donnchadh Walsh (Kerry), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Paul Flynn (Dublin), Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Shane Walsh (Galway), Mark Lynch (Derry), Aidan O'Shea (Mayo).

FULL FORWARD: Kieran Donaghy (Kerry), James O'Donoghue (Kerry, right), Paul Geaney (Kerry), Cillian O'Connor (Mayo), Conor McManus (Monaghan), Brian Hurley (Cork), Kevin McManamon (Dublin), Tony Kernan (Armagh), Patrick McBrearty (Donegal).

Of the also rans, Armagh, Galway, Tipp, Monaghan and Derry all got a pat on the head.   
Meath are obviously not at that sub level yet. It is a cruel fuball world.

Forgot the nominations for player and young player of the year.

Player of the Year Nominations: James O'Donoghue (Kerry), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Neil McGee (Donegal).

Young Player of the Year Nominations: Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Shane Walsh (Galway), Paddy McBrearty (Donegal).

GalwayBayBoy

By the way why is Murphy included in the half-forward line? I'm guessing it's to clear a path for Donaghy so both can be picked?

Put Up That Flag

:o Syferus I am confused, where are the awesome Rossies on this nomination list that you are constantly talking shi*e about, where is the mighty Cregger, Shiner, Kilbrider, Higginser, Collinser, etc? I have a feeling we won't get any response from ya until the fbd is getting into full swing again and all these lads will be the greatest ever again  ;D

Jinxy

This craic of moving players around the field to fit them in is a joke.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: J70 on October 08, 2014, 12:37:27 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 08, 2014, 09:27:00 AM
Some selection in the half forward line now with Murphy there. As a consequence I don't think McHugh or O'Shea will get one now. All set up for Donaghy to sneak one in the full forward line, the same way he took the play of the year gong off Darragh O Se in 06.

Donaghy deserves it.

McHugh might get young player of year instead, like Michael Murphy and Cillian O'Connor before him.

Of the nine players listed in the ff line, yes, he would be one of my three. However McHugh, who will probably lose out now in the hf line, deserves one more. Good call that he will probably get the YPOTY but that's another cop out by the selection committae.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Canalman

Quote from: Rossfan on October 08, 2014, 11:37:09 AM
Do many people take this daftness seriously any more?
I don't anyway.

Alot of people and players do Rossfan. I suspect that if  (hopefully when)  there comes a time that there are Roscommon players in the running for one so will you and rightly so.

As for McHugh I would personally class an allstar way above a YPOTY .

Will definitely be one player of those nominated in the half forward line rightly and genuinely aggrieved at not getting the nod.

Think Monaghan keeper will sneak the award in a to be honest less than glowing year for keepers.

Keane

Donaghy probably had more minutes at full forward than Michael Murphy this year.

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 08, 2014, 01:31:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 08, 2014, 07:22:45 AM
The nominations are out.

GOALKEEPERS: Paul Durcan (Donegal), Rory Beggan (Monaghan), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin).

FULL BACKS: Paul Murphy (Kerry), Fionn Fitzgerald (Kerry), Eamonn McGee (Donegal), Neil McGee (Donegal), Philip McMahon (Dublin), Rory O'Carroll (Dublin), Keith Higgins (Mayo), Andy Mallon (Armagh), Drew Wylie (Monaghan).

HALF-BACKS: Aidan O'Mahony (Kerry), Peter Crowley (Kerry), Colm Boyle (Mayo), Lee Keegan (Mayo), James McCarthy (Dublin), Johnny Cooper (Dublin), Frank McGlynn (Donegal), Dessie Mone (Monaghan), Colin O'Riordan (Tipperary).

MIDFIELD: David Moran (Kerry), Anthony Maher (Kerry), Neil Gallagher (Donegal), Odhran MacNiallais (Donegal), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin), Seamus O'Shea (Mayo).

HALF-FORWARDS: Johnny Buckley (Kerry), Donnchadh Walsh (Kerry), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Paul Flynn (Dublin), Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Shane Walsh (Galway), Mark Lynch (Derry), Aidan O'Shea (Mayo).

FULL FORWARD: Kieran Donaghy (Kerry), James O'Donoghue (Kerry, right), Paul Geaney (Kerry), Cillian O'Connor (Mayo), Conor McManus (Monaghan), Brian Hurley (Cork), Kevin McManamon (Dublin), Tony Kernan (Armagh), Patrick McBrearty (Donegal).

Of the also rans, Armagh, Galway, Tipp, Monaghan and Derry all got a pat on the head.   
Meath are obviously not at that sub level yet. It is a cruel fuball world.

Forgot the nominations for player and young player of the year.

Player of the Year Nominations: James O'Donoghue (Kerry), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Neil McGee (Donegal).

Young Player of the Year Nominations: Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Shane Walsh (Galway), Paddy McBrearty (Donegal).

Wow, Neil McGee with a nomination! Wasn't expecting that. Fair fucks, And well deserved.

O'Donoghue's award though.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on October 08, 2014, 01:57:50 PM

they should have 12 slots for  defenders and 3 for scoring forwards and dump the current classification

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jinxy on October 08, 2014, 01:57:50 PM
It is, but this isn't the first year it's been done.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ck

Goalkeeper is the hardest one to call. Not often the All-Ireland winning team doesn't have its goalkeeper even nominated

Never beat the deeler

I would think the three nominees for POTY will each get one. Conversely, I think Ryan McHugh has been nominated as YPOTY as he will not get an All Star. My best guess at how they will go:

P Durcan
P Murphy, E McGee, K Higgins
P Crowley, F McGlynn, C Boyle
D Moran, N Gallagher
D Connolly, M Murphy, P Flynn
J O'Donoghue, K Donaghy, C O'Connor

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

Unlucky to miss out: A Mallon, R McHugh, A O'Shea, R Beggan
Hasta la victoria siempre

blanketattack

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 09, 2014, 09:17:18 AM
I would think the three nominees for POTY will each get one. Conversely, I think Ryan McHugh has been nominated as YPOTY as he will not get an All Star. My best guess at how they will go:

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

I'd have N McGee there.
One player unlucky to lose out again is Donnacha Walsh. Has done immense work, carrying the ball and winning dirty ball. One of Kerry's star and key players, but because its not glamorous work, he'll get overlooked. Had a decent chance til Murphy was moved to the half forwards. Donnacha Walsh far more deserving of an All Star than Diarmuid Connolly imo.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: blanketattack on October 09, 2014, 09:50:05 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 09, 2014, 09:17:18 AM

P Durcan
D Moran, N Gallagher

POTY JO'D
YPOTY R McHugh

I'd have N McGee there.
One player unlucky to lose out again is Donnacha Walsh. Has done immense work, carrying the ball and winning dirty ball. One of Kerry's star and key players, but because its not glamorous work, he'll get overlooked. Had a decent chance til Murphy was moved to the half forwards. Donnacha Walsh far more deserving of an All Star than Diarmuid Connolly imo.

With P Murphy selected in the FB line, who do you think would lose out for N McGee? And I agree with what you are saying about Walsh, however the way the nominations were made (with Connolly nominated for POTY and Murphy nominated in the HF line) I can't see Walsh getting one, though stranger things have happened.
Hasta la victoria siempre