Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

behind the wire

costs £14.95. its in the early hours, not sure exactly what time the main feature usually starts but id say it will be around 2 or 2.30.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

whiskeysteve

will def watch it. havent look forward to a fight as much maybe ever. don't think ive ever wanted to say an English sports victory as strongly before
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

glens73

Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 22, 2007, 12:16:26 PM
how much will it cost and what time will it start (the main event that is, not the coverage)?

Hatton v Mayweather will start around 4.00 in the morning.

glens73

Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 22, 2007, 12:42:34 PM
will def watch it. havent look forward to a fight as much maybe ever. don't think ive ever wanted to say an English sports victory as strongly before

I'd agree, I wasn't disappointed with the football last night, but I'd like to see Hatton win and he'll certainly give it everything he's got. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins. If Mayweather fights like he did against De La Hoya he will get beat, Hatton will put too much pressure on him.

bombidal

i'll be buying it no matter what the cost. Mayweather easily on pts though I think. Just a better boxer. Eamon Magee flooring hatton still leaves me with doubts over him.

What do you guys make of David Haye ? Basically best crusierweight in the world now, and stepping up to heavy... is he the real deal ?
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

glens73

Haye is seriously good offensively, very accurate and fast puncher.

However, I think he may be a bit chinny.

Doogie Browser

Did anyone see the first part of the build up on Sky last night?  They are doing 4 preview shows in the run up to the fight narrated by the American man who does those class intros for all the big fights.  The hype has got me hooked and i will certainly pay the £14.95, plenty of footage of Hatton in his trainer's gym, Billy 'the Preacher' Graham - his is some operator, he is a chain smoking Salford man who looks as hard as nails (real street fighter material).  Hatton comes across as very likeable and down to earth, but he seems too keen to project the 'I have not forgotten where I came from' mantra.  Mayweather is an absolute t*t, though his class as a boxer is not in question, but he is Kanye West's half brother in waiting!
Incidentally the Sunday Times Magazie had a great interview with Hatton last week, well worth reading, apparently Rooney or Beckham will carry his belt into the ring subject to their availability (if it was next June they could both do it!!).
Just hope the fight lives up to expectations.

whiskeysteve

dont know about that doogie, read an article on the bbc website where Hatton said he wouldn't have any belts brought to the ring, so as he could 'feel like the challenger'
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Doogie Browser

I can see where he is coming from with that alright steve, but I was only replicating what I read.  But that would be much better as Mayweather is very flash and sure to have a massive entourage with him, if Hatton keeps it simple would be less distractions.  Think Hatton is 2/1 with a lot of the bookies is this accurate and more importantly has he got much of a chance against Mayweather's class?

glens73

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 22, 2007, 02:07:59 PM
I can see where he is coming from with that alright steve, but I was only replicating what I read.  But that would be much better as Mayweather is very flash and sure to have a massive entourage with him, if Hatton keeps it simple would be less distractions.  Think Hatton is 2/1 with a lot of the bookies is this accurate and more importantly has he got much of a chance against Mayweather's class?

I think Hatton has an excellent chance. He is a lot more skilled than people give him credit for. Mayweather hasn't ko'd anyone for a long time, he won't be able to significantly hurt Hatton unlike Kostya Tzsyu, who if he had connected properly could have ko'd him. Hatton will be on top of him for the entire fight and won't let him breathe. I think it'll be a lot tighter than some people think, is probably a certainty to go the distance.

thebandit

Ach this isn't as good as the bodybuilding thread!!!

full back

Quote from: glens73 on November 22, 2007, 03:05:47 PM
is probably a certainty to go the distance.

Nice one glens :D

The 2/1 on Hatton is probably just too big
Mayweather is a class act, but as stated before Hatton will be at him from the very start, constantly coming forward & giving him no rest at all. If Hatton can keep at him for the 1st 6/7 rounds an upset could be on the cards towards the end of the fight IMHO

glens73

Quote from: full back on November 22, 2007, 03:15:58 PM
Quote from: glens73 on November 22, 2007, 03:05:47 PM
is probably a certainty to go the distance.

Nice one glens :D

The 2/1 on Hatton is probably just too big
Mayweather is a class act, but as stated before Hatton will be at him from the very start, constantly coming forward & giving him no rest at all. If Hatton can keep at him for the 1st 6/7 rounds an upset could be on the cards towards the end of the fight IMHO

Didn't even notice that fullback, had to read it back a couple of times.  :D

I really hope Hatton does ko him, he's never be the same cocksure arrogant fecker again.

Norf Tyrone

My brother was in a bar in Spain about 6,7 years ago playing pool when a coupe of lads put a few quid on the table. My bro was with his  girlfriend and there was very few other people around. They finnished their game, and told the other lads to play on. One of the boys waiting said...

"You own the table, so I'll pay if you want a game"

My brother said no problem, and ended up playing for a hour or so with, having the craic. He said they were 'sound'. After half an hour, this girl walks in and asks one of the guys for an autograph. Strange he thinks...

A wee while later....it happens again.

Eventually after half-a-dozen autograph hunters, photographs etc. the guy doing the signing heads to the toilet. My brother asks his mate 'who's yer man?'

'That's Ricky..he does a wee bit of boxing back home'.

My brother thought nothing of it, as he was so down to earth.

With this attitude....I say....come on Ricky!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rav67

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Hatton stands a chance against Mayweather. Hopefully even if he does get beat he'll put up a good fight though and get another big pay-day against Mayweather again or Cotto.