Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

laoislad

I can't wait for it all to be over whatever the outcome.
Saying that I've decided I'll be voting No.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Esmarelda

I've almost managed to stay clear from the debate, but slipped up when I saw a small bit of The Late Late Show.

I am, and was always, voting yes but I had recently come slightly towards the middle. The No side on the Late Late Show set me right though.

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 01, 2018, 05:59:31 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 01, 2018, 04:58:13 PM
Both sides are spreading bvllshit, but the No side seem to have an huge edge in that regard

The  "In Her Shoes" page had a whopper just this past week where a featured posters story completely contradicted what she had posted on social media when she was pregnant
You can provide a link to this of course?

Because you wouldn't want to have a reputation for just spouting nonsense - not that I'm saying you have, not at all...  ;D

Haha.....not at all

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/heart-patient-unable-to-get-abortion-as-life-not-at-immediate-risk-1.3475728

This article was shared on the "in her shoes" facebook page (which I follow)

The rebuttal was posted by Gerald Allen on the "repeal vrs save the 8th debate" facebook page (which I also follow) on April 27th.

(The "debate" page is no such thing.....its firmly NO page. I had originally liked it thinking I was going to hear 2 reasonable sides to the argument)

Syferus

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2018, 06:22:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 04:44:27 PM

You're an insufferable twàt to suggest people voted Yes to stick it to the church from your birds eye view of modern Ireland over in America.

The fact you call it surprising shows how massively out of touch you are with this country.

There's no need for that.

I would agree in most cases. In this case it's absolutely appropriate given what was said and knowing that poster's attitude towards both the church and social progress. To diminish the same sex marriage vote to the degree that you see it as a public railing against the church, all from the distance of America takes a serious level of hubris.

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 06:57:57 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 01, 2018, 06:22:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 04:44:27 PM

You're an insufferable twàt to suggest people voted Yes to stick it to the church from your birds eye view of modern Ireland over in America.

The fact you call it surprising shows how massively out of touch you are with this country.

There's no need for that.

I would agree in most cases. In this case it's absolutely appropriate given what was said and knowing that poster's attitude towards both the church and social progress. To diminish the same sex marriage vote to the degree that you see it as a public railing against the church, all from the distance of America takes a serious level of hubris.

Your own county men and women didnt exactly cover themselves in glory during the Marriage referendum

Hardy

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 03:56:33 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 01, 2018, 03:43:58 PM
There seems to be quite a large undecided cohort - perhaps include that option in the poll?

Is there, really? Some may say that but I think this is an issue most people know from a long way out what way they're voting.

Sorry for delayed response:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/poll-finds-a-fifth-undecided-on-abortion-referendum-both-sides-welcome-findings-838297.html

Rossfan

Hmmmm mm. ....
GAA boarders  who have a vote going 44% No, 38% Yes and 18% Undecided.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on May 01, 2018, 07:11:54 PM
There seems to be quite a large undecided cohort - perhaps include that option in the poll?

Is there, really? Some may say that but I think this is an issue most people know from a long way out what way they're voting.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/poll-finds-a-fifth-undecided-on-abortion-referendum-both-sides-welcome-findings-838297.html

I get that there are high reported undecided voters but I'd seriously question if a lot don't know already which way they'll go.

Change is in the air and I think a lot of the undecideds are No voters who don't have the courage to express their convictions, which in itself would tell you a little about the what likely result will be.

Boycey

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 07:24:31 PM

I get that there are high reported undecided voters but I'd seriously question if a lot don't know already which way they'll go.

Change is in the air and I think a lot of the undecideds are No voters who don't have the courage to express their convictions, which in itself would tell you a little about the what likely result will be.

I think no voters are the most likely to express their convictions.

Baile an tuaigh

The most precious possession you have in this world is your own people. If given the option I would most definitely vote no. My wife and I were unable to have children so we adopted. One of our youngsters birth mom was raped. We now have one of our greatest gifts. Loves to play hurling, sing, play soccer, Irish dance play guitar you name it he's trying his hand at it. This little man is so handsome and kind he makes life worth living. We couldn't imagine life without our wee ones.

GJL

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on May 01, 2018, 09:27:48 PM
The most precious possession you have in this world is your own people. If given the option I would most definitely vote no. My wife and I were unable to have children so we adopted. One of our youngsters birth mom was raped. We now have one of our greatest gifts. Loves to play hurling, sing, play soccer, Irish dance play guitar you name it he's trying his hand at it. This little man is so handsome and kind he makes life worth living. We couldn't imagine life without our wee ones.

Brilliant post. Vote No.

Syferus

Quote from: Boycey on May 01, 2018, 08:59:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 07:24:31 PM

I think no voters are the most likely to express their convictions.

You'd be very wrong if you think most who are voting Yes isn't very loud and very proud of their choice. We've been waiting for a very long time to change this law.

We've had the legislation No voters want for the entire history of the State; we know it doesn't work. Time to try something new.

And if, as I suspect, Ireland agrees with me then there's little chance of it ever being reversed because the benefits to society and to people will be impossible to ignore. If No wins it will only delay progress and we will be back at the polls within a decade.

Milltown Row2

Who's the we?? Won't have any difference on your life, unless  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2018, 09:55:36 PM
Who's the we?? Won't have any difference on your life, unless  :o

Syf or any man might marry or settle down with a woman (maybe he already is). His potential future partner/present partner may at some stage have complications during pregnancy. That's how.

Edit to add that I wouldn't wish the above on any couple.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gabriel_Hurl

Can't vote - but I'd be voting yes if I could