DNA testing

Started by Aerlik, February 16, 2013, 03:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Muppet which package did you select?

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 13, 2013, 10:35:44 PM

Can't remember the package but have Y markers up to 67 and some mtDNA results that I have to figure out.

Spent a little over $250 and found out I am Irish.

I need someone to lead me by the hand through this.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on June 13, 2013, 11:31:41 PM

Can't remember the package but have Y markers up to 67 and some mtDNA results that I have to figure out.

I would have assumed they would give you a full assessment report in layman's terms. Doesn't sound like it!

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 13, 2013, 11:36:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 13, 2013, 11:31:41 PM

I would have assumed they would give you a full assessment report in layman's terms. Doesn't sound like it!

No, but some very detailed reports.

I have been browsing forums for a few days and in fairness it does looks interesting. The more people that do the tests the more matches they will be able to make, obviously.

The matches I got make no sense (e.g why would my father's, fathers' etc line have common ancestors with two different names, neither of which are close to mine?).
MWWSI 2017

FL/MAYO

I just received my DNA results back from Ancestry.com, 100% Irish/Scotland /Wales. I was hoping for a little bit of adventure from one of my forefathers, Connaught and parts of Munster is as far they ventured,  I am a little disappointed  :)

The Iceman

5% Iberia peninsula...95% Irish
The 5% would have to be a full Spaniard not too far back but nobody knows. You would know to look at some members of the family.

There is a wealth of research out there and lots of people looking for long lost relatives. My Dad built out a family tree on his side of the house going back 200 years or more. He used myheritage.com and some local research at the library and town hall for births, deaths and marriages. Great to have.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Square Ball

My niece has done our family tree back 4 generations and were seeing who will take the plunge and do the DNA test. Found out great granda was murdered in Canada in 1931 when he was attacked with a post hole digger. Trying to find out who and was the murderer captured. 
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DickyRock

Would love to do this but I'm not comfortable handing over deeply personal data. Imagine the outrage if governments made people give DNA samples yet like we do with the rest of the data we happily hand over to private companies intimate details of our lives; photos, where we have been, what we have bought, who we interact with etc.