Lurgan

Started by seafoid, March 02, 2017, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: JimStynes on March 07, 2017, 12:56:39 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 06, 2017, 09:21:45 PM
Caffola's marshmallow and ice cream is unreal.
Big or the wee caffola's for ice cream? That's the big question!!

I'm a wee caffola's man myself but wouldnt be disappointed with either

The Gs Man

Tell ye what lads, not too many other towns have a dedicated thread on the GAA Board.

I'm taking that as a compliment!
Keep 'er lit

Eamonnca1

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 07, 2017, 02:16:04 PM
I heard someone say there are good cafes in Lurgan but I would say the opposite was true.  There is the like of Caffola's and a few others that only really serve chip based meals, and none of them are great.  No real cafes where you can get nice stew, lasagnes, Spaghetti Bolognese etc.

Palomo's cafe is a good spot.

Remember the Cosy Corner eating house that Francie McAlinden used to run? Later he got into the funeral business. They reckon he should have called it "cosy coffins!"

JimStynes

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 07, 2017, 05:11:46 PM
I heard someone say there are good cafes in Lurgan but I would say the opposite was true.  There is the like of Caffola's and a few others that only really serve chip based meals, and none of them are great.  No real cafes where you can get nice stew, lasagnes, Spaghetti Bolognese etc.

Remember the Cosy Corner eating house that Francie McAlinden used to run? Later he got into the funeral business. They reckon he should have called it "cosy coffins!"

Cafe vibe and unch aren't too bad either. The new place Cajan is quite good too if you're looking for something healthy. Someone said there are no good chippys, try smugglers! Very nice and good portions. I've never really tried any of the food places in the other end of town sort from maloneys.

LurganHoop

Lurgan has plenty of nice cafes if you are after a decent breakfast, lunch or just a coffee - I am thinking of the likes of Palomo, Vibe, Kitchen, Coopers, New Haven to name a few. Also there are a few good spots for a Sunday lunch like The Cellar, Vintage, Woodville and the Gold Club all of which are quite reasonable. What is missing is a good restaurant for an evening meal - there area few close by in Moira and Portadown has Zio's which is second to none, so there might not be enough of a market to keep a good restaurant unfortunately. Being so close to Belfast may not help either.

For all the negative press Lurgan gets, I think it's a great town! Obviously there is an issue with public drunkenness late in the weekend - but what town in Ireland doesn't? I don't go out as often as I used to but it was unusual to see any fighting in Lurgan on a night out - this might have changed now. Would always have been more chance of trouble in the likes of Newry & Cookstown - probably because there would have been buses from other towns. When you mix a load of young fellas from different towns in the one place there can always be trouble so that is in no way a criticism of Cookstown & Newry!

The good points about the town i.e. the abundance of GAA & other sporting activities available are well covered here. Lurgan Park is second to none also.

T Fearon

Visited the Lord Lurgan Park last Sunday around lunchtime to reminisce about football playing days.Cop car in side street where I parked,and a second one joined it.Walked up into the park,wer bald man walking a greyhound says to me "is that the cops down there?" That sums Lurgan upJust not normal!

Take Your Points

What about the Silverwood Hotel? Anyone remember it?

lurganblue

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 08, 2017, 09:46:23 AM
What about the Silverwood Hotel? Anyone remember it?

do surely. late night pints after the Ashburn

The Gs Man

Topaz nite club.

I remember getting a big carry-out there one night but they'd no carrier bags to put it in so I told them to just pour it into two buckets.
Keep 'er lit

nrico2006

Quote from: LurganHoop on March 08, 2017, 08:36:59 AM
Lurgan has plenty of nice cafes if you are after a decent breakfast, lunch or just a coffee - I am thinking of the likes of Palomo, Vibe, Kitchen, Coopers, New Haven to name a few. Also there are a few good spots for a Sunday lunch like The Cellar, Vintage, Woodville and the Gold Club all of which are quite reasonable. What is missing is a good restaurant for an evening meal - there area few close by in Moira and Portadown has Zio's which is second to none, so there might not be enough of a market to keep a good restaurant unfortunately. Being so close to Belfast may not help either.

For all the negative press Lurgan gets, I think it's a great town! Obviously there is an issue with public drunkenness late in the weekend - but what town in Ireland doesn't? I don't go out as often as I used to but it was unusual to see any fighting in Lurgan on a night out - this might have changed now. Would always have been more chance of trouble in the likes of Newry & Cookstown - probably because there would have been buses from other towns. When you mix a load of young fellas from different towns in the one place there can always be trouble so that is in no way a criticism of Cookstown & Newry!

The good points about the town i.e. the abundance of GAA & other sporting activities available are well covered here. Lurgan Park is second to none also.

The one thing that is different in Lurgan on a night out is the lack of fights.  In Strabane, Derry or Letterkenny all that you see on anight iout are fights in pubs/clubs and outside too.  Lurgan is great in comparison.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

illdecide

So there you have it...Lurgan is top notch ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Eamonnca1

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 08, 2017, 11:00:07 AM
Topaz nite club.

I remember getting a big carry-out there one night but they'd no carrier bags to put it in so I told them to just pour it into two buckets.

It was the divil's job getting home from that place. People would get fed up with the lack of taxis and abuse the taxi drivers that did show up. So the taxi drivers hated going to the place. We just walked up the town for taxis when we were done. They even put a bus on at one point but I'd hate to be the man driving it.

Don Johnson

Quote from: JimStynes on March 07, 2017, 07:35:43 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 07, 2017, 05:11:46 PM

Cafe vibe and unch aren't too bad either. The new place Cajan is quite good too if you're looking for something healthy. Someone said there are no good chippys, try smugglers! Very nice and good portions. I've never really tried any of the food places in the other end of town sort from maloneys.

Unch is closed now. Kitchen is the best spot now in the town for feeds.

As for the ice cream, it is definitely the wee Cafollas. Wee Cafollas is better than the big for everything in fact, and the prices reflect that.

JimStynes

You would be a bit of a local celebrity about town Don!

Don Johnson