Micko the Great/Legend/Cute hoor returning to Laois?

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 21, 2010, 04:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Can't see it happening myself but I would be very happy if it did.

Support has grown for Mick O'Dwyer to return as Laois manager

Published Date:
21 July 2010
Leinster Express

Mick O'Dwyer could be in line for a dramatic return to Laois after he was nominated for the vacant senior football manager's position last week.
Former county board chairman Dick Miller, who was at the helm during O'Dwyer's previous spell with Laois from 2003 to 2006, has put O'Dwyer's name forward for consideration and his views have been backed up by Joe O'Dwyer, another prominent county board official during that successful four-year period.

"I've put Micko's name to one of the executive," said Miller, "and I've no problem offering my support for him. His record in Laois speaks for itself and we haven't been anywhere near the same level since he left. He created a great stir around the place and I reckon he'd do the same again if he came back. It needs a lift again."

"I'd welcome Micko back with open arms," added Joe O'Dwyer, the former football board chairman. "We'd great times under him and he got an awful lot out of the players. I'd have no problem supporting him and I think it would improve Laois again if he came back.

"Having said that, we can blame managers and the county board but the players have to step up to it. If you look at any of the teams going well, they all have leaders and Laois don't have that at the moment. If that doesn't change, it doesn't matter who's in charge."

Mick O'Dwyer declined to comment when contacted by the Leinster Express but he has said that while he won't be continuing with Wicklow for another year, he is keen to remain in inter-county management.

The Kerryman has returned to a previous managerial position before when he went back to Kildare in 1997 after a two-year break. He managed Kildare from 1991 to 1994 when they reached two Leinster finals and a league decider but stepped down after the 1994 championship. He returned however in 1997 and helped Kildare to Leinster glory in 1998 and 2000 and remained in charge until 2002 before switching to Laois.

He brought Laois immediate success in 2003 with the county's first Leinster title in 57 years and guided them to further provincial finals in 2004 and 2005 before stepping down after the 2006 championship exit to Mayo. During his four years in charge Laois reached three All Ireland quarter-finals while since his departure, they have exited the championship at a stage earlier every year, culminating in this year's first round qualifier loss to Tipperary.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

orangeman

Donnellys Hollow

What next?

Colm Parkinson to run for the Dáil?

Micko did come back to Kildare in '97 after the late great Dermot Earley's two years in charge. I very much doubt Micko will ever go back to Laois given how he was treated at the end though. I'm sure he's having a good chuckle to himself reading that story down in Waterville.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Didn't Micko lose his teeth the last time he managed Laois
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Konica

Quote from: ross4life on July 21, 2010, 04:21:52 PM
Didn't Micko lose his teeth the last time he managed Laois
Lol ... that was a great photo indeed!

The Konica

- The recession in Laois must be over
- Fair play to him if he does go back
- Laois could do alot worse than Micko
- I hope I have half his energy when I reach his age

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Qwerty28

Nice one Jinxy, took the words right out of my mouth!!

Dinny Breen

Sure at Micko's age short summers are exactly what he needs
#newbridgeornowhere

The Real Laoislad

Rumours now that Seamus McEnaney is going to be approached to become new Laois manager
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Konica

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 27, 2010, 10:02:55 AM
Rumours now that Seamus McEnaney is going to be approached to become new Laois manager
Could do worse

cornafean

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 27, 2010, 10:02:55 AM

Is it April Fools Day?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

JMohan

It sounds absolutely crazy when I heard it first, but might not be a bad move for both actually.
Banty probably deserves a crack at another team and someone like him would be a good man to start rebuilding Laois, like he did with Monaghan.
What would a spin from Carrickmacross to Portlaoise be? 3 hours? 

armaghniac

QuoteWhat would a spin from Carrickmacross to Portlaoise be? 3 hours? 

Not every that, 2:15 or so.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B