Good article detailing Dublin's unfair funding advantage

Started by TheMaster, February 13, 2019, 07:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 05, 2019, 01:55:26 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/philly-mcmahons-message-for-dublins-rivals-stop-complaining-about-us-and-start-competing-908744.html

Critics point out that Dublin GAA receives by far the highest coaching funding from Croke Park despite having their own commercial department and being in a position to strike lucrative sponsorship deals no other county can.

"I didn't see all this money, I didn't get any money," said McMahon. "What money did I get from that, from the figures that have been going around? I got Paddy Christie coming to my school, taking me out of class, and telling me to come up and train in Poppintree Park. That's what I got!

Not even the Dublin players understand the imbalance in funding compared to other counties

Dubs just can't win. If for example he'd said funding was unfair you'd have everyone moaning about him/dubs as well only it would be along the lines of even Philly thinks funding is unfair etc. Big bad dublin booooooooooo

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: dublin7 on March 05, 2019, 03:45:42 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/philly-mcmahons-message-for-dublins-rivals-stop-complaining-about-us-and-start-competing-908744.html

Critics point out that Dublin GAA receives by far the highest coaching funding from Croke Park despite having their own commercial department and being in a position to strike lucrative sponsorship deals no other county can.

"I didn't see all this money, I didn't get any money," said McMahon. "What money did I get from that, from the figures that have been going around? I got Paddy Christie coming to my school, taking me out of class, and telling me to come up and train in Poppintree Park. That's what I got!

Not even the Dublin players understand the imbalance in funding compared to other counties

Dubs just can't win. If for example he'd said funding was unfair you'd have everyone moaning about him/dubs as well only it would be along the lines of even Philly thinks funding is unfair etc. Big bad dublin booooooooooo

What do the angry brigade think he was going to say?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 05, 2019, 03:54:48 PM

It'd be fairer if every county was given access to funding

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 05, 2019, 04:02:22 PM

They are, and every county gets it. Dont let facts get in the way of tired loser talk.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 05, 2019, 08:12:13 PM

They are, and every county gets it. Dont let facts get in the way of tired loser talk.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

thebackbar1

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 05, 2019, 08:12:13 PM

OK, I'm part of a large urban club how do I get access to 50% funding for a gpo?

Hound

The point is that the games development funding didn't go anywhere near the likes of Philly and his ilk. It was volunteer members who gave him all his coaching.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Hound on March 06, 2019, 12:33:42 PM

The point is that the games development funding didn't go anywhere near the likes of Philly and his ilk. It was volunteer members who gave him all his coaching.
What magic fairy provided the funding for all the paid coaches in the schools and clubs, who also take coaching sessions with development squads

TheGreatest

+1

some people don't want to hear it though.

Hound

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 06, 2019, 12:42:25 PM

What magic fairy provided the funding for all the paid coaches in the schools and clubs, who also take coaching sessions with development squads
Games development coaches do not take Dublin development squads! Outright lie, again.

Dublin development squads are taken by unpaid ex-Dubs players mostly, e.g. when my lad was involved a couple of years ago (for a very short time!) Stephen O'Shaughnessy, Declan Lally, David Henry were among the coaches. Ciaran Whelan and Paddy Christie used to be involved. And many more.

Outside GDO's taking 4-8 year olds who aren't on teams, if you wanna get paid for coaching in Dublin, become manager of a Senior Division 1 or 2 team (preferably not your own club). Same shite that goes on in many/most counties.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Hound on March 06, 2019, 05:06:24 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 06, 2019, 12:42:25 PM

Games development coaches do not take Dublin development squads! Outright lie, again.

Dublin development squads are taken by unpaid ex-Dubs players mostly, e.g. when my lad was involved a couple of years ago (for a very short time!) Stephen O'Shaughnessy, Declan Lally, David Henry were among the coaches. Ciaran Whelan and Paddy Christie used to be involved. And many more.

Outside GDO's taking 4-8 year olds who aren't on teams, if you wanna get paid for coaching in Dublin, become manager of a Senior Division 1 or 2 team (preferably not your own club). Same shite that goes on in many/most counties.

Too much truth. They wont be able to handle it.

From the Bunker

Lads if ye are getting all this money and it is not going towards coaching the likes of an underage (and Adult) Philly and it is not going towards the repayments on a stadium, not going towards a centre of excellence, not going on travelling expenses for players? Where are all these huge amounts of money going?

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 07, 2019, 09:33:10 AM
Lads if ye are getting all this money and it is not going towards coaching the likes of an underage (and Adult) Philly and it is not going towards the repayments on a stadium, not going towards a centre of excellence, not going on travelling expenses for players? Where are all these huge amounts of money going?

I would say the majority goes to GDO salaries, but I am not certain of the make up of the distribution of the development money.

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 07, 2019, 09:33:10 AM
90 coaches by €14,000 is approx the Games Development Funds that Dublin receives each year.

And for avoidance of doubt, of course the senior team is well looked after in terms of meals, gear, paid staff looking after them (dieticians etc), but this is funded by AIG and other sponsorship type money and the general funding from GAA that everyone gets. Allocation of sponsorship funding is a completely different question.

But the Games Development Funds is a complete red herring in terms of coming up with reasons why Dublin are dominant.

Fuzzman

Read this on the RTE website in an article about young Sean O'Shea

"Currans (Kerry's centre of excellence) has been a focal points for all of the players, especially for the development squads.

"Their gym is there, the pitches are there, they have their food there. It makes a big, big difference.

Just got me thinking what food do the players receive now around the country. I heard a few years ago the Dubs get all their good quality food given to them for free. Does anyone know what exactly this entails? I mean does Tesco deliver to them every week and what do they get or is it just meals after a training session?