Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dearg

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2021, 05:25:01 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 13, 2021, 12:14:26 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2021, 10:34:28 AM
Quote from: laoislad on February 13, 2021, 09:58:14 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2021, 09:49:56 AM
I have zero interest in cycling outdoors but have had some interest in this Zwift carryon for fitness reasons. Could you run a mountain bike on one of those smart turbo trainers as the eldest fella got a new bike there and the old one is in good nick.
If you got a wheel on turbo trainer then I'd assume you'd have to change out the tyre on the mountain bike to a training wheel tyre.
You could stick your trainer in the post as it doesn't look as if you are using it.
Just go and buy one ya cheap fecker  ;D
€800!  :o I wouldn't spend that on a bike never mind something to attach a bike to!
There's plenty of cheaper options when it comes to turbo trainers. You could pick one up for as cheap as €50. I remember Aldi were selling them a while back for around that price.If you want to get a smart enabled one you should still get one for around €300

laoislad

I have zero interest in cycling outdoors but have had some interest in this Zwift carryon for fitness reasons. Could you run a mountain bike on one of those smart turbo trainers as the eldest fella got a new bike there and the old one is in good nick.
If you got a wheel on turbo trainer then I'd assume you'd have to change out the tyre on the mountain bike to a training wheel tyre.
You could stick your trainer in the post as it doesn't look as if you are using it.
€800!  :o I wouldn't spend that on a bike never mind something to attach a bike to!
Yeah sure why would you invest in your health!
You've probably spent that amount last year, if not more, on biscuits, crisps and beer!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on February 13, 2021, 06:43:21 PM
Yeah sure why would you invest in your health!
You've probably spent that amount last year, if not more, on biscuits, crisps and beer!
You can't go around fat shaming people in 2021 even if it is factually correct ;) MOD!!!!

manfromdelmonte

Out for my first cycle since October. We don't have space for a turbo trainer setup in the house unfortunately
The last few days were so mild I felt I had to get out

bennydorano

I was hoping there would have been a relaxing of the cycling rules from 2 back out to 6 (NI), not looking good unless something comes out in the finer details.

maddog

Just having a bit of a browse on the bike sales front and doesn't seem to have been a worse time to try and buy a new bike. Everything out of stock and no deals. Shipping from Far East is costing a fortune at the moment so prices are up and delays are inevitable given lack of vessel capacity westbound. Flipside is 2nd hand stuff selling for silly money on ebay. I bought 2nd hand one last year 56cm Trek Madone 5.2 on a whim and i suspect it is a fraction on small side. Annoying the way modern bikes come up with different frame sizes depending on the brand. Back in the day a 22" frame was a 22" frame.
Trek Madone has a mast rather than a seatpost, does anyone with experience of these know if you can get slightly longer mast? Doesn't seem to be much online about them.

grounded

Quote from: maddog on February 19, 2021, 11:46:25 AM
Just having a bit of a browse on the bike sales front and doesn't seem to have been a worse time to try and buy a new bike. Everything out of stock and no deals. Shipping from Far East is costing a fortune at the moment so prices are up and delays are inevitable given lack of vessel capacity westbound. Flipside is 2nd hand stuff selling for silly money on ebay. I bought 2nd hand one last year 56cm Trek Madone 5.2 on a whim and i suspect it is a fraction on small side. Annoying the way modern bikes come up with different frame sizes depending on the brand. Back in the day a 22" frame was a 22" frame.
Trek Madone has a mast rather than a seatpost, does anyone with experience of these know if you can get slightly longer mast? Doesn't seem to be much online about them.

Did you get any joy with the seat mast.  ???
      Anyhow, can't wait for the brighter evenings and a wee bit warmer weather. I dusted off the shorts yesterday evening and managed grand.
      Similar to last year for me. Obviously no group spins so less miles but trying to get out more frequently.  How are the rest of you getting on?

lurganblue

Completely new to all this.  Went last month and got a bike on the old cycle to work scheme.  Firstly, getting a bike below 1k wasn't easy! Been out a few times and have to say I have been enjoying it. Now I would have uttered the words that I wont be wearing all the gear but after a few outings it's quite clear that a bit of padding would go a long way lol.

Can anyone recommend me a pair of windproof cycling gloves for a reasonable price?   

bennydorano

Welcome to the world of cycling, prepare to say bye bye to your hard earned, it's never ending! I honest to God have 5 different sets of long fingers gloves for different wintery conditions,  then there's the fingerless mitts for summer!

Lidl Winter gloves are as good a pair of Winter gloves as you'll get for under a £10er. Planet X & Carnac (wool effect) are good spring/autumn gloves exactly what you need at the minute.

Gloves are £2.99 atm, ridiculous price, my favourite gloves!
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCGC/carnac-gripper-gloves

tonto1888

Any mountain bikers here? Just got myself a good old hard tail

grounded

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 19, 2021, 09:03:04 PM

Yep. Still do quite a bit of mountain biking though prob on the roadbike more frequently nowadays.

tonto1888

Quote from: grounded on April 19, 2021, 10:04:17 PM

Yep. Still do quite a bit of mountain biking though prob on the roadbike more frequently nowadays.

Any tips for a beginner

Milltown Row2

Some teams out and around Castlewellan/Hilltown/Bryansford on Saturday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

grounded

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 19, 2021, 10:46:24 PM
Quote from: grounded on April 19, 2021, 10:04:17 PM

Any tips for a beginner

I suppose depends what you want to do?
Where are you based? Do you intend to go to the trail centres such as Rostrevor, Castlewellan, Davagh etc. ?
      What bike do you have. Its a hard tail  i know but has it disc brakes.front suspension. Will it take you safely around these trails?

maddog

Quote from: grounded on March 18, 2021, 07:33:52 PM
Quote from: maddog on February 19, 2021, 11:46:25 AM

Did you get any joy with the seat mast.  ???
      Anyhow, can't wait for the brighter evenings and a wee bit warmer weather. I dusted off the shorts yesterday evening and managed grand.
      Similar to last year for me. Obviously no group spins so less miles but trying to get out more frequently.  How are the rest of you getting on?

No it seems the one on it is as long as they get.
Fleche Wallone race tomorrow on Eurosport will be worth watching. Finishes on the Mur de Huy basically a wall of a hill at the end. Going for Pogacar in that one, suspect Pidcock will go very close as well.