Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lár na páirce 1

League title will be between The Enda Lynn inspired bannsiders,cargin the Bt9ers and kickhams barring something very strange over course of the next few weeks.

Christmas Lights

It's just really a procession at this stage.  If Cargin went all out, they win the league.  They will cruise to another championship this year.  There is nobody stopping them.  We are watching Man City like dominance and its hard to know where it will end.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 09, 2024, 11:22:00 PMIt's just really a procession at this stage.  If Cargin went all out, they win the league.  They will cruise to another championship this year.  There is nobody stopping them.  We are watching Man City like dominance and its hard to know where it will end.

When they get to Ulster?

Only joking  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 09, 2024, 11:22:00 PMIt's just really a procession at this stage.  If Cargin went all out, they win the league.  They will cruise to another championship this year.  There is nobody stopping them.  We are watching Man City like dominance and its hard to know where it will end.

I dont know if Cargin have ever really cruised to a championship.

Since 20218:
Beat Creggan by a point (and well say no more about that game)
Beat Lamh Dearg by 2 (after a replay)
Beat Greggan by 3
Didn't get to final
Beat Aghagallon by 3
And then last year beat an overachieving Dunloy team by 5

Looking form the outside it would appear that they are there for the taking!
If you want to see actually cruising/dominance look at the Derry Senior Championships (either code)  :-\

Caesar

The scary thing is this is Cargin in transition and yet they are still a step ahead of the rest. The aul boys are being slowly phased out with quality young players already adding their value.

It's certainly not impossible that the likes of Creggan, St Bridget's or PG1 could beat Cargin on a good day, but I suspect anyone waiting on Cargin's dominance coming o an end will be waiting a long time.

imtommygunn

They are getting better though and I am not sure other teams are. I think you are over estimating St Brigids Caesar as I don't think they are in that group yet. (yes they're going ok in the league but very early stages for that).

Creggan 2+ years ago were the team that could challenge them but seem to have dropped off. If they can get back to their previous level then maybe they can challenge them. Jury still out for PG1 in championship (no offense BS!) too. LD not quite as good now either. They really should have beat them in Corrigan that time but Finucane basically have Cargin 2 goals. Honestly find it hard to see them being beat for a few years with the current lie of things.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 09, 2024, 01:30:27 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on May 09, 2024, 01:18:38 PM
Quote from: bannside on May 03, 2024, 06:09:29 PM100% SO82 about those two!

Let's just say their progress has been noted! Two of our best performers in last years narrow under 20 defeat to Donegal on penalties in Ballybofey..
Add Cahir Donnelly and Johnny Hannon to the promising U20 players above, both v impressive in Cargin v Aghagallon game last night. Not a dig, but Aghagallon quite negative throughout which made Johnnys coring performance all the more impressive.

With the team they had out It's difficult to 'open' up against such a talented Cargin team away from home?

I doubt theres many more teams in the county as "deplated" as cargin are at the moment...

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Níl a fhios agam on May 09, 2024, 04:18:40 PMvery good. Yes lets judge at the end of the season, though with previous records club and county i hope expectations arent too high

Didn't he just win the derry league with castledawson and get them promoted to senior? Guys record seems ok

Milltown Row2

Championship form doesn't always come from a brilliant league campaign, that said Cargin have always brought good energy to the league, a bit like Loughgiel in the hurling, so if you have a good result against these teams in the league you aint doing too bad.

Been impressed with Ballymena this year, sometimes its takes a while for tactics and so on to bed in, also a bitta luck with the league changing, again in hurling that worked out very well for St Enda's to bed in some good youth into their senior team and they have maintained that level for a while now.

The squad size and players fighting for positions on the starting 15 is also a big factor..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Caesar

Quote from: imtommygunn on Today at 09:44:18 AMThey are getting better though and I am not sure other teams are. I think you are over estimating St Brigids Caesar as I don't think they are in that group yet. (yes they're going ok in the league but very early stages for that).

Creggan 2+ years ago were the team that could challenge them but seem to have dropped off. If they can get back to their previous level then maybe they can challenge them. Jury still out for PG1 in championship (no offense BS!) too. LD not quite as good now either. They really should have beat them in Corrigan that time but Finucane basically have Cargin 2 goals. Honestly find it hard to see them being beat for a few years with the current lie of things.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss St Brigids who have been underachieving for a while, but I suppose time will tell

imtommygunn

It would be good if they were to get up there and would kick on with the underage teams but they have a lot to prove yet for me before being talked about as being anywhere near challengers. As per other counties our leagues are glorified friendlies for a while so it's hard to tell just yet.

Marevick

Quote from: Níl a fhios agam on May 09, 2024, 01:44:09 PMTrue. Dont blame any team which are depleted keeping score down and credibility against the likes of Cargin, Casements and Creggan at the moment.

Also seen St.galls where pipped by TNN. after a promising start, Galls surely disappointed at that result. TNN havent been good, though their hurlers are doing rightly

The modern game is very defensive, chess like if you will. Teams don't want to lose and will do anything within their powers to nullify an opposition teams game plan so that they can get something out of the result. That's understandable when stakes are high for certain teams that could be facing the drop.

TNN played a team that where unbeaten in the league last night. St galls had county players and A.l club winners playing, and they managed to defeat them by 2 points. Would have been 5 only for a late goal going by twitter.
TNN look to be in a good place and I find your statement on their current outlook to be a bit hasty but hey I don't know!?!