The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I would have just rolled him off against the advertising hoardings out of the way.

heganboy

I would hardly say Fowler is finished- he still looks like the only one of our strikers that can consistently put the ball in the back of the net. I'd love to see what he could do playing off Bellamy/ Kuyt when Momo is back controlling the middle and Stevie G can keep hitting his Hollywood balls into the strikers.
Consistently Liverpool flap with Dudek at the back- the keepers job isn't just to save the shots, he has to keep the back line organised, Dudek is failing miserably in that role. Interesting to see whether the kid will get a couple of games at the expense of the 2 more senior keepers. (did anyone else think Sander Westerweld got a rough deal) The first choice back 4 I would have with Finnan, Carra, Hypia and Riise are generally composed, and a presence behind them willl provide stability. Momo in the middle will allow Alonso to contribute more and see if Kewell can actually play.
Ah, but what would I know
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

SlimShady

Dirk Kuyt's career has gone downhill since The Goonies, its understandably hard to follow up such a glittering performance.

Gabriel_Hurl

Uninteresting trivia - the guy who played Sloth in the Goonies won 2 Superbowl rings with the LA Raiders

GalwayBayBoy

Interesting interview with Benitez in the Echo today.

It's time for us to get realJan 10 2007

Exclusive By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA Benitez says Liverpool must learn the lessons of last night's Carling Cup humiliation, as he urged the club to match Arsenal's ambition in the recruitment of young talent.

Benitez, who apologised for the 6-3 defeat, is deeply frustrated his efforts to create an equally powerful reserve line-up has been thwarted by lack of funds.

But the boss insists he was right to stand by his team selection at Anfield, and argued the gulf in class was a result of Arsenal's ten years of careful planning and recruitment.

He says Liverpool's prospective new owners must take note if they want the club to match the Gunners.

"The first thing we must do is say sorry to our supporters. They were magnificent and deserved better," said Benitez.

"Secondly, although we made mistakes in the game my players worked hard and I must recognise this.

"But when you analyse the situation, the conclusion which worries me is Arsenal could pick nine reserves and score six goals at Anfield. We had seven players of the first team and could not win.

"There is a lesson in this for the whole of our club. If you want to compete at the top level, you must be able to spend a lot of money not only on your first team, but on the young players and reserves.

"Arsenal spent £4m on Diaby, £4m on Denilson, £8m on Walcott and Baptista is a £22m player.

"They have been working for ten years to build a strong squad, and we have been working for two years. My scout department has done an excellent job, but sometimes we go too slow as a club to make signings we need, and when we do there is not a lot of money.

"Today, for example, we are signing a young Italian keeper on loan with an option for later. We've also been working for many weeks to sign the young Scottish player James McCarthy.

"These are the deals we are doing because we want to build a squad of similar quality in the future, but without spending big money it's difficult.

"The money we sign is for the first team, and when you look at the quality of Reina, Sissoko, Alonso, Bellamy and Crouch it's clear all are worth more now than when we bought them."

Benitez has come under fire for his team selection in the wake of the latest cup exit, but he's standing firm.

"I used Momo Sissoko in the Carling Cup against Birmingham and lost him for four months," he said.

"Last night we believe we've lost Luis for the rest of the season and Gonzalez and Warnock were injured. Steven Gerrard has a dead leg and Xabi Alonso a tight hamstring.

"What is more important? The Premiership, the Champions League or the Carling Cup?

"If Arsenal can play nine reserves and score six at Anfield, people should be asking why is this. It's not because of one game, it's because of many reasons. I picked a team with seven players from the first team last night.

Do people expect me to play Finnan every week? He has had to play in every fixture this season. The players I used were good players."

bingobus

Thats a very defensive and aggressive interview by Rafa. Very unlike him.

But fair play to him for explaining his position. He's still the man for me.

Gabriel_Hurl

Sampdoria goalkeeper Daniele Padelli will join Liverpool on a six-month loan deal, his agent has confirmed.

The Italy Under-21 goalkeeper will undergo a medical on Wednesday afternoon with the Reds before starting training under Rafael Benitez.

Agent Silvano Martina said: "Padelli will travel to Liverpool this afternoon.

"The clubs have agreed on a six-month loan deal and the player is excited at the prospect of playing for Liverpool."

Padelli, one of Italy's most promising goalkeepers, joined Serie B side Crotone on loan from Sampdoria in the summer with the aim of getting some first-team football under his belt.

However, the 21-year-old has merely served as an understudy to Salvatore Soviero, playing in just one league game.

Samp have cancelled the loan deal with Crotone which was set to run until June, and have accepted the offer made by the Premiership club.

Gabriel_Hurl

Garcia gone for the season  >:( >:( >:(

QuoteLiverpool have been dealt a serious injury blow with the news that Luis Garcia won't play again this season.
The Spaniard was stretchered off during last night's Carling Cup clash with Arsenal and a scan has today confirmed he has ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Liverpool Head of Press Ian Cotton said: "Unfortunately we expect to be without Luis for six months."

Chilean midfielder Mark Gonzalez, meanwhile, faces up to three weeks on the sidelines with the shin injury he sustained against the Gunners.

An x-ray after last night's game immediately confirmed there was no fracture, but a scan today has revealed severe soft tissue bruising and bruising to the bone of his right shin.

laoislad

laoislad

Have to be a good win tomorrow esp after what happenend mid week

Cloc Mor

Not before time - good to get the Arsenal hangover(s) behind us.

Gabriel_Hurl

Just what the lads needed after the last 2 games

10 clean sheets in last 11 EPL games - nice

Big one next weekend now - 6-pointer

supersarsfields

From the BBC

Liverpool are on the verge of agreeing a £156m takeover by the investment arm of Dubai's government.

The club's board of directors will discuss the final proposals by the Dubai International Capital Group at a meeting on Tuesday.

The deal, which will net chairman David Moores more than £75m, is close to bring completed, but is not expected to be finalised until next week.

Moores, who owns 51.6% of shares, made an initial investment of around £10m.

Interview: Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry

DIC has almost completed its due diligence, but Liverpool are keen to get the deal done in time to allow them to bring in some new players before the closure of the transfer window on 31 January.

It is unclear what level of investment in players will be made available to manager Rafael Benitez should the deal go through.

On Sunday, Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry said the deal was "not a quick fix, a rich man's play-thing. It's a long-term model for success, based around the new stadium".

"This will take us to the next level," he added.

So it might be done in time to get a couple of new players? Any ideas who might be drafted in?

Gabriel_Hurl

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6267319.stm

QuoteLiverpool have sent a letter to Fifa asking for special dispensation to sign Argentine midfielder Javier Mascherano on loan from West Ham.

Under Fifa regulations, Mascherano, 22, cannot play for another club this season because he has already represented Corinthians and West Ham.

But Liverpool hope Mascherano will be allowed to complete a move to Anfield.

A Fifa spokesman told BBC Sport that the "player status department" was currently considering the matter.

Mascherano arrived at Upton Park with international team-mate Carlos Tevez on 31 August.

But he has played only six minutes since the defeat at Tottenham on 22 October and is desperate to leave the club

But under the world governing body's rules, a footballer cannot play competitively for more than two different clubs between 1 July and 30 June the following year.