National Games Development Centre

Started by GlenMan, April 04, 2016, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: heffo on March 30, 2017, 10:14:58 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 30, 2017, 08:01:24 AM
Why are Dublin teams using this NATIONAL centre?

Teams are in using the fantastic gym facility

Saves the Dublin County Board having to develop their own centre, lets just use the one paid for by all the other counties!

85,000 players have used Abbotstown since it opened and 80% of those have been from outside Dublin.
Never mentioned the pitches

I'm on about the gym facilities

It's probably the best gym in the country. Its top class

DuffleKing

That 80% stat is very very dubious

heffo

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 30, 2017, 04:43:05 PM

Saves the Dublin County Board having to develop their own centre, lets just use the one paid for by all the other counties!

85,000 players have used Abbotstown since it opened and 80% of those have been from outside Dublin.

That's an easy one. Dublin paid for the gym kit out.

All the equipment, seats etc is embossed with Dublin crests.

blast05

Quote from: johnneycool on March 30, 2017, 03:52:47 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 30, 2017, 03:21:33 PM
Remember there are 5 x pitches that cost €100 for 90 minutes  without floodlights or €150 with lights. The place is packed out.

And with 80% from outside Dublin that's some going alright.

I suppose its better to have a National facility being used extensively rather than one in Athlone or wherever not being used.

You would be amazed at the amount of requests clubs around the Athlone area get for hosting training from different counties & clubs. I don't have figures but i know its pretty much a closed shop, i.e.: impossible for teams/counties that don't have pre-existing arrangements to get access to pitches

Jinxy

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 30, 2017, 05:20:37 PM

I'd say the fella running it is a Dub and all.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on March 30, 2017, 10:16:08 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 30, 2017, 05:20:37 PM

I'd say the fella running it is a Dub and all.

Kiwi. Supports Dublin though.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: heffo on March 30, 2017, 07:23:08 PM

Ok.
So why did the Dublin GAA get to put their elite performance gym into a National GAA Centre paid for by every member in the country?

heffo

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 31, 2017, 08:08:20 AM

Ok.
So why did the Dublin GAA get to put their elite performance gym into a National GAA Centre paid for by every member in the country?

That's probably a question for Paraic Duffy but it's just continuing a long tradition of Dublin paying for capital projects for other counties with their own centres of excellence while we try keep our heads above water.

You do understand that everyone gets to use that gym and Dublin don't get preferential treatment around booking etc?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on March 31, 2017, 08:22:46 AM

Ok.

That's probably a question for Paraic Duffy but it's just continuing a long tradition of Dublin paying for capital projects for other counties with their own centres of excellence while we try keep our heads above water.

You do understand that everyone gets to use that gym and Dublin don't get preferential treatment around booking etc?

That's not my understanding heffo, was told that Dublin got first preference as to when they wanted to use it seeing as they kitted out the gym. Are the back ballers available for everyone to use as Cullen wanted to lock them away? Can't believe the GAA let Dublin put in branded county equipment into a national centre. Actually now that I think about it, I can.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Tubberman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 31, 2017, 09:02:42 AM

Ok.

That's not my understanding heffo, was told that Dublin got first preference as to when they wanted to use it seeing as they kitted out the gym. Are the back ballers available for everyone to use as Cullen wanted to lock them away? Can't believe the GAA let Dublin put in branded county equipment into a national centre. Actually now that I think about it, I can.

Croke Park wouldn't dare tell Dublin that they can't.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

manfromdelmonte

Ok.

what are you on about?
what have Dublin payed for down in the likes of Westmeath, Longford or Roscommon?

what other county can feasibly use it, considering it is in Dublin?

heffo

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 31, 2017, 09:13:27 AM

Ok.

what are you on about?
what have Dublin payed for down in the likes of Westmeath, Longford or Roscommon?

Gate receipts from Leinster council games are largely used to fund capital projects for clubs throughout Leinster.

Every other county can use it, you just book the pitch online.

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 31, 2017, 09:02:42 AM

Ok.

I could no more tell you whether they left a specific piece of equipment they bought out than I could whether they left out clean towels.

blast05

QuoteGate receipts from Leinster council games are largely used to fund capital projects for clubs throughout Leinster.

Are you suggesting that Leinster gate receipts should not be used for Leinster capital projects .... and that they should instead be used exclusively for Dublin capital projects ?

Here are the attendance figures from football championship games in 2016:
Preliminary Round
Laois v Wicklow ... 4,575
Louth v Carlow ... 4,575 ((yes, seems strange its identical to 1st game but even if its wrong, its only 1 or 2K difference max)
Offaly v Longford ... 5,023

Quarter Finals
Wexford v Kildare ... 13,066
Laois v Dublin ... 16,764 (Match was on TV but lets be generous and assume 9K from Dublin)
Louth v  Meath ... 8,500
Offaly v Westmeath ... 8,123

Semi-finals
Westmeath v Kildare
Dublin v Meath ..... double-header 42,259, but lets assume 21K from Dublin)

Final
Dublin v Westmeath 47,840 (Let assume 34K from Dublin, 5K neutral and 8K from Westmeath)

Summary, Dublin attendance: ~64K
Other counties: ~86K

So why the hell shouldn't the bulk of Leinster council gate receipts go to capital projects outside Dublin? And yes, the proportion of capital grants allocated to the other Leinster counties is a higher percentage than their total attendance percentage .... but the unbalanced distribution of coaching money in favour of Dublin blows all your arguments out of the water.
Your sense of self-importance and entitlement in Dublin know no bounds

DuffleKing

Quote from: heffo on March 31, 2017, 09:17:06 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 31, 2017, 09:13:27 AM

Ok.

what are you on about?

Gate receipts from Leinster council games are largely used to fund capital projects for clubs throughout Leinster.

Every other county can use it, you just book the pitch online.

But sure it's in Dublin?

This has to be a wind up - you can't be this dense.