National Games Development Centre

Started by GlenMan, April 04, 2016, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenMan

QuoteThe GAA has officially opened its new National Games Development Centre at Abbotstown on the site of the National Sports Campus.
The recently completed project includes a total of five playing pitches - four of them full size and all of them floodlit -  a 3G pitch, a hurling wall and a pavilion which houses 10 dressing rooms, a reception area, gymnasium, physiotherapy facilities, referees rooms, meeting rooms and dining facilities. A covered seated spectator area adjoining the pavilion can cater for 400 people.

This look's like a fantastic facility but I have one question- What/Who is it for?

I'd say most people will never step foot in the place.

Dinny Breen

Since I'm from Kildare and we're AI champions in whinging it would be remit of me not to mention that of the three counties closest, Kildare have Hawkfield and it's debt, Meath have Dungany and it's debt, therefore it's only fair that Dublin get to use it.
#newbridgeornowhere

Stad

National games development centre???? :D :D :D Are they having a laugh? It's the Dublin games development centre and everyone knows it.

AZOffaly

I might look to book a slot in it for the craic. See what happens :)

Canalman

Afaik, Dublin will be paying fairly hefty rent to use it , if they choose to use it.

Read somewhere also that it is available for the many challenge games involving intercounty teams that struggle to get a venue to play games.

Virtually on the Meath border anyway  and on a motorway . A great location for challenge games for alot of counties. Ideal venue for say a Armagh/ Wexford  or say a Roscommon/ Down challenge game.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

More misery for Westmeath, couple of clubs do quite well hosting challenge games, etc. around the county.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

GlenMan

Quote from: Canalman on April 04, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
Afaik, Dublin will be paying fairly hefty rent to use it , if they choose to use it.

Read somewhere also that it is available for the many challenge games involving intercounty teams that struggle to get a venue to play games.

Virtually on the Meath border anyway  and on a motorway . A great location for challenge games for alot of counties. Ideal venue for say a Armagh/ Wexford  or say a Roscommon/ Down challenge game.

Okay but your don't spend €15 Million just to play challenge games and have a few training sessions. I mean if it was going to become HQ to parts of the GAA then it might be worth it but so far I haven't seen any plans for that sort of thing.

Jinxy

I heard Roscommon will be playing all their home games there from now on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Declan

I reckon the Fingal franchise will use it as HQ after the split  ;) ;)

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on April 04, 2016, 05:15:54 PM
Will enable ye bucks to have a look at First Division football then ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on April 04, 2016, 05:15:54 PM

Sure it is right beside the National Aquatic center so they should feel at home anyway.

twohands!!!

Lookit lads - this is why Frank Murphy's Cork decided to only have one pitch at the Cork new centre of excellence.

Stad

^ So again all of us are paying for something Dublin gain from. A new state of the art training facility to go along with paying for their 80,000 capacity home stadium, aswell ofcourse as paying for developing all their players. And do we hear a word of gratitude from the Dubs? Not at all. They have no shame.