Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

You were spot on itchy! Delighted with that I must say. It's a far cry from the doomsday/death knell stuff of January and we look to be going in the right direction again. One more big result and we're in the mix for promotion. It's going to be a very interesting finish.

southtyronegael

can we have mc gleenan back lads? will do a straight swap for him with mickey harte.

Westside

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 19, 2018, 11:07:04 AM
can we have mc gleenan back lads? will do a straight swap for him with mickey harte.

There's still lots that would let you have him for free...

Denn Forever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 19, 2018, 02:29:02 AM
You were spot on itchy! Delighted with that I must say. It's a far cry from the doomsday/death knell stuff of January and we look to be going in the right direction again. One more big result and we're in the mix for promotion. It's going to be a very interesting finish.

We've got it.  What do we need to go back up?  Down next saturday should be exciting.  Pray McVitee hasn't picked up an injury that hasn't been masked up by the adrenaline of thee day.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mrdeeds

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 25, 2018, 05:13:41 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 19, 2018, 02:29:02 AM

We've got it.  What do we need to go back up?  Down next saturday should be exciting.  Pray McVitee hasn't picked up an injury that hasn't been masked up by the adrenaline of thee day.

Will need to beat either Roscommon or Tipperary.

Itchy

Credit where it's due, Mattie has done a fantastic job in having us safe after 4 games and in with a shot at promotion. Clearly he has the players pulling hard with him and I don't recall a cavan team going to cork and winning before. So delighted to be proven wrong.

Down will not be easy as they will not want to slide into relegation battle and they've come to breffni and won before. Anyway it's great to have a bit of positivity about the place.

Anyone make the match, couldn't go myself.

tierworker blue

I was below. Great to get the win and it was well deserved!
I didn't get to Ennis, but I was at all the rest and there is a good consistency to the performances, which continued today.
That was the problem with last year...far too much chopping and changing and a different team sheet every week. We simply did not have a settled team. What we are seeing this year looks a lot more settled and the results so far are proving that right.

We played a really good first half, into a strong breeze. Cork were playing 13/14 behind the ball a lot of the time, which was hard to break down, but we chipped away. We fell away a bit in the second half, and were a fair bit more meandering in the first two thirds. It invited Cork onto us more than we needed. In fairness though, we defended well and gave away very few frees. We weathered the storm and if anyone was going to rattle the net it should have been us. Moynagh pulled a shot wide and both Galligan and Martin R had good efforts cleared off the line. Cork didn't really have any solid goal chances, but they did put a lot of scoreable point efforts wide. If they had been more clinical at that stage of the match, the gap could have been a whole lot tighter.

The last time I was there was a horrible h***r of a day in the qualifiers, so it is great to finally put that demon to rest!

I'll have to say that I'd prefer Galligan goals, purely for his restarts. Farrelly is a good keeper, no doubt, but his kick outs just aren't as accurate. We gave a few scores away, that came from poor restarts. When Murray came on, he worked really hard to make himself available for kick outs on a few occasions and he was picked out well, but there wasn't enough of it. Unless you really have no other options, the days of just hitting it in a lad's general direction are gone.

Ado Cole scored two lovely points (one under serious pressure) but I'm not convinced that he is the ff that we need. A decent footballer, no doubt, but he's a bit scattery betimes. I'd like to perhaps see David Brady getting a decent run in that position.

The pitch was in s***e...it was more beach than field and cut up very badly. I don't know how they played the hurling after, without losing the sliotar in some of the craters that appeared!

Westside

What's the predictions for the league finale lads??

To go 5 games unbeaten, 4 wins on the trot.. It would be a crying shame not to get promoted now. I think it will come down to a big game between ourselves and Tipp in Breffni to decide who goes up.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Westside on March 11, 2018, 07:33:49 PM
What's the predictions for the league finale lads??

To go 5 games unbeaten, 4 wins on the trot.. It would be a crying shame not to get promoted now. I think it will come down to a big game between ourselves and Tipp in Breffni to decide who goes up.

Only game that counts is the Roscommon match. This is the one I want us to get promotion from. If Roscommon lose it effectively blows their chance of promotion so they have to throw everything at us. We have something to prove to ourselves as well when it comes to the Rossies so if ever there was a league game to test our championship pulse then this is it.

Itchy

Very impressed with the year so far. That match yesterday was always going to be tough and I saw that murray and mcpbillips were missing at start and then the huge blow that killian wouldn't start I was sure that we'd be bet but there's a new steel in the team and along with timely subs and hit players stepping up we found a way to win. Mattie said he wanted to set one thing right this year - make breffni a fortress again. I hope he now focus on setting one other thing straight, getting one over our bogey team Roscommon. I know they've quality forwards but they are weak enough elsewhere. Down bet them and a very poor Meath team took a point. If we get well set up and up for the game no reason we couldn't set a few things straight. Hopefully so anyway

Westside

Lads what about Conor Brady being taken off early? Shades of last year's rashness from the line or the right decision? I know decisions are justified by the 2 points but...

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 11, 2018, 07:53:56 PM
Only game that counts is the Roscommon match. This is the one I want us to get promotion from. If Roscommon lose it effectively blows their chance of promotion so they have to throw everything at us. We have something to prove to ourselves as well when it comes to the Rossies so if ever there was a league game to test our championship pulse then this is it.

You wrote my post for me. My feelings exactly, I'm sick to me shite of losing to Roscommon in big matches. No disrespect to an opponent that's evenly matched with us but why we capitulate against them time and again bewilders me, so it would be a nice feather in the hat - after a very positive year so far - to get that monkey off our backs as well and claim promotion in the process. It would leave us under no pressure on the final day also, but look - let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's only three months ago we were fearing relegation and talking in terms of meltdown behind the scenes.

It should be played at championship pitch too so it will be a great developer for the team and give us supporters a great insight into the team. We seem to say this every game, every weekend, but this time it's true; the next test will be the toughest so far, and then the one after that, with Tipp, even tougher again.

Westside

Fair point lads, to get the Roscommon monkey off our backs and get promoted too would be a huge boost. Personally I think they're a better side and I'd be surprised if we won but the lads have met every challenge put in front of them so far.

Looking at the score differences it looks like a draw won't do us and we'll need the 2 points to go up.

Look-Up!

Quote from: cavanmaniac on March 11, 2018, 11:51:46 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on March 11, 2018, 07:53:56 PM

You wrote my post for me. My feelings exactly, I'm sick to me shite of losing to Roscommon in big matches. No disrespect to an opponent that's evenly matched with us but why we capitulate against them time and again bewilders me, so it would be a nice feather in the hat - after a very positive year so far - to get that monkey off our backs as well and claim promotion in the process. It would leave us under no pressure on the final day also, but look - let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's only three months ago we were fearing relegation and talking in terms of meltdown behind the scenes.

It should be played at championship pitch too so it will be a great developer for the team and give us supporters a great insight into the team. We seem to say this every game, every weekend, but this time it's true; the next test will be the toughest so far, and then the one after that, with Tipp, even tougher again.

We've struggled against teams like Roscommon and in championship in general. The way I look at it is this. We have had a lack of pace in the team for a long time, especially up front. We've been very structured in our defending too with plenty of cover back in the danger zone. We've looked good in league on heavier pitches against teams that don't run at you in numbers. Defenders can get comfortable and when a team suddenly runs at you more than you're used to it leads to confusion and panic. When two defenders in proximity have a lad run at them they may leave the tackle to the other defender which gives the runner an advantage to get goal side. Tackling after this point you're over committing and if you do manage to stop him will result in a foul. I think our understanding and tackling in defense has improved. More pace has been introduced too especially in attack and we look more mobile. If we are coughing up more scores in defense hopefully we have now more artillery to go toe to toe with teams in a more open game. The game against Roscommon will tell a lot on our development. So too will the Championship when pitches are drier.

mrdeeds

Oisin Kiernan being a great addition. Can take a point and a good kick passer. Squad is still bit shallow which Down game proved where we almost ran out of backs and Enda Flanagan playing corner back. Philips big loss and Murray and will need both for our two toughest tests. Heard over weekend that Philips is over 30. I actually thought he a young lad. He's being so impressive. Midfield is shallow too. What is the story with Buchannnan.